TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

Did Hogan and Flair have a singles match during Flair's WWF run in '92?

No, but like they said, there was a run of house shows, they did have one televised encounter on the MSG Network in December 91 IIRC. Hogan won via count-out.

I was looking through cawthon's site for these house shows, and they had the most random people running in to save Hogan from attacks. I mean, Greg Valentine?

Lawler sometimes get any worthless old USWA guys on in WWE. His son is one, hell Viscera is another.

The Flair/Hogan pseudo feud is the biggest example of why the WWF's mentality of never acknowledging any promotions back then hurt them. To get the importance of Flair challenging Hogan they had to mention his accomplishments but they refused to do all that.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Anyone check out lawler's reality show on Kinglawler.com?

He has a Down Syndrome kid as his butler.

I think I have the scrapped character to end all scrapped characters. Just got this from the Wrestling Chronicle, a news bite from 1990. Just think, in another reality, the would-be Undertaker and not a feathered Hector Guerrero could have been Wrestlecrap's patron saint:

The latest rumor in regards to the Survivor Series egg is that Mark Callaway will be inside and come out to reveal himself as a character named The Eggman. Callaway is in line for a mega push and according to current plans will be paired with Hulk Hogan for an extended fued sometime in the very near future. Callaway was signed recently from World Championship Wrestling, where he wrestled his last major match for the company July 7th losing to Lex Luger at The Great American Bash.

I think I have the scrapped character to end all scrapped characters. Just got this from the Wrestling Chronicle, a news bite from 1990. Just think, in another reality, the would-be Undertaker and not a feathered Hector Guerrero could have been Wrestlecrap's patron saint:

The latest rumor in regards to the Survivor Series egg is that Mark Callaway will be inside and come out to reveal himself as a character named The Eggman. Callaway is in line for a mega push and according to current plans will be paired with Hulk Hogan for an extended fued sometime in the very near future. Callaway was signed recently from World Championship Wrestling, where he wrestled his last major match for the company July 7th losing to Lex Luger at The Great American Bash.

LMFAO... ah, what could have been.

Was there ever a plan for HHH to return at Vengeance 2001 (since he was on the PPV's poster), or was that just something made months in advance? Was he always planned to be a babyface on return, winning the Rumble and at Mania, or was that a late decision?

Was there ever a plan for HHH to return at Vengeance 2001 (since he was on the PPV's poster), or was that just something made months in advance? Was he always planned to be a babyface on return, winning the Rumble and at Mania, or was that a late decision?

The idea was always for Hunter to return at the PPV, hence the ad campaign built around his return. The idea was changed at almost literally the last minute. The plan was also always for Hunter to come back, win the Rumble and take the title at Mania.

The idea was always for Hunter to return at the PPV, hence the ad campaign built around his return. The idea was changed at almost literally the last minute. The plan was also always for Hunter to come back, win the Rumble and take the title at Mania.

Whats even funnier (Well I guess it was more cost effective not to change it so its understandable) that the PPV's graphics still had a "Sledgehammer" theme in it despite no HHH and no use of a sledgehammer in the PPV!

Guest netslob

09.jpg

"Coo-Coo-Cachoo..."

Guest CookieMueller

Love this thread. I have some nostalgia-based questions that have been sitting in my head for upwards of ten years.

1) In the old WWF mags, they had this ridiculous set-up for the Savage-Flair match at VIII, with Flair doctoring photos of Savage and Elizabeth. Was that even mentioned on tv? The pictures were done really well for 1992. They could have been from two seperate photoshoots, I guess, but don't squash my dreams.

2) Why did Michael Hayes go under the name Dok Hendrix? Was the name copyrighted? By who? I faintly recall them not being able to say Fabulous Freebirds on WWF TV.

