TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Albums With Only One Good Song

Guest P!NK.

I think it's a stretch to even call "Days of the Week" a winner off of that one.

Nah. "Anyone Can Play Guitar," "Lurgee," and "Blow Out" all show a lot of promise. I especially like the latter.

Bleh. "Blow Out" is all right, but I prefer the acoustic version. I'm not really too fond of the other two, but that's just me.

Another mention I'd make would be King Crimson's debut album. You get "21st Century Schizoid Man" and then a lot of stuff so lame that it wouldn't even make it as background music for a AD&D zitfest.

I'd nominate Radiohead's Pablo Honey, with "Creep", myself.

I was actually a huge fan of 'Thinking About You'.

I'd have to agree with the Flaming Lips - Do You Realise? one. I hate Marilyn Manson, but I was a huge fan of 'The Fight Song', so I decided to get a loan of the 'Holy Wood' album, but I wasn't impressed at all.

Following on from page one, Pulp are ridiculously good and if you don't agree I'll kick your ass. Or at least fight you. In Sheffield. Outside term time.

I think 'I Like Girls' is the only 100% awesome song on Sparks' fourth album, Big Beat, but the rest is still pretty good.

Ditto for You Are the Quarry, the only moment of pop brilliance being 'First of the Gang To Die' and the rest being OK, working well with the clever self parodying style that was the focus of Mozza's comeback this year.

'Driver 8' is the only really great song on Fables of the Reconstruction.

Mudvayne L.D. 50 - Dig

Taproot - their newest one (yea I know its over a year old) - Poem

Green Day - American Idiot - American Idiot

I agree with American Idiot

Every other song on that album just sounds like tweaked Warning.

I have never listened to Green Day for their ability to do slow ballads, but their mainstream pop punk rock.

Guest Syxx

Most of the opinions are right on the mark in this thread, but whoever is backing up American Idiot as being worthy of this thread is way off. Firstly, AI the song, is one of the worst on the album (that being said it is still pretty good). For me, this is the album of the year so far and every track is a homerun. I can't fathom how you could not get any enjoyment out of "Holiday", "Letterbomb" (if you want straight ahead Green Day pop-punk this is it), "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", or the 9 minute epic "Jesus of Suburbia".

Most of the opinions are right on the mark in this thread, but whoever is backing up American Idiot as being worthy of this thread is way off. Firstly, AI the song, is one of the worst on the album (that being said it is still pretty good). For me, this is the album of the year so far and every track is a homerun. I can't fathom how you could not get any enjoyment out of "Holiday", "Letterbomb" (if you want straight ahead Green Day pop-punk this is it), "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", or the 9 minute epic "Jesus of Suburbia".

Other than AI being album of the year, I completely agree with this statement. More "can't fathom not liking" songs are Homecoming (which I perfer to Jesus) and Whatsername. My favorite song on the album is Holiday.

the 9 minute epic "Jesus of Suburbia".

I hear it's just 7 or 8 songs packed together and called one song, simply so that they can have a 9 minute track. Same with the other 8+ minute track on the album. Really, Green Day should just stick with what they do ("Dookie" era goodness.) The Who and Queen can pull off 9 minute operas. Green Day cannot. Much less a nine minute SONG that's not just a bunch of songs put together, which very few bands can pull off. Really, from what I've heard off of the album and from what people have been telling me, it's just a typical (weakr than early stuff) Green Day album with them just combining a few songs to form "epics" so that they can try to say "It's the punk Tommy! We swear!"

Guest Syxx

Homecoming is not simply just "a bunch of tracks thrown together" it legitimately sounds like a punk rock opera and is woven together brilliantly, everything flows into eachother. To say that Green Day should just stick to their "dookie" days is the equivalent to saying a band should just kill themselves. Music is about evolution and these guys are talented and gutsy enough to put out music for themselves and not act as mere puppets for record companies and mainstream fans.

Honestly, they have come so far from Dookie, which is not even their best album, nimrod is, that it would be foolish to go back. This is one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the year, and for a pop-punk band that is unheard of. Oh and if you want a band that can match the WHO and Queen for epics check out: The Mars Volta.

"The Element of One" for Killswitch Engage's Alive or Just Breathing?. I bought the album thinking they'd be good hardcore-influenced, melodic thrash/death metal, as the vast majority of Mass Metal bands are, but what do I get? I get a nu-metal album with only a couple parts that were listenable. "My Last Serenade" is good for the chorus, but the only song that stands out as anything other than a Roadrunner album (and if you know the label, you know they aim for the least common denominator of heavy music fans with repetitive bands) is "The Element of One." And even then, my liking of the song has diminished since it appeared in a fucking Pop-Tarts commercial.

