TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

In the spirit of Necrobucket, here's two fake song titles and band names:

Hip Hop/R&B: Jung Billz (feat. Lil Wayne & T-Pain)- "We Ain't Did Nothing (We Ain't Sposed to Did)"

Punk: The Krust Kids- "Crust Never Sleeps"

Pretty lame.

Re: Coachella: There's only about ten of those bands that I have any interest whatsoever in seeing (Black Kids being one of them, Tegan & Sara, My Morning Jacket some of the others). I always say I'm going to go, but I never, ever do. Perhaps I'll get around to it this year.

Re: Sage Francis: He started out incredibly promising, and Personal Journals is where he began to make a marked descent into almost parody. And he's a vegan, so fuck him.

Still no takers on the Vampire Weekend CD? I figured some of you would have listened to it by now with all the buzz it's getting.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Went over to my parents' house today. Mom was at work, and dad was BLARING Iron Butterfly while fixing the sink. I surprised him while his head was under the sink and scared him. Surprised he survived. Hilarious.

Still no takers on the Vampire Weekend CD? I figured some of you would have listened to it by now with all the buzz it's getting.

I think I need to give it a few more listens, but I like it just fine for now. They seem a bit like an indie version of Paul Simon, which isn't as good as I expected it to be when that inevitably happened. I think that leads to some of my disappointment. If that makes sense.

Also, has any other band ever gone from pretty much underground hype to mainstream MTV hype in less time?

I just listened to it and it's not particularly interesting. Most of the album sounds effortless to a fault, and the vocals have a certain Paul Simon is assfucking the guy from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah un-charm about them (which I mean not in the sense that he sounds like Paul Simon, which a lot of people seem to be suggesting, but that Paul Simon is actually forcibly violating Alec Ounsworth and not letting him get up until he puts a calliope and three xylophones on a given track). "Blake's Got a New Face" is really lame. I like "I Stand Corrected," which is one of the only songs to get away from all the dithering "we use bongos and steel drums and flute-sounds" shit. I think these guys could do something pretty cool if they dropped a lot of the extraneous twiddling and didn't so actively push that to the forefront of their songs.

Could be. On the topic, check out this miserable excerpt from the horrible review of the album up at Pitchfork today:

If there's anything the happy New York kids in this band have learned from listening to African music, it's the difference between "pop" and "rock": Vampire Weekend's debut album announces straight off that it's the former. The first sound on the first song, "Mansard Roof", comes from Rostam Batmanglij's keyboard, set to a perky, almost piping tone-- the kind of sunny sound you'd hear in old west-African pop. Same goes for Ezra Koenig's guitar, which never takes up too much space; it's that clean, natural tone you'd get on a record from Senegal or South Africa.

I just want to teabag this guy into submission for so many reasons.

Oh boy another snuffbox Vs hipster showdown. I can't begin to tell you how (not) excited I am to witness this.

You've figured me out, Kamala.

In my old age, I've found I prefer the Stones to the Beatles. It didn't use to be that way.

I'd still say the Beatles are better, but the Stones are more awesome.

I've prefered the Stones ever since I accepted that, yes, they were a good band. Paul McCartney is still my favourite songwriter from either group though.

The Stones have really just started to grow on me as well. They're much grittier, and once you realize that they're actually a rock band and the Beatles are a pop group, it makes the decision much easier.

I really dig Local H cover of Britney Spears Toxic. I was baffled at first that Local H were still around when someone told me it was them doing the cover.

I like Nickel Creek's "Toxic" cover.