TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

This got a legit LOL out of me at cawthon's site.

- 2/91: WCW World Champion Ric Flair was hospitalized for sustaining third-degree burns after having coffee spilled on him at McDonald's. Flair was scheduled to miss a week but missed only one or two days.

2/91: WCW World Champion Ric Flair was hospitalized for sustaining third-degree burns after having coffee spilled on him at McDonald's. Flair was scheduled to miss a week but missed only one or two days.

Now we know where they got the idea for the coffee angles!

So i'm watching Clash of the Champions 29. During Harlem Heat's entrance vs the Nasty boys, I see the little graphic says "Harlem Heat w/Sensuous Sherri". This was during Harlem Heat's "cell phone call" days. Then during the Nasty Boys entrance, they do it again. The match is just about over and Sherri comes out. Heenan and Schivonie have to sell this so they say "Oh my god we had no idea it was her." Classic WCW

To make matters even more comical, I'm quite certain that graphic popped during the Nasty Boys' entrance. The constant lack of communication between the booking committee and production staff always hindered the product.

Speaking of graphic fuckups, check out the commercial for the "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan/Sting WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match at WCW Starrcade 1997 (the one with Sting in the broken down Cathederal). They misspelled Hollywood "Hollvwood". Even when advertising WCW's biggest match ever they couldn't help but fuck up.

Speaking of graphic fuckups, check out the commercial for the "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan/Sting WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match at WCW Starrcade 1997 (the one with Sting in the broken down Cathederal). They misspelled Hollywood "Hollvwood". Even when advertising WCW's biggest match ever they couldn't help but fuck up.

Remember that graphic fuckup on Nitro in 99 or 2000, where they had the announcers names mixed up? That was hilarious!

Remember that graphic fuckup on Nitro in 99 or 2000, where they had the announcers names mixed up? That was hilarious!

For those of you that have the Starrcade 1996 VHS (EVEN THOUGH ON THE BOX IT'S LABELED AS STARRCADE 1997 *GROAN*), check out the advertisement for nWo Souled Out. At the end of the commercial, there is some text which reads

"IT'LL BE ON

ON VIDEO CASSETTE!"

What was with Rey Mysterio's attire @ Halloween Havoc 97? Was that just for the PPV or was he wearing full body suits back then? Also, was he heel?

Rey was never a heel until he lost the mask.

I remember hearing Rey's Havoc '97 gear referred to as his "Slam Evil!" attire back in the day, especially when it was included as his 4th alternate costume in WCW/nWo Revenge. I still remember marking out over how many masks and outfits you could do with Rey. Anyways, "Slam Evil" was the tagline for that Phantom movie with what's his name, so chalk it up as another one of Rey's superhero outfits, I guess.

Rey has a history of wearing really dorky attire. How about SummerSlam last year when he looked like the Silver Surfer?! :lol:

I thought it was pretty wicked when he appeared as The Flash at Wrestlemania one year.

Rey has a history of wearing really dorky attire. How about SummerSlam last year when he looked like the Silver Surfer?! :lol:

I thought it was pretty wicked when he appeared as The Flash at Wrestlemania one year.

That was WrestleMania XX. Awesome costume.

He's also dressed as DareDevil (WM19) and Spider-Man (Road Wild), along with the before mentioned suits.

Yea, I thought Rey's Daredevil costume was pretty badass. His old Spiderman and Flash costumes were great as well. I just didn't get into his short chubby Silver Surer outfit from Summerslam last year. There's even a Toys R Us exclusive two-pack with Chavo, of Rey in the Silver getup. Wonder whatever happened to those sweet sleeveless coats that he wore for a short time after debuting in WWE?

I remember hearing Rey's Havoc '97 gear referred to as his "Slam Evil!" attire back in the day, especially when it was included as his 4th alternate costume in WCW/nWo Revenge. I still remember marking out over how many masks and outfits you could do with Rey. Anyways, "Slam Evil" was the tagline for that Phantom movie with what's his name, so chalk it up as another one of Rey's superhero outfits, I guess.

The Phantom was played by Billy Zane.

What was that WCW PPV where all the faces were booed out of the building and all the heels were cheered like crazy?

I think it featured DDP vs Scott Steiner. May have been sometime in 1998.

What was that WCW PPV where all the faces were booed out of the building and all the heels were cheered like crazy?

I think it featured DDP vs Scott Steiner. May have been sometime in 1998.

They had a PPV match at SuperBrawl IX which was in 1999. Maybe that was it.

Starcade 86 UPDATE. Fat Tony lists Ronnie Garvin and Dusty as the 2 men in consideration to Face Ric Flair. Apparently Nikita swooped in as a dark horse.

Also features a "drunk" Jimmy Valient talking about being in 'NAM like the Ragin Bull

Why was Bret Hart used so little when he first came to WCW? With how badly they wanted him you would think they would've thrown him into the main event right away. I know he met Flair at Souled Out, but the next weeks after that he was barely on Nitro.