Homecoming is not simply just "a bunch of tracks thrown together" it legitimately sounds like a punk rock opera and is woven together brilliantly, everything flows into eachother. To say that Green Day should just stick to their "dookie" days is the equivalent to saying a band should just kill themselves. Music is about evolution and these guys are talented and gutsy enough to put out music for themselves and not act as mere puppets for record companies and mainstream fans.

Honestly, they have come so far from Dookie, which is not even their best album, nimrod is, that it would be foolish to go back. This is one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the year, and for a pop-punk band that is unheard of. Oh and if you want a band that can match the WHO and Queen for epics check out: The Mars Volta.

Maybe I'll actually pick up the Green Day album to see if I agree. Still haven't heard it all the way through.

But at least we agree that the Mars Volta are intense.

Green Day's new album is terrible. But then again, I've only ever heard one Green Day album I genuinely liked, and that was Warning.

The Mars Volta are beyond horrible, though.

Homecoming is not simply just "a bunch of tracks thrown together" it legitimately sounds like a punk rock opera and is woven together brilliantly, everything flows into eachother.  To say that Green Day should just stick to their "dookie" days is the equivalent to saying a band should just kill themselves.  Music is about evolution and these guys are talented and gutsy enough to put out music for themselves and not act as mere puppets for record companies and mainstream fans. 

I am going to back up Syxx again here and to sum up my feelings on this Green Day conversation say:

I can't fathom how poeple who appreciate well composed music cannot at least apperciate how well written the songs are. I think that the people who made the original comments on the CD have not sat down and listened to it straight through. Any fan of dramatic, emotional music can at least appreciate that this album was written.

And I cannot agree enough with Syxx's "evolution" comments. Being an artist is about growth and progress.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

How can anyone say Dookie or Nimrod was Green Day's best work? Warning was just completely better then those two.

Was it the poppy punkish album people come to expect from this band? Not at all. Which is why that album is so great. Haven't heard much of AI to make a case for it but regardless, Warning was better then Dookie, Nimrod and all other albums.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Another mention I'd make would be King Crimson's debut album.  You get "21st Century Schizoid Man" and then a lot of stuff so lame that it wouldn't even make it as background music for a AD&D zitfest.

You also get a cool album cover. All the really early stuff is hit or miss, I think. Mostly miss. I think they're incredible from 73-75 and 81-84, however. Even if it's not even the same band, really.

Huh. I can see the Green Day hate, as I'm not really a fan of more than one or two of their albums, but Mars Volta? They're terribly overrated, true, but... well, I don't know. I guess I'm biased. I actually thought they were just "OK" too until I saw them live opening up for the Pixies.

Huh. I can see the Green Day hate, as I'm not really a fan of more than one or two of their albums, but Mars Volta? They're terribly overrated, true, but... well, I don't know. I guess I'm biased. I actually thought they were just "OK" too until I saw them live opening up for the Pixies.

Their album is one of the worst I've heard in recent memory. Shrill nonsense, awful lyrical motifs, and some wanky prog that couldn't hold Peter Frampton's balls.

I also wouldn't call them overrated, as I don't recall them getting much in the way of favorable press or reaction in the first place.

Their album is one of the worst I've heard in recent memory.

Pretty much the worst album I heard in 2003. I'm thinking The Arcade Fire is getting the spot this year!

I'm back in Florida for Thanksgiving, so I'm going to come fight you. You can't run, pussy.

Guest Syxx

While I appreciate Warning, and I give it more love than othe people do it is not better than Nimrod. Until AI, Nimrod was the benchmark for versatility for any band I have ever seen. While Warning is good and every song is certainly enjoyable there are no killer tracks on the album besides "Waiting" and "Macy's Day Parade".

As for The Mars Volta hate, I can see where you guys are coming from as they have gotten a ton of favorable press and have been hyped uncontrollably in the underground ala AFI and Jimmy Eat World circa 2000-2002 before they broke. I really appreciate the concept of the album and the musicianship as well as the fact that it is such a departure from what these guys used to play. Now if Sparta gets any hate here ("the" band for me at the moment) then I will really be surprised.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Sparta's a bunch of emo pussy shit.

The Mars Volta is infinity better than Sparta. They may be pretentious as well, but Sparta has no balls...or originality.