3) Why did WWF can the original concept of Livewire so quickly? It's still an innovative idea for a show. Even though it was poorly executed, WWF was clearly going for an "edgier" tone. Some of the calls sounded scripted, but most of them sounded like Howard Stern fans on a christian call-in show. It's still odd to watch Vince Russo, Tammy Sytch and Todd Pettingill take calls from weird fans that just want to shout "NWO" on WWF TV. McMahon was on one of the last episodes. That was an early example of the hosts (whoever they were that particular week...I remember Russo being there as Vic Venom) mentioning that he was the owner. Didn't Paul Heyman (or someone from ECW) call in? Surely that was planned. Anyone?

4) Something I've never seen discussed (though I'm sure it has been ten trillion times)...What was the deal with Backlund's 90s run in the WWF? Why did he win the belt? What were his feelings about playing the INSANE Mr. Backlund character? When did he stop appearing on TV? Apologies if he is still semi-active, I haven't watched wrestling on television in almost 5 years.

Thanks.

If I remember right, the last time Backlund played a significant role on WWF TV was sometime in the first half of 2000, when he was mentoring Kurt Angle. Kurt was even using the Crossface Chickenwing as an alternate finisher for a while, in addition to the Olympic Slam.

1) In the old WWF mags, they had this ridiculous set-up for the Savage-Flair match at VIII, with Flair doctoring photos of Savage and Elizabeth. Was that even mentioned on tv? The pictures were done really well for 1992. They could have been from two seperate photoshoots, I guess, but don't squash my dreams.

- I'm pretty sure it was two separate shoots. They made a huge deal about the photo doctoring on WWF TV, and even said Randy Savage was trying to buy up all the copies of the magazine, etc. Personally, I think it was a really well done angle (heck, anytime Flair and Savage has feuded, it's been good).

2) Why did Michael Hayes go under the name Dok Hendrix? Was the name copyrighted? By who? I faintly recall them not being able to say Fabulous Freebirds on WWF TV.

- Don't think there was anything restricting WWF from talking about the Freebirds (they did from about 1999 on when Dok reverted to being Michael Hayes). I'm pretty sure Michael Hayes probably has the copyright to the name "Fabulous Freebirds", and almost certainly "Badstreet USA". I think Hayes became Dok Hendrix so people wouldn't remember his wrestling career when he was shilling the latest WWF crap or performing in lame skits. Just a guess, though.

3) Why did WWF can the original concept of Livewire so quickly? It's still an innovative idea for a show. Even though it was poorly executed, WWF was clearly going for an "edgier" tone. Some of the calls sounded scripted, but most of them sounded like Howard Stern fans on a christian call-in show. It's still odd to watch Vince Russo, Tammy Sytch and Todd Pettingill take calls from weird fans that just want to shout "NWO" on WWF TV. McMahon was on one of the last episodes. That was an early example of the hosts (whoever they were that particular week...I remember Russo being there as Vic Venom) mentioning that he was the owner. Didn't Paul Heyman (or someone from ECW) call in? Surely that was planned. Anyone?

- They canned Livewire because the calls were either: 1) obviously plants, or 2) smarks calling in and talking about how ECW ruled and WWF sucked, etc. Livewire was a really cool show, certainly more interesting than anything else WWF has ever done on Saturday mornings (ie. not just another show recapping RAW). Paul Heyman did indeed call in during one episode. He claimed to be a caller from Conneticut, and went off on Vince McMahon. It was definitely a work, but a very well done one. Eventually the show went to an all recap format before getting reformatted/cancelled.

4) Something I've never seen discussed (though I'm sure it has been ten trillion times)...What was the deal with Backlund's 90s run in the WWF? Why did he win the belt? What were his feelings about playing the INSANE Mr. Backlund character? When did he stop appearing on TV? Apologies if he is still semi-active, I haven't watched wrestling on television in almost 5 years.

- Backlund won the WWF Championship simply to transition from Bret Hart to Diesel, without having those two wrestle right away (they were saving it for later). He's dabbled in local politics since leaving WWF, IIRC.

