TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Albums With Only One Good Song

Name all the albums you can think of, with only one good song, and the name of the song. I'll start off even though my suggestion will probably get me laughed out of the building :) :

Dire Straits - Brothers In arms - Brothers In Arms

Laugh if you want, but I'm biased cos Mark Knopfler comes from my home town, and I think the way he can get the guitar to sound so haunting on this song is just awesome, the rest of the album is pretty wank, especially the very overrated Money For Nothing.

Maybe its just because I havnt given it enough of a chance... and hopefully someone can change my opinion, but The Streets - A Grand Dont Come For Free only has "Dry Your Eyes" and everything else is pretty weak...

Guest Phenom

Backstreet Boys - Everybody (which was their ONLY good song, BTW.)

[spolier]not gay

Maybe its just because I havnt given it enough of a chance... and hopefully someone can change my opinion, but The Streets - A Grand Dont Come For Free only has "Dry Your Eyes" and everything else is pretty weak...

Funny that you'd pick that song as the only good one. I much, much prefer "Empty Cans," "Blinded by the Lights," and "Could Well Be In" as individual moments. The real strength of that album comes when you listen to it in its entirety and pay a lot of attention: it's a fine bit of storytelling and one of my favorites from this year thus far.

Guest TheLastBoyscout

Iced Earth's latest was really bad other than the 32 minute Gettysburg song.

I find it odd that this could be the exception.

Also, I'm of the belief that "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell" is the best song on Yoshimi.

That one, "In the Morning of the Magicians" and "Fight Test." I sorta like the instrumental at the end of the album, but I never make it that far, usually.

But hey, that album, plus the new songs on the last couple of EPs, don't have me excited for their next LP.

Guest TheLastBoyscout

Also, I'm of the belief that "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell" is the best song on Yoshimi.

Power Metal defies logic.

Guest Fire and Knives
That one, "In the Morning of the Magicians" and "Fight Test." I sorta like the instrumental at the end of the album, but I never make it that far, usually.

But hey, that album, plus the new songs on the last couple of EPs, don't have me excited for their next LP.

No love for Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 1? For shame.

And I kinda dug the new stuff on the Fight Test EP, Assassination of the Sun in particular. Maybe this is just my shameless Flaming Lips fanboydom shining through here.

I love me some Sunship Balloons too.

K.

Guest ken adams

I know this is a little old, but I love the song "Got You Where I Want You" by the Flys. It is one of my favorite tunes, but that album is complete crap.

I've listened to it 3 times, and the last 2 were forced. The cd is so bad that you actually have doubts about how they managed to luck into GYWIWY. After that song, I nominate the the collection for "worst record ever."

Power Metal defies logic.

When you have twenty-something bands named Dragon______, you know it's time for reform

I'd nominate Radiohead's Pablo Honey, with "Creep", myself.

Nah. "Anyone Can Play Guitar," "Lurgee," and "Blow Out" all show a lot of promise. I especially like the latter.

Also, to the person who said This is Hardcore, I say, wtf. That album's pretty much perfect pop rock from start to finish, even if it is dark by Pulp's standards. It's just as good as Different Class. Listen to the album a bit more and I'll be shocked if you can't get into it.

I didn't know that there was so much Yoshimi hate. For a while there, I actually liked it more than The Soft Bulletin. Nowadays it's not even like in my top three, but nonetheless, it's in essence just a very good pop album, full of pop songs. Those who expect more might hate it, but really, "Do You Realize???" and "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1" and "Fight Test" were some of the best singles of the year. It kind of sort of doesn't age well, but oh well, I'll worry about that when I start actively not liking it. Sort of reminds me of Good News for People Who Love Bad News in that all fans who were fans before it came out hate it while all fans who became fans because of it love it to death, then eventually sort of get sick of it and end up moving onto their older stuff.

Also, Sandista! has about one good album per LP. I think that it gets way too much hate and believe it to be at least "decent," but overall only about three of the songs stand up to the first three albums. Actually, I think every Clash album after the first three was an instance of "one good song per album." Especially the infamous Cut the Crap, with its "This is England."

Mudvayne L.D. 50 - Dig

Green Day - American Idiot - American Idiot

Cradle, Nothing To Gein, and Death Blooms were all either as good or better than dig.

You're an idiot.

Mudvayne L.D. 50 - Dig

Green Day - American Idiot - American Idiot

Cradle, Nothing To Gein, and Death Blooms were all either as good or better than dig.

You're an idiot.

Sorry we cant all have the same musical tastes, jackass.

I'd nominate Radiohead's Pablo Honey, with "Creep", myself.

I preferred "Anyone Can Play Guitar", actually, but that and "Creep" were the only two songs I liked.

I'd say "Shangri-La dee Da" by Stone Temple Pilots fits for me, as I really liked "Days of the Week" but when I got the CD I learned that that was the only good song.

Guest Fire and Knives
I didn't know that there was so much Yoshimi hate. For a while there, I actually liked it more than The Soft Bulletin. Nowadays it's not even like in my top three, but nonetheless, it's in essence just a very good pop album, full of pop songs. Those who expect more might hate it, but really, "Do You Realize???" and "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1" and "Fight Test" were some of the best singles of the year. It kind of sort of doesn't age well, but oh well, I'll worry about that when I start actively not liking it. Sort of reminds me of Good News for People Who Love Bad News in that all fans who were fans before it came out hate it while all fans who became fans because of it love it to death, then eventually sort of get sick of it and end up moving onto their older stuff.

Yoshimi was my drug album last winter. That shit is timeless forevermore.

I've seen the same thing going on with Good News and I don't understand the hate. I was under the impression that it's a good thing they haven't tried to make another Lonesome Crowded West. Upbeat Modest Mouse is excellent driving music. Be glad, goddamn it.

K.

Yoshimi was my drug album last winter. That shit is timeless forevermore.

I've seen the same thing going on with Good News and I don't understand the hate. I was under the impression that it's a good thing they haven't tried to make another Lonesome Crowded West. Upbeat Modest Mouse is excellent driving music. Be glad, goddamn it.

K.

Glad that someone agrees though I don't know what the problem is with Lonesome Crowded West... granted, I like the first and third album better, but all four MM albums are fantastic, in my opinion.

awww sad.. I really, really like the Yoshimi album. :( I can't really think of a bad song off of the album.

As for actual albums with one good song.. can we say, I Just Threw OutThe Love of my Dreams by Weezer, on their b-sides? A girl sings it, too.. haha

don't get me wrong though.. I love Weezer :cheers:

I'd say "Shangri-La dee Da" by Stone Temple Pilots fits for me, as I really liked "Days of the Week" but when I got the CD I learned that that was the only good song.

I'm in agreement here. I bought that album hoping for a good follow-p to No. 4, which was a great album, but boy was I wrong. "Days of the Week" is the only "good" song, and "Hollywood Bitch" is the only other listenable track on the album. Not the best way to go out.