TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Johnny B Badd skipped a US title shot in Oct 95 on WCW Sat Night.... where did the storyline go?

It was a Television Title shot, and he missed out because then-champion DDP let the air out of his rental car tires. He captured the belt at Halloween Havoc, the subsequently won the Diamond Doll and Page's 3.5 million dollars, before dropping the belt to Luger and going to the WWF.

I watched the Nitro from that night, it was originally a US title shot

1. Yes.

2. According to Bischoff's book, he resented the way that Russo double-crossed Hogan and buried him on the microphone at Bash at the Beach. Bischoff figured that he would give Russo "enough rope to hang himself" if he relinquished full-creative control to Vince, and he was right.

3. I forget. Wasn't very long, though. I don't know what you mean by your last sentence.

Before Goldberg turned heel, WCW was hyping that something HUGE was going to happen at their PPV, and "there was nothing that Vince McMahon could do about it". Pretty fucking stupid when all it was, was Goldberg turning heel.

Wow. I didn't have internet access until late 1999, so I missed out on all the buzz from the WCW/WWF war until then. I can only imagine all the crazy stuff that was going around.

That promo caused a lot of internet freak out as we have NEWZ sights declaring "Shane McMahon is jumping to WCW as an executive after a falling out with his father"...etc

Other rumors including a merger with ECW, a deal with Fox and Michael Jordan appearing at the show. Really.

Johnny B Badd skipped a US title shot in Oct 95 on WCW Sat Night.... where did the storyline go?

It was a Television Title shot, and he missed out because then-champion DDP let the air out of his rental car tires. He captured the belt at Halloween Havoc, the subsequently won the Diamond Doll and Page's 3.5 million dollars, before dropping the belt to Luger and going to the WWF.

I watched the Nitro from that night, it was originally a US title shot

I remember now. He never did get that U.S. Title shot, did he?

Before Goldberg turned heel, WCW was hyping that something HUGE was going to happen at their PPV, and "there was nothing that Vince McMahon could do about it". Pretty fucking stupid when all it was, was Goldberg turning heel.

* facepalm *

Yeah, that's what I remember.

Bischoff gave a telephone interview on the Nitro before that and he was getting angry when he was talking about his big surprise. Then at the PPV when Goldberg shows up he just starts saying "Surprise! Surprise!" Like it's some huge deal.

Funny, because the Goldberg heel turn didn't go over AT ALL.

I remember getting into the last days of WCW. Especially the Goldberg/Steiner series. I was always kind of a mark for the Goldberg character. I liked the badass destroying machine concept, just not the guy behind it all. But, I hate a lot of actors too and still enjoy their movies.

I remember the Goldberg/Scott Steiner matches. I thought they clicked pretty well, and would have liked to have seen more of them. The only thing I can even remember from the Goldberg heel run, is WCW turning his botched kick on Bret Hart into a bit of a secondary finisher for him (IIRC), dubbing it the "Concussion Kick". Classy, I know. I vaguely remember WCW trying to get heat on him by having him beat the holy hell out of Hacksaw Jim shortly after he had gotten some kind of surgery.

Guest Smues

The thing I remember most from Goldberg's awful heel run was that three way match with Steiner and Nash at....New Blood Rising maybe? And Goldberg 'shooting' and 'leaving' and the announcers bitching about how unprofessional he was and that Nash and Steiner would have to improvise a new finish.

Just awful.

The big surprised that turned out to be the Goldberg turn was supposed to be the Mandalay Entertainment(?) buying WCW for $600m.

That's what they were initially hyping? Would the fans even know how to react to that?

Goldberg punching Hacksaw Jim Duggan in the kidneys was awesome

That actually was a good angle. They built up Duggan as a real sympathetic character by referencing the kidney surgery before having Goldberg beat the living hell out of him. He was coughing up blood and everything. That was one of the few times during that run that Goldy actually seemed like a badass heel.

IIRC, the whole "McMahon can't do anything about it" story was also due to the rumors that Steve Austin would be returning as a heel, so Bischoff spited him (and himself, as it would turn out) by turning his biggest babyface heel before McMahon could shock the world with an Austin turn.

The thing I remember most from Goldberg's awful heel run was that three way match with Steiner and Nash at....New Blood Rising maybe? And Goldberg 'shooting' and 'leaving' and the announcers bitching about how unprofessional he was and that Nash and Steiner would have to improvise a new finish.

Just awful.

Yeah, it was at NBR. That whole scenario reached a new level of embarrassing, even for Russo. Almost as bad was the follow up on Nitro the next night, when Russo had Tank Abott in the ring with him and called out Goldberg, swearing, and saying he was going to get a real beating or some stupid shit. Goldberg comes out and he and Tank have this terrible brawl, that is supposed to be real, and they're using moves like irish whips. In the mean time, you've got Russo on commentary, screaming like an idiot and acting like it's a shoot, even screaming to go to a commercial when Goldberg has the advantage. With garbage like this, it's baffling that some people still defend Russo's post-WWF tenures.

Was there a moment when Jim Garvin turned heel and started teaming with Michael Hayes (89ish) or did they just come out to the ring for a match. I don't remember Garvin doing anything at all after his feud with Flair over Precious faded away and at around that time Hayes would have been a face in World Class.

Was there a moment when Jim Garvin turned heel and started teaming with Michael Hayes (89ish) or did they just come out to the ring for a match. I don't remember Garvin doing anything at all after his feud with Flair over Precious faded away and at around that time Hayes would have been a face in World Class.

Garvin debuted as the "new" Freebird member at the June '89 Clash of Champions (VII). From what I've gathered, they hyped that the Birds would be getting a new member (Gordy was still with NWA/WCW at the time), and out came Jimmy Garvin with Hayes and Bam Bam. They went on to win the World Tag-Team Titles at that show.

Garvin debuted as the "new" Freebird member at the June '89 Clash of Champions (VII). From what I've gathered, they hyped that the Birds would be getting a new member (Gordy was still with NWA/WCW at the time), and out came Jimmy Garvin with Hayes and Bam Bam. They went on to win the World Tag-Team Titles at that show.

Yup. Garvin started going by "Jimmy Jam." He and P.S. clicked pretty well as a tag-team, actually. I'd venture to say they were more cohesive as a team than either Hayes/Gordy and Hayes/Buddy Jack.

Yup. Garvin started going by "Jimmy Jam." He and P.S. clicked pretty well as a tag-team, actually. I'd venture to say they were more cohesive as a team than either Hayes/Gordy and Hayes/Buddy Jack.

Garvin being the unofficial "4th Freebird" in World Class helped that a great deal.

Garvin being the unofficial "4th Freebird" in World Class helped that a great deal.

True, true.

I was watching an interview with Jimmy Garvin recently....geezus that guy looks like shit. He looks like David Crosby these days. Poor Jimbo.

Why did Gordy leave so soon after that "reunion?" Getting more money in Japan I assume?

Gordy had a sweet gig in Japan. Good money with no long car rides (the wrestlers ride on a bus together), hotels taken care off, and no political BS to deal with. Add to that that only working 26 week or so out of the year. With a spot like that, it would have taken a deal WCW wasn't going to hand out for Gordy to give that up.