TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest LividLiquid
He still got pushed beyond the Roma deal, but he didn't get a fair shake as Berlyn.

I thought the Berlyn gimmick, with the whole refusing to speak English thing was great. I read somewhere it was killed or slowed because of Columbine. I wonder how true that is, or if it was a typical power play by one of the WCW big boys.

I was following the sheets back then and was a huge WCW fan. Nash had the book at the time and was quotes as saying he'd "Hit one out of the park" with the Berlyn debut, so it's doubtful the Good Ol' Boys network pulled the teeth out of the gimmick. The columbine thing happened much earlier than Berlyn's eventual debut. Wright was shown numerous times at ringside wearing a long black coat, sunglasses, a cane, and some metal rings and finger-claws. He looked fairly fierce. It was acknowledged on-screen that it was Alex Wright. This went on for a few weeks, then Columbine happened. They pulled the plug and didn't start airing Berlyn vinettes for some time. He debuted to a thunderous reaction. To say he was over would be an understatement. All this despite the fact that his "Translator" was some broad who couldn't act. In a move that made many, myself included, uncomfortable, many of Berlyn's first matches were against black opponents.

As I remember, Vince Russo took over shortly after his debut and jobbed him almost immediately. Wright disappeared and later returned to once again team with Disco Inferno.

The jobs he did as Berlyn to what was viewed as secondary talent happened before Russo took the book. When Russo took the book, that's when the decision to focus more on The Wall as the "star" of that whole package took place.

The jobs he did as Berlyn to what was viewed as secondary talent happened before Russo took the book. When Russo took the book, that's when the decision to focus more on The Wall as the "star" of that whole package took place.

Before Russo took over the book, Berlyn's only losses, that I can find, were DQ losses to Buff Bagwell on house shows. Berlyn was unbeaten on TV. While Russo's first Nitro saw Berlyn beat Rick Steiner, it was the job to Armstrong that was Berlyn's first pinfall loss, a clean one, and one that made zero sense and seemed to be done just to surprise.

I don't know why they didn't just push Berlyn and Wall as a tag team, since they both seemed like they were over with the crowd. Oh, that would have made sense, though.

Syxx is involved in two legendary Nitro promos:

Jericho and Syxx are in an argument about Jericho winning the Cruiser title from him at a "Pay-Per-Listen" event on Saturday Night...

Jericho: "...and I beat you, 1-2-3..."

Syxx: "You BEAT NOTHING until you got back to your hotel, pal!"

Flair to Syxx: "Because I've had more World Championships than you'd have pieces of ass, pal!"

Basically if your sexually related promo ends in "...pal!" it's probably gold.

While Russo's first Nitro saw Berlyn beat Rick Steiner, it was the job to Armstrong that was Berlyn's first pinfall loss, a clean one, and one that made zero sense and seemed to be done just to surprise.

That wacky Russo. :rolleyes:

I don't know why they didn't just push Berlyn and Wall as a tag team, since they both seemed like they were over with the crowd. Oh, that would have made sense, though.
Because they weren't "Whacky tag-team partners that didn't get along" and thus not the type of team Russo would push 99% of the time.

I always wanted Berlyn to be paired up with a Japanese guy to form the Axis Powers.

That's what my friends and I called the Tokyo Magnum, Disco Inferno, and Alex Wright team.

edit: Useless fact I found while browsing Wikipedia. Somebody turned heel at 4 straight Superbrawls: Elizabeth (96), Savage (97), Scott Steiner (98), and David Flair (99).

Amusingly enough, I think I have that coloring book somewhere. I got it for fifty cents at an Ames clearance sale. Ah Ames, worst department store ever. Brings back some memories.

Benoit looks black in that picture and Malenko looks like a huskier version of young Ben Stiller. And I don't think you could draw a less flattering picture of Naitch. I hate criticizing a coloring book picture too much but I could probably draw a better picture of The Horsemen!

A drawing I did of Mick Foley, Tony Atlas and the Barbarian was featured in WCW Magazine

I think that I remember that. I'm almost positive that I have that magazine stored away at my parents' house. Is it the one with Ron Simmons on the cover?

I wrote a letter to PWI or WOW magazine back in the early part of this decade but it didn't get published. Embarrassingly enough, my vague recollection of it was that I defended WCW in some way.

A drawing I did of Mick Foley, Tony Atlas and the Barbarian was featured in WCW Magazine

I think that I remember that. I'm almost positive that I have that magazine stored away at my parents' house. Is it the one with Ron Simmons on the cover?

I don't know who was on the cover. I just remember my grandma and I were at the corner store skimming through WCW magazine since some special WCW magazine they had wasn't on sale, and I freaked out, seeing my picture. Next to my crude drawing, is an awesome portrait of Windham, and one of Vader,=.

I don't know who was on the cover. I just remember my grandma and I were at the corner store skimming through WCW magazine since some special WCW magazine they had wasn't on sale, and I freaked out, seeing my picture. Next to my crude drawing, is an awesome portrait of Windham, and one of Vader,=.

I definitely have that one.

OK. Let's say that the Sid/Arn incident never happened, and Sid does go on to take the belt from Vader at Starrcade. How far would they have gone with him? Would he basically have followed the same path as Flair and just held it for Hogan?

OK. Let's say that the Sid/Arn incident never happened, and Sid does go on to take the belt from Vader at Starrcade. How far would they have gone with him? Would he basically have followed the same path as Flair and just held it for Hogan?

Probably, they could have even vaguely hinted at Sid and Hogan's past feud in the WWF and the fact that Hogan never pinned Sid (or vice versa, really).

I think I drew them without arms too.

That absolutely rings a bell. I only had a few WCW Mags in a rather large wrestling magazine collection, and I just happen to remember that quite well. Plus I remember stuff like that so much more accurately than I do things from the past few years or so. I'm totally gonna try and dig that up next time I go back home to visit.

Yeah in regards to Sid he would have had a nice run with the belt in 1994 and then probably unified it with Sting's bogus belt the same way Flair did. Then of course jobbed to Hogan. It might have worked better that way actually since they could have done that feud, then gone into Hogan/Flair in time for Starrcade, then Hogan/Vader a bit later into 1995.

Didn't WCW actually do TV tapings with Sid having the belt? Then once that whole scissors business happened, they had to scrap probably about 4 weeks worth of TV shows that were already filmed. I can only imagine someone who was in the crowd during those tapings only to watch the show the next week, and be like "Where's Sid? Isn't he the champion?"