TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

- I think you meant SummerSlam 96, Andy, not 97.

Some evidence appears on the Survivor Series 2002 DVD, which has a poster gallery for the previous events. the 1996 poster has the faces of Bret, Austin, Shawn, and Vader. The actual poster / video cover had Sid's face on it.

- If the fan harassment issue is true (and to me, if it is, that is a legitimate reason to miss a show assuming Vince was notified), does anyone find it a bit odd that they had Ramon verbally bury Perfect pre-match? "He's so Perfect, he don't even need to show up" or something along those lines.

- On this topic, a while back I was reading through some of Herb Kunze's Wrestling TidBits posts on Google Groups archives (fascinating stuff - I recommend checking it out if you've enjoyed the stuff in this thread) and I seem to recall reading about a falling out between Perfect and the Federation over the IC title. The word was he was not thrilled that Marty Jannetty won it after they started the Perfect/Shawn build-up at WM9, and even les thrilled when he didn't end up winning it at SummerSlam when he actually had his match. This could all be bullshit / bad memory on my part, though.

- For some reason everyone on on 438 Land (the name given to all the Detroit wrestling hotlines using Ameritech voice mail - all being 438-####) kept saying the WM13 tag title match would be Owen/Bulldog vs the LOD. While watching something in Canada (Raw I imagine, but I seem to recall this being on a Saturday afternoon and I don't remember TSN's schedule around that time... might have been something on CHCH) I saw Dok Henrdix advertise in live event news the match that actually happened (Owen/Bulldog vs Mankind/Vader). I did my own hotline update (or left a voice mail for someone who reported it later.. long time ago) with this info and no one believed it, but sure enough it was advertised in the US the following Monday.

- Chris "Excalibur" Jericho... ok, you know how we have a lot of dirtboards that report garbage, but a lot of the headlines are nothing and (I would hope) just a parody of the time period when we had 3 million casual viewers of wrestling that hace since all left and beleived crap from 100 different websites o nthe net? Yeah.... where was I?

Ok, so THQ is making a game called WrestleMania 2000 for the N64, you may have heard of it. Jericho is under contract with the World Wrestling Federation but has not debuted yet, and the company has a history of rebranding people with different personas. THQ makes a placeholder model named Excalibur for Jericho, screenshots leak, dirtboards report it, the rest is now the stuff urban legends are made of.

In short, Excalibur was something THQ created. THQ do not book the WWE.

Guest Rrrsh

Actually Ramon didnt bury him at all.

He said "Perfecto is such a great partner that he tagged out before he even got in."

Implying that he wasnt ready to go so he let someone take his spot.

:headbang:

To the guy who asked about a tag team called Assault and Battery:

I can't honestly tell you why I know this, but Assault and Battery were a women's tag team on the ABC sitcom Step By Step. They beat the hell out of straight laced Frank(Patrick Duffy) and his wacky nephew Cody(Sasha Mitchell).

4 time High School Trivia Team MVP.

Computer skills? Nope. Car knowledge? Next. Cooking ability? Dick. Romantic prowess? N/A. Useless knowledge factor? Through the fucking roof.

As for the team in the WWF, I've got nothing.

:cheers:

you get mad props from me for referencing Step By Step in any fashion

I preferred family matters when carl and urkel had to team against the bushwhackers or bud bundy getting squashed by king kong bundy on MWC

Some of these are pretty well known, but why not throw them in here:

RVD and Kane were both booked to win the world title in 2002, but HHH vetoed both decisions and refused to job to them. (I'm 95% sure of this)

Vince threw a fit after the In Your House #4 PPV, which had the fans booing after a horrible show. Vince especially went after Diesel, who had just wrestled British Bulldog in a title match with a DQ finish. The fans had also booed the tag team champions (The Smoking Gunns) on that show, as they were wrestling 123 Kid and Razor Ramon, and weren't really over at all.

Hulk Hogan wanted Yokozuna to come to WCW so Hogan could get his win back from him, but Yoko decided to stay with the WWF.

According to Foley's book, the original plan was for him to turn heel late in 1999 (they tagged together against the NAO at Armageddon 1999) and play up their Royal Rumble "I Quit" match where Rock never checked on him after the match and Rock being an uncaring asshole in general, but that never happened and Foley was put into the feud with HHH to get Trips over.

Also from Foley's book, the WWF was going to have Austin vs. Foley at KOTR 98 and Kane vs. Undertaker again, but decided that they should do something different and decided to switch the matchups up.

HHH was originally booked to win KOTR 1996, but after the MSG incident he was jobbed out in like 15 seconds to Jake Roberts in his first round match.

Hulk Hogan's shiner at WM9 was because Randy Savage punched him.

I'm not sure on this one, but wasn't the original Wrestlemania 8 plan to go with Hogan vs. Flair, Savage vs. Roberts, and Sid vs. Taker?

Honkeytonk Man refused to job the IC title to Randy Savage.

The original Wrestlemania 13 plan was for HBK to face Bret Hart, and Steve Austin to face British Bulldog.

Not surprisingly, the Pillman/Goldust feud was going to lead to Marlena turning on Goldust, like so many of Russo's angles later on.

Oh, I also read online that Dave Meltzer was on Vince's payroll as a "consultant" in the past. Don't know if that's true or not though.

Hogan's black eye at WM XI was due to an accident, and not Savage punching him.

I know they said it was from a jet ski accident or something, but I heard that was just a coverup.

Savage punching Hogan comes from Scott Keith's old FAQ, thus it's the untrue story (or so one would think based on everything else of controversy from that FAQ being debunked as false)

Actually Ramon didnt bury him at all.

He said "Perfecto is such a great partner that he tagged out before he even got in."

