TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

From the classic Observer posted today:

- Halloween Havoc 91 was scheduled to feature a PLEXIGLASS MAZE MATCH. How the hell would that even work?

- A "Red Georgia Clay" match had been in the works for a Clash. The ring would be filled with a quicksand like substance and the rules would be like a reverse battle royal.

I really hope Vince Russo is not a F4Wonline subscriber (actually I kind of hope he or someone in TNA DOES read that and thinks it's a great idea).

- Halloween Havoc 91 was scheduled to feature a PLEXIGLASS MAZE MATCH. How the hell would that even work?

- A "Red Georgia Clay" match had been in the works for a Clash. The ring would be filled with a quicksand like substance and the rules would be like a reverse battle royal.

I really hope Vince Russo is not a F4Wonline subscriber (actually I kind of hope he or someone in TNA DOES read that and thinks it's a great idea).

The crazy thing is that someone talked Dusty down off his high that produced the plexiglass maze match, but apparently they did nothing when he came up with "Chamber of Horrors".

This issue has a lot of interesting tidbits in it.

The crazy thing is that someone talked Dusty down off his high that produced the plexiglass maze match, but apparently they did nothing when he came up with "Chamber of Horrors".

This issue has a lot of interesting tidbits in it.

My 10 year old self was excited as hell for the Chamber of Horrors match...... :) I didn't know any better at the time.

I remember buying a Best of Halloween Havoc tape for the sole purpose of seeing Chamber of Horrors. Once I got a PWI Almanac and read those three little words, I HAD to see it.

Yes, WCW put Chamber of Horrors on an official Best of tape.

My 10 year old self was excited as hell for the Chamber of Horrors match...... :) I didn't know any better at the time.

If you are following the roster draft card presentations, then I've got something in storm for you.

I remember buying a Best of Halloween Havoc tape for the sole purpose of seeing Chamber of Horrors. Once I got a PWI Almanac and read those three little words, I HAD to see it.

That's how I saw the match. Can't beat the refer-eye camera.

The "This Day in History" bit on Raw about the Chamber of Horrors was tops. I need to see that again.

When they aired said bumper I was quick to point out how much worse the Kennel From Hell was... and it was. Way worse. Boring with, zero redeeming qualities. At least the Chamber of Horrors had random jobbers for either party to beat on.

So i'm watching Clash of the Champions 29. During Harlem Heat's entrance vs the Nasty boys, I see the little graphic says "Harlem Heat w/Sensuous Sherri". This was during Harlem Heat's "cell phone call" days. Then during the Nasty Boys entrance, they do it again. The match is just about over and Sherri comes out. Heenan and Schivonie have to sell this so they say "Oh my god we had no idea it was her." Classic WCW

So i'm watching Clash of the Champions 29. During Harlem Heat's entrance vs the Nasty boys, I see the little graphic says "Harlem Heat w/Sensuous Sherri". This was during Harlem Heat's "cell phone call" days. Then during the Nasty Boys entrance, they do it again. The match is just about over and Sherri comes out. Heenan and Schivonie have to sell this so they say "Oh my god we had no idea it was her." Classic WCW

To make matters even more comical, I'm quite certain that graphic popped during the Nasty Boys' entrance. The constant lack of communication between the booking committee and production staff always hindered the product.

Holy shit dude! I got that same tape about 10 years ago, and I too found that tape to be the funniest shit ever! I mean, a best of tape that has the chamber of horrors, AND the monster truck battle with Hogan/Giant, AND THE YETI!!!

And I don't think you could draw a less flattering picture of Naitch

He looks like Hugh Grant in that sketch!

I'll never forget my mom asking me why the Giant and a mummy were raping Hulk Hogan.

The Steiners/Nasty Boys match was pretty good, though.

I find it funny that it was the Yeti's only appearance! That tape was pretty much a roll call for wrestlecrap, except for maybe 2 matches.

Actually, The Yeti appeared at least one other match (The first World War III battle royal). Inexplicably, they changed his ring attire from a mummy to a giant ninja. Why couldn't they have dressed him in a white furry suit and just had him be an actual yeti?

Dustin Rhodes and Mystery Partner vs. The Enforcers (1/3)

I will always remember the crowd going absolutely insane for the finish. You had people jumping up and down, going all kinds of crazy. This is how you work a tag match.

One of the best matches WCW did. The people went ape-shit when Steamboat was revealed, the Enforcers sold it like death, and then they lost their minds when Steamboat/Rhodes won. Just a great, great, great tag-team match. It was also one of the few times a "mystery partner" really delivered.

Dustin was really good from 1991-94. It was in his last few months in WCW that he started getting unmotivated and then he turned to crap in the ring once he became Goldust.