- I'm pretty sure it was two separate shoots. They made a huge deal about the photo doctoring on WWF TV, and even said Randy Savage was trying to buy up all the copies of the magazine, etc. Personally, I think it was a really well done angle (heck, anytime Flair and Savage has feuded, it's been good).

You should check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Ric-Flair---She-w...rch=ric%20flair

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Hayes had his name changed because Vince liked pushing Vince's creations, and Micheal Hayes was not one.

I didn't get internet until 2002. What was the IWC's opinion on Angle getting the title for the first time in 2000?

Guest CookieMueller

Thanks a lot for answering my questions. The Flair/Savage angle was terrific in it's simplicity. The most logical reason for two men to hate each other: a beautiful woman. Great stuff from whoever thought of it, especially with all the cartoony stuff of the era.

Guest CookieMueller

You should check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Ric-Flair---She-w...rch=ric%20flair

Thanks for this. I remember it now. I have that magazine and the next issue where Savage "proves" that they had been doctored, by like, showing his WWF belt on the mantle in the background or something. :lol: Good stuff.

Can someone explain to me the whole Can-Am saga? With Tom Zenk and RIck Martel?

- How they got together and why they got so huge. Well I don't know how huge, Zenk says they headlined, but that's Zenk for you.

- What happened during the breakup, both guys have very different reasons, and they both don't seem credible at all. What was the story behind it really, why would they break up such a bankable team, and did it ruin their careers or would you say that they both were better off doing their singles career?

- Would you say they were more enjoyable than Strike Force? I actualy really liked strike force, but I heard these guys were way above.

- How they got together and why they got so huge. Well I don't know how huge, Zenk says they headlined, but that's Zenk for you.

You have to remember WWF ran more than one "circuit" at a time. There would be an "A" show, a "B" show, sometimes a "C" show. Sometimes WWF would run four shows in one day! (Two matinees, two evening shows). So, they could very well have been headlining during their run, but probably not on the "A" circuit, which would have been Hulk Hogan and whoever he was feuding with. I do know the Can-Am Connection was supposed to be quite popular, especially with the ladies (they were sort of the WWF's version of the Rock & Roll Express, I guess).

- What happened during the breakup, both guys have very different reasons, and they both don't seem credible at all. What was the story behind it really, why would they break up such a bankable team, and did it ruin their careers or would you say that they both were better off doing their singles career?

From my understanding, Tom Zenk wanted more money. I think he claimed Martel had negotiated the contract, and was getting more money. Zenk wanted more of a share, and when Vince balked, Zenk left. That is one side of the story I've heard, anyway.

It's hard to say if it ruined their careers. I don't think you can say Martel was hurt much by it. He won the tag belts with Santana, and then had a hot feud with him after Strike Force broke up. He also went on to cap off his career in WCW, winning the TV Title in 1997 (something that has been basically forgotten).

Zenk didn't do as much. He was fairly popular in WCW in the early '90s, but I don't think you can say he had anywhere close to the success of Martel.

- Would you say they were more enjoyable than Strike Force? I actualy really liked strike force, but I heard these guys were way above.

I think some would say the Can-Am was less annoying than Strike Force, because Strike Force had an annoying entrance theme ;)

Rick Martel tells a story about Zenk leaving the WWF in his shoot. There had just been a dress code implemented, and Zenk showed up to TV with jeans, t-shirt, etc. Martel warned him, but apparantly Zenk was an asshole about it. Also, as someone else said, I believe he did bitch about his money. Anyway, finally, Martel chewed him out for acting the way he did, and Zenk left, having cleared it with Vince, who really couldn't have cared less.

The WWF took a big risk in booking WrestleMania IX in an outdoor arena. What backup plan did they have in place in case it pissed rain? I watched the DVD last night and I didn't see any tarps or anything just in case in rained. What would they have done if it rained?

Another thing, Taker's WrestleMania streak has been pretty impressive. Was the streak ever in trouble? At what point did the WWF realize, "hey this guy is unbeaten at WrestleMania, let's keep this going?"