TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Good lord, Flair's haircut is atrocious in that clip.

I remember in junior high when nearly every guy was sporting the mushroom cut. That's a trend that I never want to deal with again.

Windham and Rotundo high-fiving during the interview segment was especially awesome.

As previously mentioned, Flair had to cut his hair like that at the urging of Jim Herd to perform a spartacus gimmick that never materialized thank god.

As per the most recent Classic Observer, WCW at one point had worked out a deal with Jerry Jarrett for a world title unification match between Lex Luger and Jerry Lawler. This was going to reintroduce the NWA (and WCW was hoping they'd get the belt back from Flair) and the idea would be Luger issued a challenge for title unification and those cowards Flair and Hogan wouldn't respond, but Lawler would have. I am quite sad to learn we never got Luger vs. Lawler in WCW.

It was scrapped because Heyman told Eddie Gilbert and Jerry Jarrett felt word of the angle leaked out too much. Heyman was suspended over the whole thing.

I had never heard about the whole Luger/Lawler thing before so that was an interesting read.

Still, Paul E.'s suspension didn't last long as he was back by Halloween Havoc to manage Rick Rude (as it was alluded to in the Observer)

Sounds interesting, but I don't see what good it would have done long term. Seems like it would have been another deal like the AWA/WCCW unification.

Who would have won though? They wouldn't have given the WCW title to Lawler would they?

Luger would have ended up beating Lawler, which some say is why the whole mess happened to begin with. The initial thought was that Jarrett wanted to nix the deal because word had leaked out and Jarrett , being big on keeping his angles secret, was upset over that. However, most quickly dismissed that and considered it more likely that when Jarrett and Lawler realized the angle was going to end with Lawler putting over Luger, they wanted out of it and used the excuse of news of the angle leaking, placing the blame for that leak on Heyman, as reason to back out.

The next week's Observer recaps an Eddie Gilbert radio interview in which he denies mentioning Heyman's name to Lawler. Lawler had claimed Eddie told him he heard news of the angle from Heyman, which is why Heyman was suspended by WCW. The suspension was dropped because WCW realized they had no real basis to suspend Heyman in the first place.

Who would have won though? They wouldn't have given the WCW title to Lawler would they?

Luger would have ended up beating Lawler, which some say is why the whole mess happened to begin with. The initial thought was that Jarrett wanted to nix the deal because word had leaked out and Jarrett , being big on keeping his angles secret, was upset over that. However, most quickly dismissed that and considered it more likely that when Jarrett and Lawler realized the angle was going to end with Lawler putting over Luger, they wanted out of it and used the excuse of news of the angle leaking, placing the blame for that leak on Heyman, as reason to back out.

The next week's Observer recaps an Eddie Gilbert radio interview in which he denies mentioning Heyman's name to Lawler. Lawler had claimed Eddie told him he heard news of the angle from Heyman, which is why Heyman was suspended by WCW. The suspension was dropped because WCW realized they had no real basis to suspend Heyman in the first place.

And I might just be reaching here, but something tells me Heyman, as a son of a lawyer, probably threatened some legal action as well?

Too bad they didn't work out an agreement where Lawler would be on loan to WCW and had him win the title from Luger and sort of hold the belt hostage, similar to the Punk/title angle in ROH. Then they could have Sting be the conquering hero and take the title back.

I am not sure but, why was Dwayne Bruce but with Goldberg against Luger/Bagwell?

Also, when Goldberg/Bruce lost to Luger/Bagwell, why was the lame Goldberg fan who was seen getting an autograph from Goldberg at Sin, the reason why Goldberg had to retire?

Also, was the fan going to part of the WCW roster or something?

Or was it just some lame shock-value WCW tryed? Which didn't work.......hahah

They had built up Bruce as Goldberg's trainer from his Power Plant (WCW's training center) days. I vaguely remember the autograph kid leading to Goldberg losing, but I don't remember anything about how. However, I do know WCW, so it had to be a nonsensical swerve that never led anywhere.

My memory's a bit foggy- but during the angle where Goldberg had to replicate the 174-0 streak, Ric Flair ordered him to wrestle Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker...err Dwayne Bruce. Goldberg didn't want to have to fight his old mentor but Bruce told him to man up and that it was only business and Goldberg proceeded to squash him. I think to make up for beating the crap out of him, Goldberg picked Bruce as his tag team partner in his career match against Totally Buff.

Along the lines of the PBS documentary, I marked the fuck out during an episode of Whose Line a few years ago. Bunch of clips of Mike Awesome and I think Harlem Heat used in a game.

I just saw that episode a few weeks ago. Pretty sure it was GAB 2000. Booker was featured fighting Stasiak and I remember an Awesome Bomb through a table on DDP, plus a lousy catfight involving Sharmell, Sunny and a double ball claw on Charles Robinson. I know it's an issue of studio footage and everything, but it amused me that they showed WCW footage, but any other references to wrestling were generally WWF, including Chyna appearing as a guest. I'm sure if Drew were a WCW fan, he'd have shown up long before Rumble 2001, with the way WCW chewed through celebrity appearances.

I seemed to remember on a random episode of Thunder that had Lex Luger (who was in the Wolfpac) and DDP win the tag titles. The title change was scrapped the next week and them winning the straps was never mentioned again. Why wasn't the title change officially recognized?

I seemed to remember on a random episode of Thunder that had Lex Luger (who was in the Wolfpac) and DDP win the tag titles. The title change was scrapped the next week and them winning the straps was never mentioned again. Why wasn't the title change officially recognized?

It occurred during the time where Sting and The Giant were co-holders, but were not getting along. Giant teamed with Brian Adams for this match, but did not have full authority to defend the belts without Sting's approval, so the decision was struck down. Another one of those Dusty finishes that the fans love so much.

http://www.ddtdigest.com/updates/1998061t.htm

Know what's hilarious about that WCW/USWA ill fated crossover? In the early 90s I think the USWA actually drew better it its main areas (Memphis, Louisville, Nashville) than WCW was drawing in its home area.