TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

Maybe if Big Show hadn't have felt the need to cram down 10-packs of hot dogs in one sitting like he used to be known to do backstage, he wouldn't be such a fat shit now.

In WCW, he was in phenominal shape until the last few months there. I heard the WWF paid for him to get liposuction before he debuted with them.

But yeah, don't blame Big Show's inhuman size for his fatness. He made the decision to shovel all sorts of shit down his mouth which made him put on 84 pounds of fat since his WCW debut. He was a ripped 424 when he debuted with WCW, and now weighs 508.

I'll never forget him walking to the ring on Raw during his first WWF Title run with the belt around his waist. Midway down the ramp, the belt snapped off of him.

in WCW when show was in the shape of his life, he actually pulled off a few moonsaults at house shows

In the beginning, times were fun, according to the Big Show, but not without some hardships, as he relates in a humorous story about performing a moonsault.

"It was pretty goofy," he says. "The only problem was that I don't think anybody wanted to lay underneath me when I landed. We were screwing around with it, and one of the upper-echelons in WCW at the time pretty much reamed my ass out for doing that. I was a rookie at the time and didn't really know how to stand up for myself. Basically, they told me I had no business being on the top rope at all. I was a ground attacker, and I was a tank, so stay off the tope rope. Diamond Dallas Page and Terry Taylor put him up to it, and it was one of those collective `you've got so much athleticism, show it.' So I did, and I got my ass chewed out right after it. I haven't actually hit somebody with it, but it was a glorified miss."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FC...i_78264740/pg_2

If he continues to lose weight and drops down to WCW size again, it'd be fun to see him pull it out one day for a big match. I know it would never happen, but it'd be safe to say it'd be a critical.

If there was ever a move worthy enough for the WWE production staff to flash CRITICAL! on the screen, it'd be Show's moonsault.

I know Show busted out a rope assisted kip up in 1997 in a match from Nitro against Curt Hennig.

Didn't The Giant do the moonsault onto Power Warrior in Japan during one of those WCW/New Japan shows, or was that just one of those internet wrestling urban legend things?

'I haven't actually hit somebody with it, but it was a glorified miss.'

I assume that was not in an actual match.

Big Show also 'kipped up' in WWE, i'd like to say against Big Boss Man at Armageddon (or whichever PPV).

'I haven't actually hit somebody with it, but it was a glorified miss.'

I assume that was not in an actual match.

Big Show also 'kipped up' in WWE, i'd like to say against Big Boss Man at Armageddon (or whichever PPV).

It may have been against Boss Man, but I remember him doing it on an episode of RAW towards the end of 1999 as well. Late-1999 Big Show was interesting to say the least. They had him doing all these different moves that you rarely see a man of his size do. I remember an AWESOME match (if someone could provide a download link, I would be eternally grateful) he had with Viscera on RAW where he busted out a Missle Dropkick for the win. It wasn't as graceful as as any given Cruiserweight's take on the move, but for his size, it was borderline-amazing.

To settle the great Giantsault debate:

For the next six months, Wight worked extensively with trainer and former wrestler Terry Taylor. He and wrestlers Diamond Dallas Page and Paul Levesque, who is now Triple H in the WWF, began teaching Wight about the rigors of wrestling. At the time, Wight was extremely agile and was performing moonsaults and jumps off the top rope with regularity. Hogan was monitoring the training regimen and had other ideas. Hogan believed a grounded mat style was better suited for Wight and invited him to move to his Florida beach house to continue his training. Hoping to be groomed for a spot against Hogan, Wight accepted the offer. In short time, Wight debuted in then-booker Kevin Sullivan's "Dungeon of Doom" as "the Giant."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FC...i_81826838/pg_2

That's correct. I saw him do it live at a house show in a match with Snitsky in September 2005. It was a practice run of their match at Unforgiven the same month, and IIRC he did it in that match at well. Oh, I also met him after the aforementioned house show, and he was a really nice guy.

So, we have Hogan to thank for not having Big Show busting-out some ungodly Moonsaults. Good one Orange Goblin!

In fairness though, there is no way Big Show could keep doing the moves ten years into his career. He needed to work the ground game long term.

Wight had no business doing top rope moves. Ever. He is a Giant. He should work like a Giant and get over as a monster. It would be much better for his career to forego doing gimmick-killing, injury-inducing moonsaults and dropkicks to get a nice live pop the first time or to appease internet geeks.

Wight had no business doing top rope moves. Ever. He is a Giant. He should work like a Giant and get over as a monster. It would be much better for his career to forego doing gimmick-killing, injury-inducing moonsaults and dropkicks to get a nice live pop the first time or to appease internet geeks.

I agree. Which is why it pissed me off when after his first few appearances in the WWF, he quickly went from working like a giant to working like any other heavyweight.

