TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

So I d/l'ed that version of "Sweet Jane." It's good, but it doesn't surpass the original; plus, Timmins' "la la la"s lack the exult and joy of Reed in the original.

As for Galaxie 500's "Here She Comes Now," it's almost three times as long as the original (six minutes compared to two), but they use the extra time to fully explore the song's melody, as well as throw in a blissful guitar solo. Oh, and it's at a slower tempo than VU's, slower even than CJ's "SJ."

I hate the ecstatic way Reed yells "it's a new age!" around the four minute mark of VU's "New Age." Nearly sinks the song's elegiac tone.

Also, The Clash's "Spanish Bombs" and Elvis Costello & the Attractions' "Oliver's Army" employ the same exact melody (the latter predates the former by seven months), though I've never known anyone to mention it.

You guys that picked up "Georgia Dome" should snag "Grey Goose" as well. I know I love most of the album, but I can say objectively that those two songs are the highlights and all you really need from it (unless you happen to be a Trick Daddy fan). It's about getting drunk.

You guys that picked up "Georgia Dome" should snag "Grey Goose" as well. I know I love most of the album, but I can say objectively that those two songs are the highlights and all you really need from it (unless you happen to be a Trick Daddy fan). It's about getting drunk.

Is he on anything besides "What's Happenin"?. I can't get into the hook on that too much.

Over the past few months, "Letter to Memphis" has become one of my favorite Pixies songs, if not my absolute favorite. The guitar licks are pretty much revelatory. The fact that I get to see it performed live in 7 days makes me a happy clam.

Is he on anything besides "What's Happenin"?. I can't get into the hook on that too much.

No. I really like his verse, and the one following it, what bring that song down is the third verse is a notable step down, and yeah, the hook coulda been better. His verse, however, is as good as anything on Thug Matrimony, and I love Thug Matrimony, in case you haven't noticed me say it before.

Is he on anything besides "What's Happenin"?.  I can't get into the hook on that too much.

No. I really like his verse, and the one following it, what bring that song down is the third verse is a notable step down, and yeah, the hook coulda been better. His verse, however, is as good as anything on Thug Matrimony, and I love Thug Matrimony, in case you haven't noticed me say it before.

I'm pretty sure my roommate's getting me Thug Matrimony for Christmas, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting him Me and My Brother. We're the coolest upper middle class white kids around.

I hate the ecstatic way Reed yells "it's a new age!" around the four minute mark of VU's "New Age." Nearly sinks the song's elegiac tone.

it's reed being caught in the musical ecstasy of the purity of the moment, that brief space of time where you completely lose yourself. like having really intense sex and yelling out something really inappropriate, like "teddy ruxpin!"

then by your argument, the whole soaring "it's the beginning of a new age" coda shouldn't be in the song either. from the lyrics and the melody, you can safely say that's the glimmer of hope for the characters at the end, the indication that they've made some kind of real connection through all the sordidness and shitty stories.

i still think reed's little interjection is a stupid ad-lib, but i think it's more a matter of not capturing the idea quite right than a matter of almost ruining the song's whole tone.

I kinda pretend the song stops after four minutes; not only do I not want happiness for these characters, the vocals are mixed so oddly in that portion of the song it becomes a distraction. Yule's lead vocal was upfront for the majority of the tune, but the Reed portion comes in from this odd middle distance that I don't like at all.

I'm a cranky bastard sometimes, though.

i looked up galaxie 500 & found out that they're the ancestor of luna, which caused me to dig up my old copy of 'penthouse' (which i bought years ago, only because i'd heard "bonnie & clyde" on the radio once, listened to the album maybe 3 times & promptly forgot). i'm listening to it right now, and it's pretty damn cool. poppy and just a little creepy.

g31102gvo26.jpg

I listened to that in the car yesterday while driving down a winding country backroad. "Inferno", which if you don't know, is all outer spacey and nearly 11 minutes long, had me driving around 90 without noticing it. That's really better trance music than actual trance music. On the compilation it's followed by another version of the same song which begins with "No one can hope to predict what those insane aliens will do next. I shall launch at once!" It's a cool thing to hear in those circumstances.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
I like Gwen Stefani's song, What Your Waiting For.

I might actually buy the album.

Its weird. She tries to rap and too hard to be funky.

The chorus on one sing is

"this is shit is bananas"

than she spells bananas.

The single is awesome though.

I still need to give it a further listen, but as of right now, it just seemed like a party album for girls.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

How did the Beastie Boys totally lose anything they had going for themselves in 5 years? Like they manage to stay real from about 86-98 (even though hello Nasty was kinda iffy) but still, their latest work seems too desperate. Metephorically speaking, they are the old grandpa's who slip off the roof trying to put on the Christmas Lights, after doing it for years. Somethings changed.

Its a shame.

How did the Beastie Boys totally lose anything they had going for themselves in 5 years? Like they manage to stay real from about 86-98 (even though hello Nasty was kinda iffy) but still, their latest work seems too desperate. Metephorically speaking, they are the old grandpa's who slip off the roof trying to put on the Christmas Lights, after doing it for years. Somethings changed.

Its a shame.

Perhaps they discovered that their nearly 40 year-old rich white guys trying to make music for kids that weren't even born when their first slbum dropped and thus, have stopped caring.

Its a shame.

Like some other artists, its the name that sells not the actual music.

While listening to half of Pretty Hate Machine today, I idly considered that the opposite of that title would be Hideous Love Organism... which is such a fantastic name for an album I shouldn't even be telling you this.

Best name for a punk album that has never been...

PUNK AIN'T GOT NO DENTAL PLAN

featuring covers of:

I'm All Out of Love (Air Supply)

My Mind Is Playin' Tricks on Me(Geto Boyz)

Help(The Beatles)

Name of the group?

THE GRATEFUL DEAD KENNEDYS VS. FUGOZZY OZZBOURNE

(special guests...HEAVY D AND THE BOYZ TO MEN AT WORK)

While listening to half of Pretty Hate Machine today, I idly considered that the opposite of that title would be Hideous Love Organism... which is such a fantastic name for an album I shouldn't even be telling you this.

Speaking of great musical names, my buddy Lance and I had the idea to start a punk or psychobilly band called Flaming Zombie Soccer Moms after watching the new "Dawn of the Dead."

i think chinese documentary karaoke might be a good name for a band. haven't quite decided yet.

'pretty hate machine's opposite might also be called 'unsightly love inantimate object'. which brings to mind a mangled-looking dildo.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Switching it up a bit and simplifying the equation leads to Ugly Animal Love.

You know, speaking of Nine Inch Nails, it took me a long time to accept Trent Reznor as more than a pathetic joke because of the devotion to him by many idiots I have known.

Oh, Reznor's been a joke for quite some time now. He used to know how to write good song, but ever since The Downward Spiral, it's been well, downward for Trent in terms of songwriting capabilities. Being labeled a genius is never a good sign. It leads to failure.