TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

However Ruby Tuesday is fairly awful.

No

Yes, it is. I don't understand the appeal of people liking this song. It's bland and boring.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I don't care for it either. My patience with the Rolling Stones is very short.

Between the exotic instrumentation, catchy chorus and melancholy tone 'Ruby Tuesday' is a pretty good song. 'Let's Spend the Night Together' is much better in terms of piano romps though.

I get the same feeling from "Reckoner" that you do, Danny. It makes me want to play the drums. The only song from the album that makes their pantheon of awesong songs. I love "Down Is the New Up," and I wish that would've made the cut. Also great drums. "House of Cards" is a shitpile. It doesn't go anywhere. It just goes. I don't think I'm allowed to discuss this album anymore.

Hilariously, I found myself listening to it all over again after hearing - get this - "15 Step" on a commercial for a local talk radio station (The Big 550...KTRS). And I think I like it more now, as I've finally decided to soften up a little bit on "All I Need", Boards of Canada be damned. Haven't touched the second disc since my initial review, other than redirecting my affection from "Up On The Ladder" to the skronky guitar wigout of "Bangers and Mash." It's an absolute throwaway, far away from the big moments that you would prefer in their catalogue, but it's hilarious, with the terrible guitar sound and Thom chuckling after the breakdown (which is still stupid, of course).

Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Kanye West, Wilco, and the Raconteurs will probably be officially announced as the Lollapalooza headliners tomorrow morning

Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Kanye West, Wilco, and the Raconteurs will probably be officially announced as the Lollapalooza headliners tomorrow morning

Jesus that's sweet.

Well, fuck NIN, but the rest.

Has anyone heard anything about Metallica releasing a new album over seas? A guy I work with swears he has a copy of the new album not released here in the States and says it sounds like Metallica of old.

He's suppose to be burning me copy, but I don't want to waste my time with this flake if he's full of shit or he just found some band that sounds like old Metallica.

Jesus that's sweet.

Well, fuck NIN, but the rest.

NIN would be the only group out of that list I'd be interested in seeing.

Has anyone heard anything about Metallica releasing a new album over seas? A guy I work with swears he has a copy of the new album not released here in the States and says it sounds like Metallica of old.

He's suppose to be burning me copy, but I don't want to waste my time with this flake if he's full of shit or he just found some band that sounds like old Metallica.

The album's not due out 'til either this summer or early next year. Your coworker/friend is either listening to Holocaust (whose singer sounds nearly identical to Hetfield, and the music is incredibly similar) or Evile (whose attitude and song structures borrow more from 80's Sepultura, but can be confused for Kill 'Em All's heavier songs).

Weird...

I hadn't seen Mulholland Drive in a couple years, and I forgot that the song "Sixteen Reasons (Why I Love You)" was in it. In the interim, I grew to really love that song, and then when I watched the movie again, I was like "Hey, that's my song!"

It is an awesome song.

It is an awesome song.

Every Little Star is even better, but I find it hard to seperate the songs from their images in the movie. Same thing with In Dreams, the Roy Orbison song from Blue Velvet. One of my favorite songs ever, but more than partially, I must admit, because it reminds me of the incredible scene in the film it accompanies. David Lynch uses pop music to better effect than any other director I can think of.

It is an awesome song.

Every Little Star is even better, but I find it hard to seperate the songs from their images in the movie. Same thing with In Dreams, the Roy Orbison song from Blue Velvet. One of my favorite songs ever, but more than partially, I must admit, because it reminds me of the incredible scene in the film it accompanies. David Lynch uses pop music to better effect than any other director I can think of.

I agree that songs are often enhanced by their use in movies.

Nowhere was this more true for me than in American Psycho. It got me to love songs I didn't particularly care for, such as "Walking On Sunshine", and in the case of "Sussudio" and "Hip To Be Square", two songs I loved already, it's really a thing of beauty.

Ugh. Can somebody please put a bullet through Zack De La Rocha's dome already? For me at least?

Can any of you guys recommend me some Curtis Mayfield and/or The Impressions stuff. I downloaded an Impressions album a couple weeks ago on a whim and really enjoyed it, I also like what little stuff I've heard of Mayfield's solo stuff.

I you really want to get into some Curtis and the Impressions, then try Soul Legacy, it's a 4 disc set. Covers all the essentials and breaks it down by theme. Soul Legacy tracklisting.

The off-the-beat guitar part starting at 2:06 of "Safe European Home"--really it's just the one fantastic sound repeated, again and again with very slight variance for 100 seconds--is one of my favorite things ever.

So my band finally has a song up on our MySpace. Head to http://www.myspace.com/excyde and give "Burning" a listen. Sounds very Mass Metal-ish (duh!), but this was an early song that the drummer and bassist wrote before I joined the band. So give it the proverbial spin and tell me how much you hate it (or, if you're luke-o, how much you love it).

So Alicia Keys has some interesting opinions regarding gangsta rap and Tupac and Biggy.

Yahoo! News Link

Reader's Digest: She think gangsta rap was a ploy to make black folks kill each other and the government set up the Tupac and Biggy murders to prevent the rise of another important black leader.

Vocals, Corey?

I liked it. I was really impressed by the vocals, and a solid riff. No solo made me sad.

Nah, I be rhythm guitar. It's a little harder to hear me since there's two guitarists, but I'm the rougher mix of the two (and, IIRC, the louder in this mix). Once we have "Rival Pain" and "Dead Wrong" up it'll be easier to tell my guitar apart from the other instruments. I actually have a Maiden-like lead in "Rival Pain," and "Dead Wrong" has me carrying the rhythm towards the end as the other guitarist does some lead stuff over the end riffs. But thank you, sir.

So Alicia Keys has some interesting opinions regarding gangsta rap and Tupac and Biggy.

Yahoo! News Link

Reader's Digest: She think gangsta rap was a ploy to make black folks kill each other and the government set up the Tupac and Biggy murders to prevent the rise of another important black leader.

Bullshit theories like that have been around for 12 years, since pac died. there is, however, alot of controversy about both of 2pac's shotings and big's, plus their boy stretch and pacs protege kadafi, who was the only person willing to testify about 2pac's muder. Puffdaddy and suge knight don't play, son.