That Best of Halloween Havoc tape rules the earth. The highlights include the following:

1989: Sting/Flair vs. Muta/Funk (good match actually)

1990: Sting vs. Sid with Windham's goofy disguise as Sting (Wrestlecrap moment)

1991: The Chamber of Horrors (Obvious Wrestlecrap, but it's a ton of fun)

1992: Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal~! (Do I even need to elaborate?)

1993: Flair vs. Rude (eh, just whatever)

1994: Flair vs. Hogan (cage match, best thing on tape)

1995: Hogan vs. Giant (Oh lord, this is hysterical. Who on earth would have a monster truck sumo style contest on the top of the arena, have one guy thrown off the top and seemingly die, then show up later unscathed for his match? And then have another giant dude dressed as a mummy come out and then pseudo rape Hogan in the center of the ring? Off the charts Wrestlecrap here.

1996: Hogan vs. Savage (Match is eh, NWO beatdown stuff is decent)

To make matters even more comical, I'm quite certain that graphic popped during the Nasty Boys' entrance. The constant lack of communication between the booking committee and production staff always hindered the product.

I'm watching Beach Blast 93 right now and a graphic for Lord Steven Regal popped up while Erik Watts was making his way to the ring. Boy, was this a common occurrence.

Dustin Rhodes and Mystery Partner vs. The Enforcers (1/3)

I will always remember the crowd going absolutely insane for the finish. You had people jumping up and down, going all kinds of crazy. This is how you work a tag match.

One of my earliest memories of WCW. Really great stuff, as I had become a big fan of

The Dragon

during the previous summer. This match was so awesome that it was aired on both All Nighter specials.

Dustin was really good from 1991-94. It was in his last few months in WCW that he started getting unmotivated and then he turned to crap in the ring once he became Goldust.

Dustin worked a style as Goldust that made the audience care more than they did when he was Dustin Rhodes. Don't know how that made him crap. Anyway, his match with Vader from Clash of the Champions XXIX, a few months before he was fired from WCW, is one of my favorites.

That Best of Halloween Havoc tape rules the earth. The highlights include the following:

1995: Hogan vs. Giant (Oh lord, this is hysterical. Who on earth would have a monster truck sumo style contest on the top of the arena, have one guy thrown off the top and seemingly die, then show up later unscathed for his match? And then have another giant dude dressed as a mummy come out and then pseudo rape Hogan in the center of the ring? Off the charts Wrestlecrap here.

No Vader vs. Cactus Jack?

No Vader vs. Cactus Jack?

Sting/Flair vs. Muta/Funk in the Thunderdome match is one of my favorites. I loved the fact they had a freaking rope in the cage that could be used... and then Muta putting out the props that caught on fire with the mist... freaking awesome.

Sadly no. They didn't put Vader/Cactus on there. I'm assuming that was because Foley was a major WWF star at the time of that tape's release?

What I meant about Goldust was this: I can name several good Dustin matches during his WCW run in the early 90s. But name one a single good Goldust singles match from his 1990s run. What does it say when his best match was probably a mixed tag with Luna vs. Sable/Mero?

His 2002 run was pretty decent however. The teaming with Booker worked and I do recall him having a decent match vs. RVD at No Way Out 2002.

I loved that mystery partner match, as I've always counted Steamboat amongst my top 5 favorite wrestlers. I've got it on tape somewhere and need to put it on DVD. I've also got that Clash match with Vader vs. Dustin...IIRC it was the first time Vader used the reverse powerbomb as a finisher.

The "This Day in History" bit on Raw about the Chamber of Horrors was tops. I need to see that again.

When they aired said bumper I was quick to point out how much worse the Kennel From Hell was... and it was. Way worse. Boring with, zero redeeming qualities. At least the Chamber of Horrors had random jobbers for either party to beat on.

The Kennel from Hell is funny as hell just for it being on the "Mick Foley: Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops" DVD with Foley and Kevin Kelly's alternate commentary. Especially Kevin Kelly insulting Al Snow's "K-mart bought attire" and Foley talking about the possibility of the dogs giving birth to more dogs during the match.

And was that the last time the blue cage was used?

The Kennel from Hell is funny as hell just for it being on the "Mick Foley: Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops" DVD with Foley and Kevin Kelly's alternate commentary. Especially Kevin Kelly insulting Al Snow's "K-mart bought attire" and Foley talking about the possibility of the dogs giving birth to more dogs during the match.

I just rewatched the Kennel From Hell this week, in its original format, it it was still more sad than funny. That match is really, really bad in my opinion. Less fun than the Chamber of Horrors, which was kinda of neat up until the electric chair bit.

Best line out of the 8/12/91 Observer posted today (Features a lot on Flair going to the then WWF and the rumblings about Watts possibly stepping in at WCW):

Jim Cornette sent a funeral wreath to Jim Herd at the WCW offices in Atlanta as sympathy for killing the promotion. Herd was said to have laughed it off.

I think it was used at Rebellion 2001 for Edge vs Christian.