TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Nah, it'd just disappear randomly like every thread I ever have mild interest in does. Considering they haven't done much but tour for the last 2 years or so, I don't think it'd be worth it, especially since they have three albums (not counting their s/t, which I think is just b-sides and such), and while each has its own identity (Remissions is heavy as fuck, Leviathan is excellent obscure storytelling, and Blood Mountain goes from straight-forward sludge metal into these huge proggy landscapes), they're nothing to create an entire thread over. Maybe just a sludge/swamp thread, if anything, would do.

Can someone recommend me a good album by "The National" to try them out with?

Also, has anyone listened to any of the more recent Buffalo Tom albums, and if so, are they any good?

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

I thought Boxer was pretty good, though I'm not as in love with it as most, and I'm told that Alligator is even better but I don't have that one. Boxer has cool drumming and vocals, though.

I thought Boxer was pretty good, though I'm not as in love with it as most, and I'm told that Alligator is even better but I don't have that one. Boxer has cool drumming and vocals, though.

I'm really enjoying Alligator. Enough that I'm going to grab Boxer tonight.

Anybody familiar enough with The Bartlebees enough to reccomend me an album? I listened to them on myspace and I like it, especially the French songs.

I'm looking for a few torrents that I just can't manage to get my hands on through my normal routes, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction to them.

The Whigs - Give Em All A Big Fat Lip

The Whigs - Mission Control

Vampire Weekend - EP and Album

Can anybody help me out?

Eric Clapton & JJ Cale - Road to Escondido

You guys should really listen to that. Masterful guitar. Nothing flashy, nothing innovative, just two old men who've been playing the instrument most of their lives giving it their best.

I mean, Clapton, I like his real early Cream stuff... fuck that sad period when he was singing about his father and his dead son. JJ Cale was always totally good. Not as well known, unfortunately.

At the very least listen to the song "Danger". Man, that is so guitar.

Vampire Weekend is the "hot" band of the moment. I especially wanted to get my hands on the album after the glowing piece in the current GQ (Rachel Bilson = smoking hot) and well... I'm disappointed. It's decent enough, I guess, but all the hype... damn.

Now I get where people are coming from with Black Kids. I guess I just didn't get it there because I liked it so much myself.

Eric Clapton & JJ Cale - Road to Escondido

You guys should really listen to that. Masterful guitar. Nothing flashy, nothing innovative, just two old men who've been playing the instrument most of their lives giving it their best.

I mean, Clapton, I like his real early Cream stuff... fuck that sad period when he was singing about his father and his dead son. JJ Cale was always totally good. Not as well known, unfortunately.

At the very least listen to the song "Danger". Man, that is so guitar.

This album feels a lot more genuine to me than "Riding with the King".

My favorite period for Clapton was Derek & the Dominoes, followed by Cream, then the Slowhand time.

My Dad has that album Milky is talking about. He usually blasts it over dinner (which is quite normal for a single parent). I enjoyed it at the time, but I should download the album and give it a good listen.

I really dig Local H cover of Britney Spears Toxic. I was baffled at first that Local H were still around when someone told me it was them doing the cover.

I'll listen to that, but I don't really like the idea of genre-crossing covers, they're often cheap and corny.

Some exceptions: Ben Folds' "Bitches Ain't Shit" cover... it's so absurd it's almost Weird Al-esque...

Uncle Tupelo's version of "I Wanna Be Your Dog". Uncle Tupelo have enough integrity to pull shit like that. Plus I think this was originally recorded as just them screwing around, only to be released years later.

Vampire Weekend is the "hot" band of the moment. I especially wanted to get my hands on the album after the glowing piece in the current GQ (Rachel Bilson = smoking hot) and well... I'm disappointed. It's decent enough, I guess, but all the hype... damn.

Now I get where people are coming from with Black Kids. I guess I just didn't get it there because I liked it so much myself.

I completely rescind this statement. The album has totally grown on me. My favorite track is "Oxford Comma" and features the line "To the window and to the wall, Lil' Jon... he always tells the truth." I had to rewind it the first time I heard it to make sure I got the lyric right. The guy sounds a little like Paul Simon and the lyric totally fits the song, which made it completely unexpected.

Check it out if you're up for something different, I suppose.

I'll listen to that, but I don't really like the idea of genre-crossing covers, they're often cheap and corny.

Some exceptions: Ben Folds' "Bitches Ain't Shit" cover... it's so absurd it's almost Weird Al-esque...

Uncle Tupelo's version of "I Wanna Be Your Dog". Uncle Tupelo have enough integrity to pull shit like that. Plus I think this was originally recorded as just them screwing around, only to be released years later.

I'm aware it's been discussed fairly recently, but Bryan Ferry's 'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall' is fucking tits as well.