TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

I'm going with accident. Never has a real title changed hands over-seas (minus a big PPV like SSlam) until 2002 when the European Title (lame) switched hands for all of a day.

Shawn Michaels won the European Title in the UK from Davey Boy in 1997

Guest sek69

I always wondered what the real story was about the Hart Foundation/Rockers loose-ropes-non-title-change match.

The version I heard is that Anvil wanted to leave the WWF so they taped a match where they drop the belts. Anvil changes his mind about leaving, so they scrap the match.

My question is if the match never aired (and I don't believe it did), why did they even bother with the lame "the rope broke so the match doesn't count" excuse? This was 1990, so there was no internet community going "OMG THE ROCKERZ WON TEH BELTZ~!~ LOL1990~!" Its not like the WWF isn't above ignoring things that happen on houseshows, so why did they bother with such an embarrassing display?

Guest drdrainoscott

I'm pretty sure they just aired that explanation on the local syndicates and ignored it everywhere else

Neidhart was being released, so they wanted the tag titles off of the HF. The decision to let him go was changed, so the title change was nixed, and they explained the ropes breaking up to explain to the fans who did see the match why the titles didn't change hands.

It's called attention to detail, and that such an important thing is being critcised is sad.

Guest sek69

Yeah but since when has WWF *ever* showed that level of attention to detail?

I remember seeing Jack Tunney's explaination of the ruling on WWF TV not to mention in the Apter mags.

The only reason I found it odd is the WWF's always had that longstanding "if it wasn't on TV it didn't happen" policy.

Paul Heyman and Shane McMahon had talks with Scott Hall to come in at Judgement Day 2001, and it was looking very likely to happen, but the deal went sour when a phone call between Shane and Hall a couple of weeks before JD didn't go too well.

What happened to Wrestlemania VI Rogeau Brothers and Ronnie Garvin?

Ray Rougeau retired after the 90 Rumble and later returned in a broadcasting role. Jacques was repackaged as the Mountie and returned that fall.

Ron Garvin stuck around until the latter part of 1990. His last match was a MSG squash in, I believe, November of that year. He went into semi-retirement afterwards.

Another fake SK rumor: The original plan for IYH#1 was a Diesel vs. HBK rematch, but after Sid hurt HBK they had to switch it.

I don't think Keith is making all this up on his own. He's just going with what RSPW was saying at the time.

At NWO 98, Vader was booked agaisnt Kane in what turned out to be the penultimate match and the only real worthwhile match on the card aside from the main, in terms of booking. But after that, Vader obviously did the injury angle and then never got going. But he got MAJOR pops at NWO, was made to look credible against Kane (v.rare) and was shilled heavily by JR.

Now, I know Vader's history in the WWF and all the bad breaks he got. But were there any big plans for him at any time around of just after NWO? It just seemed like it to me.

Guest Loss

The Internet became much more credible when Meltzer and Keller went online. Too many falsehoods were there before they jumped on. They still exist, but in a lesser amount. Meltzer would often get credited for saying things he never said.

Papa Shango was supposed to come down and break the count as Hogan covered Sid after hitting the legdrop.

He was late getting out there and thus Sid kicked out (had no choice), with Wippleman then getting on the apron, involving himself, and causing the DQ. Shango showed up a few moments thereafter.

At NWO 98, Vader was booked agaisnt Kane in what turned out to be the penultimate match and the only real worthwhile match on the card aside from the main, in terms of booking. But after that, Vader obviously did the injury angle and then never got going. But he got MAJOR pops at NWO, was made to look credible against Kane (v.rare) and was shilled heavily by JR.

Now, I know Vader's history in the WWF and all the bad breaks he got. But were there any big plans for him at any time around of just after NWO? It just seemed like it to me.

Vader was discussed as becoming another crony for Vince McMahon like Mick Foley became on the 4/98 RAW where he interfered in the Austin vs. Vince match. Possibly, he was even going to have a title shot vs. Austin. But Vader did not lose weight, as he had been instructed to during his absense after the Kane match, and he was jobbed out for the remainder of his WWF tenure for disobeying orders. His "I'm a fat piece of shit" comment after his return match with Kane was possibly out of frustration in response to his aborted program with Austin, which could have possibly helped revive his career. Vader screwed himself in the end.