Some majorly interesting factoids from 1992 thanks to Herb Kunze's Wrestling Tidbits...

1A: Kerry Von Erich was fired for drug failure]

1B: Kerry Von Erich was to face Papa Shango at Summerslam 1992

2: Post SummerSlam 1992 Feuds - Randy Savage vs. Razor Ramon, Ultimate Warrior vs. Kamala, Davey Boy Smith vs. Repo Man, Bret Hart vs. Papa Shango, Undertaker vs. Ric Flair, Big Bossman vs. Nailz, LOD vs. Beverly Brothers, Tatanka vs. Rick Martel, and Nasty Boys vs. Money Inc

3: Talk that Randy Savage wanted to stay on past Summerslam as WWF Champion

4: Rumors that Bret Hart would jump to WCW and appear on COTC after losing the IC Title to Davey Boy Smith

5: Animal & Crush would work as the new Legion of Doom in Europe. If alright, they would tag in North America too.

6: Terry Taylor joined the WWF in 1992 because a deal with New Japan for an October tour fell through due to $$

7: McMahon made an offer to Hulk Hogan in October to counteract possible offers from New Japan

8: Bushwhacker Butch was fired for missing a TV Taping (October '92)

9: Bret Hart was (supposedly) offered a short-term spot as WWF Champion to stick around post Summerslam

10: Ric Flair no-showed the TV Tapings and a Hamilton House Show over annoyance at losing the WWF Title to Bret Hart

11: The rumored contract from New Japan to Hulk Hogan was around $100,000 per appearance

12: Ric Flair vs. Big Bossman was taped to air on the 11/14/1992 SNME

13: LOD Animal left the WWF in November

14: Davey Boy Smith was set to face The Mountie at Survivor Series but Mountie quit due to knee injury

15: Post Survivor Series Feuds - Nailz vs. Ultimate Warrior, Razor Ramon vs. Undertaker, Money Inc vs. Nasty Boys, and Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty

16: Davey Boy Smith and Ultimate Warrior were fired for “unprofessional conduct” with likely cause being Steroids

17: Rumors that Sid would replace Ric Flair in the Savage/Perfect vs. Flair/Ramon match if Flair couldn’t work

18: Rumored Royal Rumble Match – Electric Chair: Undertaker vs. Nailz

19: Rumor that Bret Hart would drop the WWF Title to Ric Flair in February to set up a Flair vs. Perfect main event at WrestleMania

Here's the more interesting 1993 News and Notes...

1: Bam Bam Bigelow no showed Toronto and several other house shows

2: Vince supposedly got bad press and had to tone down the Doink/Crush angle

3: Vince McMahon filed a lawsuit against Geraldo Rivera after former referee Rita Chatterton accused McMahon of making her perform oral sex and sexual intercourse

4: Sid Vicious was waiting for the WWF to release him in April

5: Genichiro Tenryu vs. Jerry Lawler was rumored late for WrestleMania

6: Brian Clark was rumored to be coming in with a vampire gimmick

7: The tentative Summerslam main event was Hulk Hogan vs. Bret Hart for the WWF Title

8: The Warlord was busted for illegal possession of steroids in Hastings, Minnesota and proclaimed he used them to increase muscle size for pro wrestling

9: Nasty Boys were suspended for a month and scheduled to be back before KOTR. Later fired

10: Rumor that Brutus Beefcake would cut Yokozuna’s hair after Hulk Hogan won at KOTR

11: Rumors that Scott Norton had signed with the WWF in June

12: Rumor that Curt Hennig quit the WWF after Marty Jannetty won the IC Title but was talked back 2 days later

13: Rumor that Adam Bomb was set to be pushed big after the King of the Ring

14: Rumor that the main event at Summerslam would be changed to Hulk Hogan vs. Lex Luger

15: Ted Dibiase and IRS walked from the WWF as a result of disputes over losing the Tag Titles to the Steiners, who also threatened to walk if they didn’t win the Tag Titles

16: Early rumored match for Summerslam was 1-2-3 Kid/Razor Ramon vs. Money Inc

17: Post Summerslam Feuds – Shawn Michaels vs. 1-2-3 Kid, Undertaker vs. Yokozuna, Mr. Hughes vs. Razor Ramon, Curt Hennig vs. Diesel, Bret Hart vs. Doink, Steiners vs. Bam Bam Bigelow/Adam Bomb, IRS vs. Tatanka, Well Dunn vs. Men on a Mission, Bushwhackers vs. Quebecers, and Lex Luger vs. Ludvig Borga

18: Rumor that Jerry Lawler had been fired prior to Summerslam (Could this have been partly in relation to later where he was indicted on counts of rape/sodomy of a 13 year old?)

