TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just call me Dan

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Im hoping I'll get it for christmas. Its the only game I've hinted at that I wanted.

If not, it will be in my Gamecube on December 26th (or so) with the use of gift cards that I always get.

Its supposedly the best game on the Gamecube (for about a month and a half until RE4) but like I said, theres about 5 other "Best game ever's" being released this month, so it will definitely get overshadowed, although none of them are on the Gamecube.

Guest CronoT

I had to decide today whether to get this game, or Halo 2. I decided to get Halo 2, and I'll get Metroid Prime 2 next month.

I just got it today at sears for $35. Pretty good deal. Haven't played it yet because Im trying to finish Paper Mario 2 before it needs to go back to blockbuster. If I can't finish it, I'll just use my free game rentals I get every month to rent it again and finish it.

I played it at a friend's place. It's fun, but...I dunno. I absolutely loved Prime 1, I thought it was the best console game of the generation at the time. Brilliant. But Prime 2, from the little I played, just doesn't seem to add all that much.

The whole light world/dark world thing has been done to death. I mean, pretty much every Zelda game has it, and now Metroid? There must have been some better ideas than that for a sequel. And the pseudo-Zombie aspect is just so RE. If I wanted zombies, I wouldn't play Metroid.

Multiplayer was alright, but after playing Halo 2 it just doesn't measure up. Not a whole lot of maps either, and no way to select a color scheme for Samus = lame.

I mean, it's enjoyable...don't get me wrong. Solid game. But it's really just more of the same. I maybe set my expectations a little high.

I played it for a while last night, and I have to say that the game looks a lot better than the first, and its definitely one of the best looking Gamecube games available.

Unfortunately, it feels way too much like the first game, as a lot of the environments look similar to the first one (only they look better and theres more detail in them). Scanning things is also a pain because now you have to press the start button to bring up the full info and then again to get rid of it.

I can't really complain because it doesn't do anything to make the game worse than the first, it just doesn't seem to do much to advance the first game either. Its still a great game and Im not that disapointed with it (and it could get better as the game progresses..Im only at the 2nd boss)..but I was kind of expecting more from it.

Guest CronoT

I've had the game now for about a week, and I'd say I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. I think it's an improvement over the first one, which is the point, really. The only thing that bothers me is that they have to keep retcon'ing in order to make this series.

If you don't know what I mean, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 are both supposed to take place between Metroid and Metroid II: Return of Samus. That kind of annoys me.

Yeah, I got it for 10 bucks (gift card) earlier and...I've yet to play the full game. I've just played the demo before.

Of course, I'm in my Zelda binge, and on top of that after Prime I feel like, "it's an excellent game...but..." after fighting Metroid Prime and hearing of questionable design decisions in Echoes, I haven't gotten jazzed up enough to play it.

Of course, I missed the big Echoes hype period, because when it came out I no longer had my Gamecube (have one again now).