TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

I believe the original plan for the Undertaker's return was scripted by Terry Taylor, and I remember it as being really weird and "out there" but I don't remember many details...maybe someone can help out?

I believe the Undertaker was going to flush the Big Show's dad's ashes down the toilet.

That was one of them

Another one was to have Undertaker return and admit that he was really Big Show's father.

Taker as Big Show's father???

That reminds me of another question. When Rock and Sock beat Big Show/Taker for the tag titles on RAW in 1999, Paul Bearer came to the ring and whispered something in Taker's ear, and Taker walked off and left. They never went any further with that...was this just a way to keep an injured Taker out of action, or was an angle planned?

Guest bushwickray
After winning the IC title from Road Dogg the night after WM15, Goldust cuts a promo saying he hasn't know the real him for so long, but now he knows who he really is, and we are all about to find out very soon. Any idea what that was leading to?

IIRC that was a tease to his religious preacher gimmick where he started showing up in the crowd with "REPENT" signs and shit like that? That was 98 right?

That was in 98, but what I'm talking about happened right after WM15 in 1999, a month or two before he left for WCW.

I know this angle. This was suppsoed to lead to Goldust getting breast implants but Vince wouldn't pay for them. Thank god Dustin didn't do this.

Other tidbits:

-Hunter was supposed to turn heel in mid Summer 98 and HBK would've returned and lead DX.

-Billy Gunn was suposed to leave DX after Judgement Day 98 and team up with Debra but mangment nixed that and put her with Jarrett.

-Val Venis was suppsoed to join DX the night after Wrestlemania 15.

-Tazz was supposed to win the 2000 Rumble but it wouldn't have been for a title shot. The rules would've been changed back to the 89-91 rules...simply let's have a Rumble because it's COOL.

Now here's a question Undertaker was supposed to return after his defeat at Summerslam 96 as a fallen angel or something. Would that have meant he would've came back in all-white ala Mordecai? What exactly was the relaunch supposed to deal with?

-Tazz was supposed to win the 2000 Rumble but it wouldn't have been for a title shot. The rules would've been changed back to the 89-91 rules...simply let's have a Rumble because it's COOL.

Tazz was supposed to win the Royal Rumble in his debut? Vince pushing an ECW icon to the top of his roster overnight?

Sounds a bit suspect.

I don't have a real answer to this, although notice how when Warrior came back, he wore a body suit with painted on muscles instead of his old ringware, so its very possible he was off the juice (though I would doubt it). Savage also began wearing a shirt in the ring in 1992 as well.

Warrior definitely slimmed down between early 91 and his last days in the company in 92. That's pretty much where the "OMG WARRIOR IS DEAD AND IT'S A NEW GUY PLAYING TEH WARRIOR!!!11" rumours came from, because he looked so different. I think he was clearly off the illegal juice, which probably led to his dimentia as well, his mind was so warped from the stuff and he couldn't deal with the withdrawal. Savage is another guy who slimmed down bigtime.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Speaking of Which (From CM PUNK's Live Journal):

This past 4th of July was spent at Lake of the Ozarks with myself, Ace Steel, and of course the legendary Harley Race. We spent all day on the Lake in his boat and a lot of the day was like that commercial for 'Girls Gone Wild'. Random strangers showing me their boobies (there ya go shelley!), and me just throwing water ballons at them. Late that night, back at Harleys house, we all ate some great BBQ and Harley had about a million billion martinis I think it was. He had these little pickled green beans he'd put in them....anyway....he drank a LOT. Which is no surprise, he's Harley Fucking Race. And yes, I just capitilized the 'F' in fucking. Ace is pretty tanked too, to set the scene...i'm just stuffed with BBQ, when this hilarious conversation ensues. Harley gets to telling stories, which on another side note is some of the best times i've ever had in my life. Just having the privilege to sit and listen to Harely talk about his career on numerous occasions has been really rewarding. He was talking about his run in the WWF, the reason he was brought in, and more importantly who he was working at the time. The conversation went exactly like this:

Harley: "...and he had me working Hogan, JYD, and one of my last programs was with....shit. What's his name? The guy. You know. Big guy....c'mon, you know!

That faggot Indian."

Now...I bust out laughing and Ace and I just look at each other while Harely is scrunching up his face trying to remember who he is talking about. I start throwing out names, but none of them really make any sense. I mean....Wahoo never worked in the WWF, and certainly if he did, Harely wouldn't call him "that faggot Indian". Tatanka, who Ace proudly proclaimed was who Harely must've been talking about. Certainly you all know Tatanka, while having wrestled in the WWF, it was years after Harely had already retired. So i'm sitting there, and Harely is literally scratching his head and Ace is clueless...and I really don't have any clue either. So I think..."faggot indian"...and I blurt out:

Punk: "The Ultimate Warrior?"

