TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Know what's hilarious about that WCW/USWA ill fated crossover? In the early 90s I think the USWA actually drew better it its main areas (Memphis, Louisville, Nashville) than WCW was drawing in its home area.

I remember watching footage of the World Tag Team Championship tournament in the fall of 1991 where they were running some arena that looked like it was supposed to hold a few thousand minimum, and there were, maybe, four or five hundred people piled around the ringside area with a sea of empty red chairs behind them. I'm surprised that they aired such embarrassing footage.

From the March 11, 1991 WON:

Kevin Nash (Master Blaster) will be changed into Black Blood and be managed by Kevin Sullivan.

Black Blood was Billy Jack Haynes, wasn't it?

Yeah, and according to him he came up with the whole gimmick and pitched it to WCW. So it seems weird to hear that someone else was slated to get it.

Not sure why he'd lie about it though...it's not like it was some wildly successful gimmick like Razor Ramon or something. What was he around for, like six months or so in total?

Speaking of big guys under masks, what was the deal with Hercules Hernandez coming in under a mask as "The Super Invader?" Seemed like Herc was a big enough star he could have come in under that name...or did they figure he had been jobbed out too much as part of Power & Glory in WWF?

Knowing the way that WCW did things, it wouldn't shock me if Madusa was paid while sitting around at home.

I don't know why Hercules was given the gimmick, but all of the guys managed by Harley Race (Vader, the Kongs, Yoshi Kwan) all had some sort of weird Asian gimmick.

Been watching some stuff from 1999, and, boy, sometimes WCW didn't know when to not swerve the people.

I'm certain that the Bagwell injury from 1998 and the subsequent angle where he got the best of Rick Steiner has been discussed, so I won't get too deep into how badly the screwed the pooch on that one. Buff should have become an instant babyface the moment that he was cleared to come back, but they deep-sixed a sure thing in swerving the audience and having him run back into the nWo's arms. Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

Now, onto another instance that is most likely forgotten. During the decently-conceived but ill-fated nWo Black and Silver angle, Scott Steiner came out and sincerely announced his retirement as a result of complications related to a (back?) injury. This was actually one of the few times in Steiner's late WCW career where he could have come off as a big time babyface. Like, profitable babyface. Then, Bret Hart bum-rushed the ringside area and gave Steiner a hard time for going soft and retiring, when he had all the tools to join the refurbished, elite nWo squadron that he was heading. This was a good opportunity to swerve everybody, but in the right way. Instead we were treated to a predictable, dead-end swerve, with Steiner aligning with the New World Order. Perhaps this was all after the company had passed the point of no return, but still, this was just another big step in the wrong direction, regardless of how much better Steiner was as a heel.

Not sure why he'd lie about it though...it's not like it was some wildly successful gimmick like Razor Ramon or something. What was he around for, like six months or so in total?

Speaking of big guys under masks, what was the deal with Hercules Hernandez coming in under a mask as "The Super Invader?" Seemed like Herc was a big enough star he could have come in under that name...or did they figure he had been jobbed out too much as part of Power & Glory in WWF?

Maybe Hercules had been trademarked as a wrestling name by the WWF. I think he went by Werewolf in Canada later too.

Doesn't explain why you cover up his recognizable face and make him work a faux martial arts style. They could have easily just called him Samson and given him the exact same gimmick. The way they did it you could have had George South go out there under a mask as Super Invader. Why pay for a recognizable face, only to cover it up and change his style completely?

Doesn't explain why you cover up his recognizable face and make him work a faux martial arts style. They could have easily just called him Samson and given him the exact same gimmick. The way they did it you could have had George South go out there under a mask as Super Invader. Why pay for a recognizable face, only to cover it up and change his style completely?

Yeah, exactly. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Super Invader thing was just supposed to be temporary, and then he would have later wrestled just as Hercules or something else. Kind of like when WWF brought back Jim Neidhart and had him as Who? for a while, kind of just to give him something to do until Bret Hart came back.