Implying that he wasnt ready to go so he let someone take his spot

I guess if you put it that way, it makes sense, but watching it live at 12 years old, I thought Ramon was pissed off.

Guest LooneyTune

Perfect was like best friends with Michaels and Jannetty...he was FAR from mad about Jannetty getting the quick reign. It was Perfect who got Jannetty his job back, by sweet talking with Vince about how Michaels BSed that it was Jannetty's fault their Rumble match wasn't as good as Vince told it would be.

Michaels thus lost the title as a slap on the wrist, and Jannetty got 3 weeks as IC Champion before losing it back to Michaels in Albany.

Interesting stuff about Perfect/Marty/Shawn.

Did Meltz answer a question from someone about Borga on WOL tonight? I was asking someone on IRC to ask about the Perfect / Series 93 situation, but if someone totally random asked about something that was being discussed in here (or perhaps someone who read / posted in here), that's pretty cool.

Did Meltz answer a question from someone about Borga on WOL tonight?

Someone asked if Borga was in line for the WWF Title. I thought it was someone from here, seeing as it was recently talked about in one of the threads.

Guest LooneyTune

I got that from the Jannetty Shoot Interview, so it could be a little inflated, although Jannetty is very honest about everything he talks about in it. (Highly Recommended too)

I'm kinda glad Borga was never written in for a World Title Reign. Seriously, thee guy was not very over, and when the heck would he win the title? On an episode of Wrestling Challenge or on a House Show?

Guest LooneyTune

So it would've been Borga vs. Undertaker then Borga vs. Luger? Blech! Smell the shitty matches. At least Bret vs. Yoko was decent while Luger vs. Yoko sucked serious ass.

Did Jake Roberts really get taken out of his match vs. Mankind at International Incident (Subbed by Henry Godwinn) because of his "personal demons" or was it just part of his angle with Lawler?

Question: Was Bret always going to drop the IC title to The Mountie at a house show and get the title back from Piper at WrestleMania VIII? If not, what was the original plan?

Depending who you believe, this was...

1. The plan all along with Piper wanting to give the rub to Bret

2. Vince taking the title away from Bret so he didn't run off to WCW with it, a matter which was cleared up by WMVIII.

There is probably a true story somewhere inbetween those combined with Bret being legitmately sick/injured (I don't know if he was or not) when they did that title switch-up, but I don't know it.

Depending who you believe, this was the plan all along with Piper wanting to give the rub to Bret, or Vince taking the title away from Bret so he didn't run off to WCW with it, a matter which was cleared up by WMVIII.

Bret was never going to be able to go to WCW with the IC Title. By the time he wanted out, Bret's contract had automatically rolled over for a year, and he wasn't able to leave.

Well score one for You Know Who, because he was actually the one who said the WCW thing was false back when people e-mailed him questions before it was revealed all his stories were bullshit.

YKW: 1

Other, more accurate sources: A million

Here's another one:

Back in Feb-March of 2003, Rock was suppose to face Booker T in a one-on-one match on Monday Night Raw, and they had promoted it most of the week. At the last minute, it was changed at the top of the broadcast, and Rock ended up wrestling the Hurricane. This pissed of a lot of people because of the bait-and-switch, but there was more to it than meets the eye.

The true motivation for this was that Rock refused to work a program with Booker T (that would make Booker look good) because he knew what the end result was going to be, and that is Triple H comes out on the top. Supposely, the Rock is still very bitter after what happened to Chris Jericho in early 2002. Of course, Rock and Jericho worked a major program for the WWF title where Jericho came out on top, and then was beaten by Triple H. Rock knew that Triple H was going to pretty much take out Booker at Mania, thus wanted no part of it.

In the end, Rock did a side program with Hurricane, and Triple H shortly after beat the Hurricane on Raw after Hurricane had beaten the Rock. And of course, Booker got squashed by Triple H.

Once's logic must think Rock refused to work with John Cena for Wrestlemania 20 because he thought Cena would then go to Raw and lose to Triple H. That's just a theory I have, but yeah. People say Triple H is jealous of Rock's success because they both made their names during the same time period...obviously with Triple H now going into movies, but not getting nearly as a big name lead role as Rock has.

And Triple H has made all those side comments about Rock from late 2002 til now for a reason, and one has to believe it's for ego.

I think the Rock/HHH feud became so headed on camera during the last big boom period that it translated into real life. I don't think they go around saying "I hate you", but HHH is jealous and Rock holds resentment to him.

Here's a story about Rhyno...

When WWE signed him, they didn't want to use Rhino (Marvel and such). They were in a bind and the best they could come up with was "Mary". Rhyno called Joe E. Legend and explained this awful situation to him. Joe suggested using a Y instead of an I (like Chyna).

That story comes from Joe, so take it for what you feel it's worth.

Guest LooneyTune

I was hoping it would be Hogan...:-D I did that any time there was a "Suprise" for a show, or a Royal Rumble Match.

Anyone know where the "Wrestler was promised a title in his contract" rumours originated? I remember in late 98 / early 99, there was a rumour making rounds that Gangrel (of all people) was promised a title run, persumably of any kind. The group of us who watched the 99 Rumble all assumed Gangrel was winning the European title, but it was not to be.

Wow, not even a token Hardcore title reign. A title on the line 24/7 and won by four different women, Pete Gas, Pat Patterson and Gerald Brisco was never once held by Gangrel.

True story or fake myth: Men on a Mission only won the tag titles because Mabel legit knocked out Pierre by splashing him and they knew they could give the belts back to the Quebeccers 2 days later (it was part of a UK Tour).

Guest LooneyTune

I'm going with accident. Never has a real title changed hands over-seas (minus a big PPV like SSlam) until 2002 when the European Title (lame) switched hands for all of a day. The Hardcore Title I don't count as real either.