Harley: "YES! That fucking GOOF!"

I laughed for a week.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/cmpunk/13570.html

Harley: "...and he had me working Hogan, JYD, and one of my last programs was with....shit. What's his name? The guy. You know. Big guy....c'mon, you know!

That faggot Indian."

That's even more funny considering I thought he was referring to Jim Duggan there for a minute.

I doubt that Tazz one mentioned above...but I read that rumors online said that Taker would be brought back in all white, like a Mordecai type thing, and that Jake Roberts would be involved in "saving Taker's soul" or something stupid like that...thankfully, they decided to scrap the whole thing the next night and just forget it, and Taker stayed basically as he was.

I never heard about Val joining DX, but I did hear that they messed around at house shows and had Test wear DX shirts a few times, but never had him join.

I remember a lot of buzz about Val joining DX back then, I think he even teamed with them in a few matches, and I was kind of bummed when he never did, seemed like a great fit.

Guest bushwickray

All the tidbits i gave you guys were from my old issues of PW Torch.

Oh and Tazz was actually constantly in line to get a big push. In late-2001 they saw that Tazz was still over with the fans even after he kept getting squashed by Austin so they were gonna give him a huge push for 2002 but backed down after the brand split.

Speaking of Which (From CM PUNK's Live Journal):

This past 4th of July was spent at Lake of the Ozarks with myself, Ace Steel, and of course the legendary Harley Race. We spent all day on the Lake in his boat and a lot of the day was like that commercial for 'Girls Gone Wild'. Random strangers showing me their boobies (there ya go shelley!), and me just throwing water ballons at them. Late that night, back at Harleys house, we all ate some great BBQ and Harley had about a million billion martinis I think it was. He had these little pickled green beans he'd put in them....anyway....he drank a LOT. Which is no surprise, he's Harley Fucking Race. And yes, I just capitilized the 'F' in fucking. Ace is pretty tanked too, to set the scene...i'm just stuffed with BBQ, when this hilarious conversation ensues. Harley gets to telling stories, which on another side note is some of the best times i've ever had in my life. Just having the privilege to sit and listen to Harely talk about his career on numerous occasions has been really rewarding. He was talking about his run in the WWF, the reason he was brought in, and more importantly who he was working at the time. The conversation went exactly like this:

That faggot Indian."

Now...I bust out laughing and Ace and I just look at each other while Harely is scrunching up his face trying to remember who he is talking about. I start throwing out names, but none of them really make any sense. I mean....Wahoo never worked in the WWF, and certainly if he did, Harely wouldn't call him "that faggot Indian". Tatanka, who Ace proudly proclaimed was who Harely must've been talking about. Certainly you all know Tatanka, while having wrestled in the WWF, it was years after Harely had already retired. So i'm sitting there, and Harely is literally scratching his head and Ace is clueless...and I really don't have any clue either. So I think..."faggot indian"...and I blurt out:

Punk: "The Ultimate Warrior?"

Harley: "YES! That fucking GOOF!"

I laughed for a week.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/cmpunk/13570.html

THAT was hilarious.

God bless Harley Race.

I was going to start a new thread about this, but figured it could easily just be quickly answered here, since it is of relation to WWF.

This is in regards to the contractual agreement made between Bret Hart & Vince McMahon prior to the Hitman being screwed at Montreal and leaving the company. Now while I possess very limited knowledge on the topic of contractual agreements and the specifics that were involved in the 20 year deal put forward by Vince, I know that if Vince had broken that contract, like he said he 'had to', then he would of had to of paid Bret everything he owed him, correct?

Was there another clause in the contract that left a certain window of time open for re-negotiation of the contract's length etc.?

I'm pretty sure vince gave him an "out" of the contract and Bret accepted it and then signed the WCW contract.

If there was any sort of legal dispute Bret certainly would have exploited it after the screwjob

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Anyone know if Kayfabe memories is ever coming back? The wealth of knowledge lost by that site being down is incredible.

Got this email response from Meltzer on the whole Luger/Wrestlemania 10 stuff:

"The whole story of Luger getting drunk is a myth. The actual story is

that the day before the show, several WWE wrestlers were at Morton's

Steak house and talked about how Bret was going to lose to Owen, but win

later, and that one of hte NY papers the next day in the gossip section

reported it. WWE didn't change its plans even though it was in the paper.

