TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

for some reason, i just recently remembered that my mom owned 'lyle lovett and his large band' when i was a kid, and i hated it. but in some of my vague memories of the sound, i found myself really loving my memory of his voice on "nobody knows me." so i sample some itunes, and he does indeed have a voice that i really love. i may have to get this thing.

for some reason, i just recently remembered that my mom owned 'lyle lovett and his large band' when i was a kid, and i hated it. but in some of my vague memories of the sound, i found myself really loving my memory of his voice on "nobody knows me." so i sample some itunes, and he does indeed have a voice that i really love. i may have to get this thing.

A couple years ago I went to a Lovett concert (I couldn't turn down free second row tickets to anything) and enjoyed it for the most part. He has a pretty cool voice, but I don't think I could regularly listen to him or that style folk/country.

The Dillinger Escape Plan is about to perform on Conan. Odd.

I skipped a few pages in this thread (that I assume neglected your contribution) just to ask... did you see it, and how if you did- how were they?

I thought it was a good performance, albeit, probably not one indicative of the group's character. They played probably their most mainstream song, which I seem to be in the minority of liking. The video's on YouTube.

At any rate, a lot of their hardcore "fans" were upset with the song selection; some numbskulls were complaining Dillinger didn't play shit off their first album.

Dillinger is an odd band, because they used to write complete chaos, and at times it was good, but when they're off? They're WAY off. That one song that was in SDvR'06, "Unretrofied," has grown on me a lot. Not in the sense that Darkest Hour's "sellout" song, "Convalescense," has, but it has grown on me a decent amount. Still not a fan, though.

And of course they won't play their OLD shit live. Nobody would buy their stuff if all they heard was screaming, even if it takes a lot of talent musically to play.

And of course they won't play their OLD shit live. Nobody would buy their stuff if all they heard was screaming, even if it takes a lot of talent musically to play.

That's what initially got me into DEP. I do like that as their lineup has changed, so has their sound to a certain extent. I'm not suprised they played one of their mainstream songs; being on Conan was propably one of their biggest appearances and they should make the most of it.

I don't mind "Convalescense". It's a catchy enough track that doesn't turn off non metal listeners.

I don't mind it now. I actually love it now. But when I first heard it? All I could think of was how this is the band that once played "Oklahoma," and wrote the 10-minute masterpiece "Veritas Aequitas." And now they're playing slower shit. I still don't think anything on the last two albums can touch Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation, but it doesn't look like they mind too much. The chorus to "Demon(s)" is solid, and the chorus to "Sound the Surrender" is probably the best they've written, but they seem to lack that uber-edge that they did when they weren't as popular.

Hidden Hands was a really cool album. I listened to them before, but of my way to get that album was because Fred Nordstrom and a few former At the Gates-ers were making appearances on it. What can I say; I'm biased towards the Gothenberg sound.

I don't know if this should go in Music CTDWAT but since it is supposed to be in theory, Music Television, I'll ask here. Why the hell is MTV showing clips of Bad Brains and Cornel West in between shows? My only guess is Black History Month. But they both seem to be kind of odd choices for MTV. You think they'd just show Ne-Yo or something.

I saw the Bad Brains stuff too. For the past few months, MTV has been using a given artist's videos or performance as their "bumper" for a week, a featured artist of sorts. I figured it was some sort of variation on that for older acts, as everything else has been current. Weird indeed.

Amon Tobin's Supermodified is a great album.

I've just realized that if given the choice, I would rather fuck Chris Crocker than Britney Spears.

Not that I wouldn't kill to fuck Britney. It's really more of a statement of how attractive I find Chris Crocker.

He's got that trainwreck appeal like Amy Winehouse.

I guess this is as good of a place as any for this one:

Beavis and Butthead rip on Steve-O's Rap Video from the 24-Hour Jackass MTV takeover this past weekend. Good to see new B&B stuff.

"He should staple his lips to his BUTT."

"Yeah, then he could roll around on the ground mumbling at his own BUTT."

That was great.

It has come to my attention that Terrorizer, my favorite metal mag, loves black metal way more than I'd care for. In their top 40 albums of 2007, there were only 3 thrash albums (and considering '07 was the year of thrash's return, that's a fucking crime), and maybe 7 doom albums (the English love them some doom). A handful of death albums, but I'd say at least 50% of the top 40 releases were black metal. Considering black metal hasn't really meant shit since the days of the Black Circle, that's kinda sad. It was nice to see Municipal Waste in the top 20, though (The Art of Partying was at #17, IIRC). And they had reader poll awards, and Dimmu Borgir was in the top 5 for every single award save for "Exposed" (they're way of saying "you're really a bunch of poseurs") and "Most Shaggable." Best Album, Worst Album, Best Live Act, Worst Live Act, Want More, Want Less...fucking funny, actually.

AUSTIN (Feb. 28) - Drummer Buddy Miles, who played with Jimi Hendrix and sang in the claymation commercials featuring the California Raisins in the 1980s, has died. He was 60.

Miles, who had been suffering from congestive heart failure, died Tuesday night in Austin, publicist Duane Lee said.

LOS ANGELES - Singer Mike Smith of The Dave Clark Five has died, less than

two weeks before the band was to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of

Fame.

The band's publicist says Smith died of pneumonia today outside London.

Smith was 64.

The Dave Clark Five's hits include "Glad All Over," "Catch Us If You Can"

and "Over and Over."

Smith's illness was a complication from a spinal cord injury he sustained in

September 2003 that left him paralyzed below the ribs. Smith had been in the

hospital since the accident and was just released this past December.

He had intended to attend The Dave Clark Five's induction into the Rock and

Roll Hall of Fame in New York on March 10th.

I received a turntable for my birthday this week. Any recommendations on sites to purchase used and/or new vinyl?

Ebay is pretty good. If you want rare groove/funk/soundtrack/library type stuff, Dusty Groove might be up your alley.

Guest Vitamin X

Cheech, whenever you come up to Portland, I would suggest checking out Everyday Music or Jackpot Records, on W Burnside. Both places have a great selection of vinyl, particularly EM.

I don't buy CD's, personally. Only thing I use them for is back-ups. Only digital or vinyl for me.

Cheech, whenever you come up to Portland, I would suggest checking out Everyday Music or Jackpot Records, on W Burnside. Both places have a great selection of vinyl, particularly EM.

I don't buy CD's, personally. Only thing I use them for is back-ups. Only digital or vinyl for me.

Oh no doubt. I love both those stores. I was just looking for some other options to help build a collection (on the cheap). I'm not a collector, nor am I much of an audiophile but I do have an affinity for vinyl.

Kind of an obvious answer but I bet EBay has a ton of vinyls at relatively reasonable prices.

I'd check yard sales too. It seems like whenever I got a yard sale (granted, it's not often), someone's always trying to unload their record collection.