19: Earthquake and Don Muraco were rumored to return to the WWF in September

20: Del Wilkes was rumored to eventually debut in the WWF with a magician gimmick

21: Some talk of Owen Hart getting a push in October

22: Greg Valentine returned to the WWF and helped Madusa (his girlfriend at time) get a job

23: Bobby Heenan left the WWF because he refused to move despite being flown in several times a week from Sarasota to Stamford

1994 Wrestling Tidbits

1: Royal Rumbles rumors were that Undertaker would win WWF Title and set up a WrestleMania main event of Undertaker vs. Lex Luger

2: Rumored female opponents to Alundra Blaze were Devil Masami (expressed interest), Akira Hokuto, Bull Nakano, and Noriyo Tateno

3: Steiners quit the WWF because they were upset over a rumored Scott Steiner vs. Rick Steiner feud

4: Rumor that the Heavenly Bodies would get a big push after King of the Ring

5: Brian Lee was rumored to come in as a more evil half of a tag team with Undertaker

6: Rumor that Brian Lee would team up with Undertaker after their one on one match

7: Rumor that Sgt. Slaughter would feud with Quebecer Pierre upon Slaughter’s return

8: Harvey Wippleman was injured in the car crash that killed Joey Marella

9: Rumor that a tag team of Mabel/Typhoon would pop up in the WWF

10: Post Summerslam Feuds – Owen Hart vs. Razor Ramon, Bret Hart vs. Jim Neidhart

11: Rumor that Headshrinkers refused to job the Tag Titles to Bam Bam Bigelow/IRS at Summerslam resulting in the Shawn Michaels/Diesel win

12: Rumor that Bret Hart would feud with the returning King Kong Bundy

13: Rumor that Undertaker would release a book titled, “Tombstoned”

14: Rumor that Bret Hart was offered a 2 film deal (both action movies) prior to Survivor Series

15: Rumor that Hercules Hernandez would come in as a gang member enemy of Razor Ramon

16: Rumor that WWF was talking to the Ultimate Warrior about returning

17: Rumor that Chris Candido would team with Louie Spicolli and be managed by Tammy Fytch

I remember the Hercules/Ramon rumor quite well, as I believe it popped up in the Observer around '94-'95 as well (when I first started reading it).

I believe they simply wrote Del Wilkes in wrong by linking him with the magician gimmick, as the eventual Fantasio magician gimmick was done by Del Rios, aka Spellbinder from USWA.

9: Rumor that a tag team of Mabel/Typhoon would pop up in the WWF

Actually, this one became true for one match at least. Him and Mabel teamed up against Yokozuna and Crush in The Summer of '94 in a featured bout on Wrestling Challenge. I don't think I'll ever forgot the image of Typhoon bobbing his head and waving his hands in the air like he just didn't care to the M.O.M.

Man, Fred Ottman had a weird two year stretch in wrestling. Earthquake leaves WWF in January '93 and Typhoon becomes a JTTS for a few months before leaving for an immensely embarrassing WCW run. Then he comes back for a week and a half to WWF to replace Earthquake and do job duty to Yokozuna on the house show circuit.

I remember the Hercules/Ramon rumor quite well, as I believe it popped up in the Observer around '94-'95 as well (when I first started reading it).

I thought that it first started in 1993, shortly after Ramon turned face.

Why wouldn't Flair be able to wrestle at Survivor Series '92? Being pissed off over jobbing the title to Bret?

And for the record, I would have loved a Ric Flair vs. Mr. Perfect WM9 main event with Perfect winning the WWF Title from Flair with Flair going back to WCW afterwards. It would have been a million times better than that Bret/Yoko/Hogan mess.

Something I never managed to put 1 + 1 together on until reading Meltzer spell it out in a 1991 Observer, Savage's "wrestle with a shirt" era was a byproduct of the "get off the roids, everyone!" era. I think I always mentally remember Savage as wearing a top at Mania VII, but that was just part of his ring entrance attire.

Why wouldn't Flair be able to wrestle at Survivor Series '92? Being pissed off over jobbing the title to Bret?

I think Flair was also dealing with an injury at the time (which might've helped in the decision to hot shot the title to Bret along with the contract situation). It seems that Flair's peeve was more over the suddenness of the title switch rather than actually losing the title to Bret.

I think Flair was dealing with some kind of vertigo/inner ear problem at this time. He tells a funny story about it in his shoot interview. I'm paraphrasing here, but he talks about having the Lloyd's of London policy and being due a hefty sum due to his ear problem. So the day to collect finally comes around after months of dealing with it, and Flair wakes up (next to a woman he refuses to name in order to protect her) and finds that the problem is completely gone. Frustrated, he exclaims "SHIT!" and tells his mistress why he won't be collecting millions of dollars that morning.