Somehow that story got changed to Luger said he was winning, it made the

papers, and WWE changed plans. I was told I'm thinking 3-5 weeks in

advance that Luger wasn't winning because of the reaction at the Rumble.

I was never told Bret was winning, but it was pretty clear that was the

idea."

I remember in the late 90's, the Headbangers turned heel and started a feud with the Oddities. They wore toy tag team championships, and dubbed themselves the "Tag Team Champions of the Universe". If I remember correctly, they "defended" the titles a few times, before actually losing them to the Oddities, then the entire angle was scrapped.

I heard Tazz was actually supposed to win the IC title from Chris Benoit in the spring of 2000 but Tazz suffered an injury and they scrapped the idea and did that whole angle where Benoit kicked a car door on Tazz's arm "injuring" him.

Guest LooneyTune
I remember in the late 90's, the Headbangers turned heel and started a feud with the Oddities. They wore toy tag team championships, and dubbed themselves the "Tag Team Champions of the Universe". If I remember correctly, they "defended" the titles a few times, before actually losing them to the Oddities, then the entire angle was scrapped.

Thanks for bringing that up (vomits). I can't believe anyone actually remembers that. So stupid... the angle, not you. It was a bit funny though at first when they pretended they were real titles, but defending them? Eesh...

Was there any reasoning beyond "he's too short" or "he's an asshole" for the WWF not pushing Tazz? I never understood this one. He got huge pops everywhere and had the ability to draw them money.

I remember how it seemed every week for about 3 straight months the main event of Heat would be some combination of The Headbangers vs. The Oddities

Was there any reasoning beyond "he's too short" or "he's an asshole" for the WWF not pushing Tazz?

Uh....he came from ECW?

So did the Dudleys and they showed up about a two months before Taz did. So it's not like it was unprecendented at the time for Vince to push ECW guys. I know he buried far more than than he pushed.

I remember in the late 90's, the Headbangers turned heel and started a feud with the Oddities.  They wore toy tag team championships, and dubbed themselves the "Tag Team Champions of the Universe".  If I remember correctly, they "defended" the titles a few times, before actually losing them to the Oddities, then the entire angle was scrapped.

Thanks for bringing that up (vomits). I can't believe anyone actually remembers that. So stupid... the angle, not you. It was a bit funny though at first when they pretended they were real titles, but defending them? Eesh...

It's funny how the presentation & delivery make an angle seem stupid or not.

This one gets shat on, but Taz creating the FTW belt does not.

/thinks both angles were stupid

Guest Frank_Nabbit

There were limited fresh tag teams, The Radicals were better options than Tazz. Therefore Dudley's push> Tazz's push

Got this email response from Meltzer on the whole Luger/Wrestlemania 10 stuff:

"The whole story of Luger getting drunk is a myth. The actual story is

that the day before the show, several WWE wrestlers were at Morton's

Steak house and talked about how Bret was going to lose to Owen, but win

later, and that one of hte NY papers the next day in the gossip section

reported it. WWE didn't change its plans even though it was in the paper.

Somehow that story got changed to Luger said he was winning, it made the

papers, and WWE changed plans. I was told I'm thinking 3-5 weeks in

advance that Luger wasn't winning because of the reaction at the Rumble.

I was never told Bret was winning, but it was pretty clear that was the

idea."

I'm sure I remember reading that they taped interviews with Luger as the champion before WrestleMania X, after "winning" the title from Yokozuna and then after the interviews were taped the result fo the match was overturned. It was either that I remember of Luger stealing the belt from Cornette and then wearing the belt, anyone know if these are true?

On Lugers HighSpots shoot interview he says that he was never told he was getting the belt and just did whatever Vince told him to do, so I'd imagine from that you're remembering Luger stealing the belt.

I'm sure I remember reading that they taped interviews with Luger as the champion before WrestleMania X, after "winning" the title from Yokozuna and then after the interviews were taped the result fo the match was overturned. It was either that I remember of Luger stealing the belt from Cornette and then wearing the belt, anyone know if these are true?

I think this is what you're referring to.

WWF @ Bethleham, PA - Stabler Arena - February 22, 1994 (3,500; sell out)

WWF Superstars taping:

Lex Luger & Tatanka defeated WWF World Champion Yokozuna & Kwang when Kwang submitted to Luger's Torture Rack; Luger was announced as the WWF World Champion and came to the ring with the belt - after taking it from Jim Cornette earlier in the taping - which led many to believe Luger would win the title at the upcoming WrestleMania

There were limited fresh tag teams, The Radicals were better options than Tazz. Therefore Dudley's push> Tazz's push

Thanks, I forgot that Benoit debuted about week after Tazz did. I still think they blew an oppurtunity though.