Here's some things that i waas reading on DDTDigest from the Nitro Report on 01/04/99 (Fingerpoke of Doom):

+ Tony: "Fans, don't even think about changing the channel, because we've learned that at our competition, Mick Foley, who used to wrestle here as Cactus Jack, is going to win their world title! Heh, talk about putting asses in the seats." That was wrong. However, I'd think it was a lot more wrong if the WWF hadn't spoiled the result on their own webpage.

+ Fan report # 1 of the Fingerpoke of Doom: Despite the fact that I had read ahead of time that the original Wolfpac would be reformed, it was interesting to see the reactions of the 30,000+ marks in attendance. I hate to say it, but it was awesome seeing Goldberg get punked. And even from where we were sitting, you could HEAR the crackle of the cattle prod that Scott Hall was using. After they went off the air, Goldberg got loose. As the nWo made their way to the back, about 12 of the Falcons came out. Why they didn't come out earlier, I don't know. There was a lot of hyping of things going on in the ring, talk of the Falcons, hugging, etc. Too little, too late. All in all, it was a fun time, but whether or not I'll go again is up in the air.

Someone actually thought that it was awesome. :huh:

+ Fan report #2 of the Fingerpoke of Doom: At the end, the reformed nWo got pettled with trash from the audience all the way to the entrance/exit. I think that Nitro has already gone off by then, based on the monitors, which we saw the whole Goldberg incident on. When Goldberg finally got up he challenged Nash to come back and wrestle him if Nash has the balls for it. A good number of the Atlanta Falcons football team came down to the ring to be with Goldberg. He challenged Nash to fight another time if he didn't want to fight tonight.

After the final match, the two friends who I went with and I started chanting "We got screwed!" We hoped to get the whole audience to do it with us, but to no evail. I said, "Where do we get a refund?" What I really hated was what happened after NITRO. It is extremely cold in Atlanta right now. We had to stand outside with a huge crowd waiting for MARTA (a rail system in Atlanta). I mean, we paid about $30 apeice to see what is one of the worst NITROs that I have seen. Then, we had to stand in the cold waiting for the train while the people who ripped us off (Bischoff primarily) were no doubt in a nice warm area.

Just a personal thought. Why is it that a guy that hasn't wrestled in months and has cost WCW money on pay per views and announces that he is retiring, is allowed to come back after this long absence and win the belt without any pretense of wrestling. Is Eric Bischoff that stupid? Needless to say there were not a lot of happy people there tonight after the show.

Why was Bret Hart used so little when he first came to WCW? With how badly they wanted him you would think they would've thrown him into the main event right away. I know he met Flair at Souled Out, but the next weeks after that he was barely on Nitro.

Bischoff makes it sound like he wanted Bret to be a Thunder main eventer, as his signing was mostly due to wanting new faces to carry a show he didn't even want to run. He blames Bret never letting Montreal go for never achieving a real WCW peak.

That and WCW's usual politics.

I remember Bret appearing on WCW Live (WCW's online radio show...I think that's what it was called, anyway), and detailing who idiotically he had been handled since coming to WCW. It sure didn't sound like it was just Bret being a whiner that was at fault. He mentioned how he was sometimes flown in to shows and not even used, and they kept changing his chracter's direction over and over, with stuff like becoming the "nWo recruiter" and crap.

Black Bart's shoot is awesome for sheer BS level:

30 mins in so far, He claims Dusty Rhodes came up with the Undertaker gimmick, and that Black Bart was supposed to play that character.

He also claims he's the biggest locker room legend in today's WWE (for his antics back in the day)

Piper had a warrant for his arrest, so Bart pulled a car up to the ring w/ Piper in the trunk, popped it, Piper wrestled, and then hopped back in the trunk and they took off.

Oh God, Black Bart actually just claimed he was offered 180 grand to star in a Fox Network sitcom based on his, Dutch and Moondog Rex "Desperodos" gimmick. Flair told The TBS execs "We can't have these jabronis star in a show" So WCW released them and the Sitcom was canceled.

This is a great man!

Ronnie Garvin would get sexually excited when you worked "stiff" with him.

He actually called himself vs Sam Houston a "Main event" match. Of course the place was sold out, and of course they had such a great match, the other 4 "Main Events" of the evening couldn't compare.

Vince McMahon wanted to bring him in and work the upper midcard and offered him a "job for life", Bart declined, so when he went to WWF a year or 2 later, Vince made him a jobber out of spite.

A week after Mike Von Erich got out of the hospital, Bart carried him in a match for 45 minutes, then asked the ref "Is this the boy who just got out of the hospital?" After the ref said yes, Bart said "Oh shit" and took Mike down and pinned him.

When David Von Erich died he laid in his hotel room for 2 weeks with the A/C shut off and stayed there til Fritz came to Japan 2 weeks later and snagged the body.

He claimed to have threatened Jose Gonzalez (Brody's killer) with a knife shortly after Brody's death.

Bart just said in 1991 the ring crew was all 18 or 19 year old queer men, and Vince had a tour bus for them, and would spend an odd amount of time on the bus with the gays.

He also says Lanny Poffo was gay, and came on to him. Vince found out Bart told Lanny off, and Bart was released shortly there after...