TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

I must have listened to In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel a thousand times before, but this is the first time that I've comprehended just how heartbreaking this album is. Jeff Magnum sounds like he's tearing himself apart on every word. The line "I wish I could save her in some sort of time machine" just about made me cry.

Music is weird.

Guest Fire and Knives

The Doors are the only guilty pleasure remaining from my high school years.

K.

Guest Fire and Knives

UPDATE: the more rum I drink, the better the Doors sound. The only other artist that sounds better when I'm drunk is Andrew W.K.

Discuss.

K.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
"Get your hands off of my woman" by The Darkness is fantastic party music, regardless of how much the band themselves suck.

Your parties must fucking suck

I counted about 15 or 16 I wouldn't mind seeing out of that Coachella list. Not bad. I'd like to see Boards of Canada live so I could nod my head and say things like "Wow, that's really fascinating."

The Darkness are good for the same kinds of parties where someone puts on "You Shook Me All Night Long" while a bunch of guys drinking beer out of Solo cups stand in a cluster, lightly headbang, and pump their fists. Sometimes these end in circle jerks.

Also, I'm getting Incandenza a copy of the Arcade Fire's self-titled EP for Christmas.

irony! o, sweet irony! how good your icy touch feels against my skin!

i've got a hankering to buy 'kid A' sometime this weekend. i'm going to try to keep myself busy today so that it doesn't happen. not because i'm grossly against the idea of getting the album again, but because it's getting near christmas and i really need to curb my habit of impulsively buying albums. stupid tower records. why do they have to be 2 blocks from me, why do they have to make it so easy.

fuck it. i'll give in eventually.

Guest Angrycole
UPDATE: the more rum I drink, the better the Doors sound. The only other artist that sounds better when I'm drunk is Andrew W.K.

Discuss.

K.

Dude Andrew WK is the shit if your drunk or not. If you want to have an awesome time, go to and Andrew WK show.

Guest Angrycole
The 2G iPods replaced the mechanical scroll wheel with a touch-sensitive, non-moving one (also made by Synaptics) which could detect the motion of the user's finger circling around it. The button in the center of the wheel and the buttons around the wheel were still mechanical. These iPods came with a wired remote control and belt-clip carrying case.

whats so strange?

You live in Greenwich, right? I know the Tower you're talking about. I dropped like 80 bucks there last time I was in NYC.

That Tower holds a special place in my heart. It's where I picked up The Velvet Underground & Nico, as well as the Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady. I'd go broke if I lived within 20 blocks of it.

Guest Phenom
The 2G iPods replaced the mechanical scroll wheel with a touch-sensitive, non-moving one (also made by Synaptics) which could detect the motion of the user's finger circling around it. The button in the center of the wheel and the buttons around the wheel were still mechanical. These iPods came with a wired remote control and belt-clip carrying case.

whats so strange?

You've missed the picture completly.

You live in Greenwich, right? I know the Tower you're talking about. I dropped like 80 bucks there last time I was in NYC.

That Tower holds a special place in my heart. It's where I picked up The Velvet Underground & Nico, as well as the Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady. I'd go broke if I lived within 20 blocks of it.

Here's the store in question:

125storepic.jpg

You, gtd and myself have all walked through those doors.

The best music store I know is Rasputin's in Berkeley. There's five or six of them, but that one specifically. And just a block away is Amoeba's where the selection isn't as good but they have the best prices I've ever seen. Come to SF just to go there. You can smoke inside if you look cool enough.

Discuss.

K.

I don't get drunk... but I can name several artists that only sound good when I'm on something. Not many which are good sober and better fucked, however.

"Get your hands off of my woman" by The Darkness is fantastic party music, regardless of how much the band themselves suck.

Your parties must fucking suck

Wasn't my party and it didn't suck.

You overrate your prescence in this folder, btw.

MY RADIOHEAD ODYSSEY THROUGH GREENWICH VILLAGE

so i figured i'd give in and get 'kid A' and 'amnesiac', cause i had to sell them both over christmas break 2002 (when i was completely flat ass broke and the battery in my car died and i still had to buy christmas presents, so i sold a third of my cd collection to have enough petty cash to get through the month), and i kind of missed them. easy enough task.

i go to tower records. they don't have 'kid A', and 'amnesiac' is $18.99. i'm all "fuck that shit." i don't bother with 'other music' that inc just mentioned, cause i just don't like them for some reason, and i figure i can get what i want at bleecker street records, just past 6th avenue.

i find 'kid A' for $15.99 at bleecker street records. kind of expensive, but i'm not going to be picky at this point. but they don't have 'amnesiac', and i'm all "what the fuck."

i go farther west to a place on christopher street. turns out it's a used cd store, and they don't have any radiohead.

i go to disc o'rama, another mostly used cd store on west 4th, and they don't seem to have any radiohead either. i would've looked a little harder, but they don't keep their inventory very organized at all and the place was really crowded, so i didn't feel like hunting for it among the dozens of other people in a space legally small enough to be a dog house.

i go to bleecker bob's on west 3rd, but they specialize in vinyl & their cd collection is really tiny & bizarrely split into scores of obsessive mini-categories, so i didn't even know where i'd start to look for where (or even IF) they keep radiohead. and why the hell do you want to have "bleecker" in the title of your record store if it's on west 3rd? it makes you look like a retard.

"so, we should meet at that record store, bleecker bob's."

"sure. that's on bleecker street, isn't it? i'll find it."

"no, it's on west 3rd."

"...i'm not meeting you there."

i go to generation records on thompson between west 3rd and bleecker street, which is incidentally right next to a really good italian restaurant called portobello. i find a copy of 'amnesiac' for $11.99.

i walk home. the end.

to recap:

1. tower

2. bleecker street records

3. that used place on christopher street

4. disc o'rama

5. bleecker bob's

6. generation records

i wanted to accompany it with a 'ulysses'-type map tracing my quest, but that's the best i can do.

in retrospect, i should've just gone to 'other music'. i bet they had both cd's.

i didn't even know they made velvet underground shirts.

I did an image search on "velvet underground shirts," but couldn't find mine exactly. It's a reproduction—in black print on a white shirt—of the cover of the book from which the band got its name.

When I was in NYC last year, they had the same shirt at Bleecker Bob's, except white on black. I almost got it, since, sadly, my original one was starting to fade.

I must have listened to In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel a thousand times before, but this is the first time that I've comprehended just how heartbreaking this album is. Jeff Magnum sounds like he's tearing himself apart on every word. The line "I wish I could save her in some sort of time machine" just about made me cry.

Music is weird.

Sometimes that album makes me all blubbery and emotional and I think it's about the most cathartic albums ever recorded; other times, I find it dull and maddeningly vague. Needless to say, it's one of my all time favorites.

Music is weird.