They also did this with the Warlord and Barbarian, actually calling them the Super Invaders, IIRC. I think it was in 1995 because they might have been in that years World War 3 battle royal. Soon after, Warlord was gone and Barbarian was in the Faces of Fear with Meng.

Yeah, exactly. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Super Invader thing was just supposed to be temporary, and then he would have later wrestled just as Hercules or something else. Kind of like when WWF brought back Jim Neidhart and had him as Who? for a while, kind of just to give him something to do until Bret Hart came back.

Supposedly "Who" was supposed to be a rib on Hogan

Why Neidhart got the gig (weight gain rumor) is beyond me

They also did this with the Warlord and Barbarian, actually calling them the Super Invaders, IIRC. I think it was in 1995 because they might have been in that years World War 3 battle royal. Soon after, Warlord was gone and Barbarian was in the Faces of Fear with Meng.

I think they were actually "The Super Assassins", but I could be wrong.

Just watched the 41 man battle royal from Thunder in 2000. At the end of the match while DDP & Jarrett are climbing up the stage, it looks like David Arquette comes out w/ a guitar & is gunna hit them with it. Then he falls through the stage...was this planned or did he accidentally go through the stage? Because the announcers don't even mention it & the camera avoids the area.

From the latest Observer archive edition: 12/2/91

Muta was apparently going to be Rhodes' secret partner for the Clash in the event that the Steamboat deal didn't come off.

That would have been an interesting dynamic and "what-if" situation. Rhodes/Steamboat vs. The Enforcers was and still is one of my favorite matches, and it's one of the best WCW matches I can remember. Steamboat's arrival as the mystery partner and the subsequent sell job by The Enforcers are both things of beauty.

Hmm, Hercules was Super Invader? I did not know that. I still remember watching the unveiling of Super Invader with my Mother, and Grandparents back in the day. What's funny is I was the only person interested and they were just kind of watching. Anyways, when they finally showed the guy, we all burst out laughing. Especially at his weird gloves that made him look like he only had 3 fingers. Even as an impressionable 10 or 11 year old, I thought Super Invader looked ridiculous.

From the latest Observer archive edition: 12/2/91

Muta was apparently going to be Rhodes' secret partner for the Clash in the event that the Steamboat deal didn't come off.

That would have been an interesting dynamic and "what-if" situation. Rhodes/Steamboat vs. The Enforcers was and still is one of my favorite matches, and it's one of the best WCW matches I can remember. Steamboat's arrival as the mystery partner and the subsequent sell job by The Enforcers are both things of beauty.

Arn Anderson protesting "Not Ricky Steamboat!!!" was super. One of my all-time favorite WCW matches as well.

Just watched the 41 man battle royal from Thunder in 2000. At the end of the match while DDP & Jarrett are climbing up the stage, it looks like David Arquette comes out w/ a guitar & is gunna hit them with it. Then he falls through the stage...was this planned or did he accidentally go through the stage? Because the announcers don't even mention it & the camera avoids the area.

I'm pretty sure DDP and Jarrett had a spot where one or both of them would end up going through a gimmicked part of the stage. Then Arquette fucked up and fell through it. I think they still did the spot, maybe with a table instead.

I'm pretty sure DDP and Jarrett had a spot where one or both of them would end up going through a gimmicked part of the stage. Then Arquette fucked up and fell through it. I think they still did the spot, maybe with a table instead.

Chances are that WCW did not rehearse the spot to begin with.

A fan named Bret Clark sues Michael Buffer for illegal use of his name for an incident in which Buffer accidentally mispronounced Bret Hart’s name at a PPV

From a WON in 2000

Any news on this one?

A fan named Bret Clark sues Michael Buffer for illegal use of his name for an incident in which Buffer accidentally mispronounced Bret Hart’s name at a PPV

From a WON in 2000

Any news on this one?

I'm sure that if there's any truth to this, it goes a little something like the guy files suit and it gets thrown out.

I remember laughing hysterically when Buffer did that...what did he call him "Hitman' Bret Clark" or something? I remember Hart looked pissed about it, too, and there were rumors that someone at WCW purposely gave Buffer the wording like that in order to humiliate Bret.