TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Here I'll place all the things I have to say about music which I don't want a thread about. Feel free to do the same.

I don't know if anyone here has listened to much Christian pop music, but man, a lot of them are really shameless rip off artists.

There's this song called "Joy In the Lord" which was an album single, but they even sing it in church, though I don't know who it's by, but it's pretty much a sped up Stairway to Heaven. Now if you ask people in church, they'll probably tell you that that's an evil song because it says "My sweet Satan" backwards. Actually, if you ever have the opportunity, listen to some hymns backwards. It's pretty fascinating.

Now there's this pretty popular Christian singer name of Steven Curtis Chapman.

sc-chapman1.jpg

Though in fairness he usually doesn't look that stupid.

I heard this song of his the other day and the riff was a direct lift from Walk This Way. Now honestly... if you're going to steal a riff, don't steal one of the most popular and recognizable riffs in music. I mean, really.

So I was listening to this album today:

e00750iy4z1.jpg

And it sucks. Despite this, I can't stop myself from listening to it. It's as if Rick James were the gayest white man on earth and never matured past the fourth grade, or Frank Zappa had a lobotomy and started playing a casio keyboard instead of a guitar.

On the technically positive side, the singer does have a falsetto which would put King Diamond to shame.

I can't even hardly understand the lyrics, but here's a sample of what they sound like to me:

"Bad boy won't you suck my dolly

I piss my ass with a motherfuckin smile on my face

And I get real stupid and you and you and you

Cunt [not can't, cunt] stop me

I'll show ya how official midgets jack me off

La la la la la

I hate Jimmy Page"

That's makes so little sense that I can't help but find myself enthralled by it. I wish I had their first album, but not at the prices it's going for.

I saw a Ted Nugent box set today at the local CD store today. A two disc Ted Nugent greatest hits would be stretching it to the max but a box set that's ridicoulous. Even if it includes his stuff with Amboy Dukes and Damn Yankees.

Edit: Just checked on All Music, it's a double disc greatest hits compilation but was released in 1993, hence why I thought it was a box set. I love the Nuge, but does he really deserve a two disc greatest hits compilation? he had like three hits max!

Speaking of errors in box set, there's Pink Floyd's nearly $300 insult. First, who but the most die hard Pink Floyd fans are going to drop $300 on a box set? And if they are die hard fans (hell, if they're only moderate fans) they're going to get about one disc's worth of new material out of it. What a joke. Cool packaging though.

I made this mix for this girl I like:

01. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

02. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

03. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

04. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

05. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

06. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

07. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

08. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

09. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

10. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

11. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

12. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

She normally listens to things like The Killers and Franz Ferdinand, so I don't know if she'll like it.

You know, Vicky Beckham's solo album is really terrible. I'm starting to wonder if I should just get rid of it. It has a really great cover, on the one hand, but on the other hand... man, does it suck. I only have it to be a Spice Girls completist, but is that something I really want to be?

I think my best bet is to keep it, but throw it in the closet and pretend I don't have it.

Guest Fire and Knives

Who decides to hype these albums? Are they the same people that tell me Franz Ferdinand are going to save rock like the Strokes were a couple months ago?

Do we have their addresses?

K.

Guest Fire and Knives

It's not getting any more than listenable for me. There is no reason on earth for "Quay Cur" to be ten minutes long and the keyboards are pissing me off.

K.

Guest The Shadow Behind You
I'm really starting to like Bleeding Through. They're another "fashioncore" band, as Thumbtack calls them, but they're actually pretty damn good.

There's no shame in liking Bleeding Through. They are a fantastic live show as well.

Guest Phenom

I don't know if I should get the new Beatles box set.

And what does the PF box set look like?

Why is Franz Ferdinand hailed as "the next big thing"? They're just as horrible as, if not worse than, The Strokes, The Hives, and all those other shitty bands. Their songs are boring, repetitive, and uninspired.

Guest Vitamin X
I made this mix for this girl I like:

01. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

02. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

03. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

04. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

05. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

06. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

07. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

08. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

09. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

10. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

11. The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend the Night Together

12. David Bowie - Let's Spend the Night Together

She normally listens to things like The Killers and Franz Ferdinand, so I don't know if she'll like it.

Think the subliminal message will work?

Guest Smues

Does Britney Spears really need a greatest hits album? She's been around for like 5 years.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm trying to make a musical instrument out of metal tubing and an air compressor.

Does Britney Spears really need a greatest hits album? She's been around for like 5 years.

Eh, she's got enough hits. I don't think it's longevity at all, the Backstreet Boys had a greatest hits album like three years ago and they had only been around for two or three years at that time. I think it's the amount of hits not amount of years. Besides I think she's too lazy to record a whole album right now.

More people need to listen to the Mad Capsule Markets.

Your avatar makes this funny.

I'm going to have 'Don't Stop Believin' by Journey played at my wedding.

I dance to the Scissor Sisters entirely too much these days.

I managed to get a hard house fan into sparks at uni.

Last saturday we went to John Peel tribute night at the Leadmill in sheffield, coinciding with my best friend's 21st, and it was the best thing ever. I got them to play wire.

Has anyone got Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus yet? I've not heard it.