TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Does anybody here think they have a really good ear and could maybe identify what chords are being played in a song? I'd really like to know what chords are being played in
song, but my ear's not so great.

The song is First Sight by These United States by the way.

The recording of the song is terrible, so it makes it a little hard to discern some of the chords, but most of what's in there at the beginning is just standard jazz stuff, dom7s and whatnot. I can probably scratch out the full chord structure, at some point.

Here's your chord structure, with my best guess for the voicings on guitar. As I initially noted, the chord textures themselves are criminally easy, relying mostly on dominant (Major chord, minor 7th) sevenths. The song never truly leaves GM and the only turn that's a little out of the ordinary comes from the consecutive dom7s in the chorus; theory-wise, I think the first C dom7 would be a tritone substitution (C "subbing" in for F#, resolves to B) functioning as a secondary dominant to the relative minor (after resolving to B, B finally resolves to E)...but I'm a little bit rusty, so caveat emptor, I guess. Anyway, here you go.

Verse (I - VI - II - V):
GM      (3-2-0-0-0-x)
Em      (0-2-2-0-0-0)
Am      (x-0-2-2-1-0)
D dom7  (x-x-0-2-1-2)

Chorus (I - V/IV - IV - Tritone Sub V/V/VI - V/VI - VI - V - V:
GM      (3-2-0-0-0-x)
G dom7  (3-2-0-0-0-1)
CM      (x-3-2-0-1-0)
C dom7  (x-3-2-3-1-0)
B dom7  (x-2-4-4-4-5)
Em      (0-2-2-0-0-0)
DM      (x-x-0-2-3-2)
D dom7  (x-x-0-2-1-2)

Milky, Gwar's "Surf of Syn" is decent. Off of a lame album (Ragnarok, which I'd say is equally as bad as Carnival of Chaos), but it's sorta surf-y. Otherwise the only thing I can think of would be Psychobilly bands, so yeah...no help there.

Also, fucking GREAT tour this summer:

SUICIDAL FINAL TOUR 2008

At The Gates

Darkest Hour

Municipal Waste

I'm SO fucking there. I love Darkest Hour, ADORE TO THE EXTREME Municipal Waste, and At The Gates are legendary.

The Atlantics, man. They were from Austrailia, and they w(Kinetic)ere faster, noisier, and more aggressive than your average surf band.

Also, I cannot recommend the album Guitar Beat by the Raybeats highly enough. It's like, no wave surf rock.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Does anybody here think they have a really good ear and could maybe identify what chords are being played in a song? I'd really like to know what chords are being played in
song, but my ear's not so great.

The song is First Sight by These United States by the way.

The recording of the song is terrible, so it makes it a little hard to discern some of the chords, but most of what's in there at the beginning is just standard jazz stuff, dom7s and whatnot. I can probably scratch out the full chord structure, at some point.

Here's your chord structure, with my best guess for the voicings on guitar. As I initially noted, the chord textures themselves are criminally easy, relying mostly on dominant (Major chord, minor 7th) sevenths. The song never truly leaves GM and the only turn that's a little out of the ordinary comes from the consecutive dom7s in the chorus; theory-wise, I think the first C dom7 would be a tritone substitution (C "subbing" in for F#, resolves to B) functioning as a secondary dominant to the relative minor (after resolving to B, B finally resolves to E)...but I'm a little bit rusty, so caveat emptor, I guess. Anyway, here you go.

Verse (I - VI - II - V):
GM      (3-2-0-0-0-x)
Em      (0-2-2-0-0-0)
Am      (x-0-2-2-1-0)
D dom7  (x-x-0-2-1-2)

Chorus (I - V/IV - IV - Tritone Sub V/V/VI - V/VI - VI - V - V:
GM      (3-2-0-0-0-x)
G dom7  (3-2-0-0-0-1)
CM      (x-3-2-0-1-0)
C dom7  (x-3-2-3-1-0)
B dom7  (x-2-4-4-4-5)
Em      (0-2-2-0-0-0)
DM      (x-x-0-2-3-2)
D dom7  (x-x-0-2-1-2)

See, this pisses me off. I could play that if I felt like picking it out, but could never explain it as such.

Milky, Gwar's "Surf of Syn" is decent. Off of a lame album (Ragnarok, which I'd say is equally as bad as Carnival of Chaos), but it's sorta surf-y. Otherwise the only thing I can think of would be Psychobilly bands, so yeah...no help there.

Also, fucking GREAT tour this summer:

SUICIDAL FINAL TOUR 2008

At The Gates

Darkest Hour

Municipal Waste

I'm SO fucking there. I love Darkest Hour, ADORE TO THE EXTREME Municipal Waste, and At The Gates are legendary.

I posted that before; it's going to be a ridiculously awesome show. If only Carcass would come over stateside...

So seeing the RedBull commercials have got me wanting to download some Jimmy Cliff.

Anyone with reccomendations of songs? (I know there's been a few people here that've worked at Starbucks.. so any of the reggae songs off the HearMusic collection would be nice too..)

If only DRI would get back together and do shows with MW...you'd never know when each set would end!

That would be great. I've been starting to get into DRI again.

I'm still miffed they chased away the perfectly capable John Bush because they wanted the cash-grabalicious reunion with that poodle-haired asshole

I need help looking for a song. I've tried using Google, Myspace, Limewire, and Yahoo to find the song but I can't find it anywhere online.

It's called "The Piss Poor Anthem" and it's by a band called the Razlians (Ra-zill-lians). I'm sure I mis-spelled the band name but yeah, I'm just looking for the song. If anyone can help me, that'd be great.

When I can't find a song, I find the artists last.fm page, find the song, find the songs top listeners, and ask one of them to e-mail it to me. they think you're a little weird but no one's ever said no.

Try the ProjectPlaylist site. Selection is poor, but if they have it, you could copy the URL beneath the song title and d/l it that way. It's how I got Madonna's "Suck My Pussy" (albeit a short version of it) after looking for it with my girlfriend for the last 2 months.

I did try that projectplaylist thing as I use it for my myspace, didn't have it either. I'm thinking it's a underground song and it's going to be pretty much impossible to find it online.... I'm sure it'd help if I knew the correct way to spell the bands name.

None of the new albums hitting recently have really caught my attention. Everyone's gushing over Panic at the Disco, and while it's not really my thing I gave it a listen. There's a few decent tracks on there but I can't imagine I'll be listening to any of it in a few months. I loved The Kooks' first CD but this second one is pretty friggin' awful, although it has one or two good tracks on there.

I just keep coming back to Lust Lust Lust by the Raveonettes.

Pearl Jam is doing a 10-date East Coast tour this June, which I'm sure is of no interest to anyone here except me.

That is a complete fabrication on your part.

(Anyone but you, I mean)

Apparently my copy of Aerosmith's "Done with Mirrors" is from the original 1985 pressing of the CD and is a hard to find item. Neato.

This is because Maiden rule. End of story.

I am getting more and more excited for the Suicidal Final Tour this summer. My favorite band of the three will no doubt be on first, but it'll be worth staying to see a semi-full Darkest Hour set, and then check out some At The Gates stuff too. But really, I'm just going because MUNICIPAL WASTE IS GONNA FUCK [me] UP!