Well, I'd think Hebner would be smart enough to improvise something like that once he realised Shango wasn't going to make it.

Guest Astro

Can anyone remember the Davey Boy Smith/Shawn Micheals drowning angle that supposedly led up to the KOTR 96 match.

And I for the life of me can't remember Mr. Perfect being the ref for that match, how did this all come about?

:headbang:

I don't recall any drowning. What I do recall is this:

Before the main event of Good Friends, Better Enemies, Bulldog stormed the ring yelling at Michaels. The following night it was revealed that Michaels allegedly made a pass at Diana Smith(according to story).

This led to a pretty good match at Beware of Dog in May, and a great finish involving a double pin. Incredibly, the harrassment of Diana was never again mentioned after that match.

Bulldog being a member of Camp Cornette made it easy to transition the feud to Vader.

I don't recall any drowning.

It was footage taken during the tour of Kuwait.

Monday Night Raw

5/13/96 - featured footage of the WWF's tour of Kuwait in which Davey Boy Smith attacked Shawn Michaels on the beach, dragging him into the ocean

Before the main event of Good Friends, Better Enemies, Bulldog stormed the ring yelling at Michaels.

I got that tape for Christmas 96 (didn't know how rare it would turn out to be) and that incident didn't make the video. From watching the clip on Raw, it looked like it was after the match and not before, though I don't know for sure.

And I for the life of me can't remember Mr. Perfect being the ref for that match, how did this all come about?

Monday Night Raw

6/3/96 - featured Clarence Mason calling in and stating that even though the lawsuit against Shawn Michaels was thrown out, he plans to sue Gorilla Monsoon for aggravated assault and battery

6/10/96 - featured Jim Cornette announcing that Clarence Mason's lawsuit against Gorilla Monsoon had been dropped in exchange for Camp Cornette being able to choose the referee for the Michaels / Smith rematch at King of the Ring

6/17/96 - included a closing segment in which Jim Cornette announced that the special referee for the King of the Ring world title match would be Mr. Perfect

Sid was meant to wrestle Bret Hart at the April 1997 IYH, where he would put Bret over. However, by sheer coincidence, Sid just happened to get injured, and unfortunately couldn't do the job.

And then injured himself again in May when he was supposed to wrestle Mankind at Cold Day in Hell? I always wondered why he skipped out on two pay-per-views in a row.

Before the main event of Good Friends, Better Enemies, Bulldog stormed the ring yelling at Michaels.

I got that tape for Christmas 96 (didn't know how rare it would turn out to be) and that incident didn't make the video. From watching the clip on Raw, it looked like it was after the match and not before, though I don't know for sure.

Yes, it was after the match. During '95 and '96, they often would do interviews at the end of PPVs to promote the next month's PPV. I know they showed footage on Raw of Bulldog coming out from backstage during Michaels' celebration at the PPV, with officials restraining him, but I don't know if that made it onto the PPV.

This led to a pretty good match at Beware of Dog in May, and a great finish involving a double pin. Incredibly, the harrassment of Diana was never again mentioned after that match.

The angle was dropped because it was going to end up with it coming out that Diana had put the moves on Shawn and he had turned her down. Diana didn't want to be portrayed in such a manner, which you'd think they would have asked her about before even starting the angle, and so the angle was quietly dropped.

Of note, is that after the match, and this was edited out of the replay, Shawn's music gets messed up, and he threw a huge tantrum in the ring, cursing up a storm at the sound guy. In addition to that, a ringside fan heckled him early in the match, and he kept cursing at her, to the point that the fans around her picked up on it, and started booing Shawn.

Makes sense actually, HHH would have done anything to keep his spot.

I also heard Billy Gunn was supposed to win the IC title from Ken Shamrock at Royal Rumble '99 but Gunn pissed off management so they scrapped the idea.

I also heard Billy Gunn was supposed to win the IC title from Ken Shamrock at Royal Rumble '99 but Gunn pissed off management so they scrapped the idea.

I believe the actual story on that one is that Gunn was never going to win, but was rather going to lose via interference of some kind, but because he pissed someone off, the finish was changed to a clean submission loss.