TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Given that your taste in rap and his seems fairly similar, that surprises me. Although if Since I Left You is the standard, his concoctions are certainly much rougher and more compartmentalized into bite-size pieces.

I think part of my problem with Girl Talk is ideological. A lot of it seems like an effort to re-contextualize mainstream rap and pop music to make it more palatable for people who don't enjoy it on its own terms. I realize that disliking an artist due to the perceived/imagined biases of his audience is totally retarded, but here we are.

EDIT: I will concede that "No Diggity" over is pretty cool. Too bad he doesn't let it ride out for longer than like 20 seconds.

I didn't think I'd be able to stomach an entire albums worth of sampling, but this is great.

Why? When it's done right sample-based song creation can be just as artful/worthwhile/interesting as "traditional" music (cf. The Avalanche's Since I Left You, which is maybe my favorite album ever).

Yeah, I understand that now. Two days ago I didn't.

Check out the band iwrestledabearonce. They're fashioncore to the nth degree, but fuck...the singer is a chick who can growl deeper than most men. Not, like, uber-forced like Angela Gossow, and not just raspy-as-fuck like Wendy O Williams, I mean growl. Plus, she's kinda cute. A petite Asian scenester who can spew phlegm better than most of the well-known death/hardcore vocalists.

I just listened to them the first time a few weeks back and was pleasantly surprised.

They're...odd. They take the (now) overused formula of grind-based riffage, bad 80's fashion, and then melodic breakdowns...but the singer's voice when not growling/screaming is just so...so pretty.

So Suicide Final tour is in 2 weeks...and I'm counting the days. Time's passed slow all week since I realized how close it is (MUNICIPAL WASTE, DARKEST HOUR, AT THE GATES). I read somewhere that Toxic Holocaust is opening, which'll be fucking nice since they're a good black/thrash metal band from Boston, and they've toured with Waste before. Sounds like an interesting combination.

I heard a song by the Fratellis while flipping through the Music CHoice channels yesterday and thought absolutely nothing of it.

What makes The Fratellis worse for me is that the singer described their 2nd album as "the best thing ever recorded" while being 100% serious.

So, this new Weezer Album (red)... is it a joke? Seems like Weezer taking the piss out of themselves. That or they let a bunch of 12 year olds write their songs now.

It's not a terrible album. Pork and Beans is good and Troublemaker is a decent Weezer tune.

Off the topic, but Busta Ryhmes feat Linkin Park - Together We Made It is a fucking terrible song.

Video Here

Slowdive's Souvlaki deserve's more love. Perfect album in just about every way.

So, according to my grandmother's copy of The Mail on Sunday - I myself read The Independent I promise - the following is a list of the 12 songs that David Bowie considers to be the "greatest tracks" of his own career:

"Life on Mars"

"Loving the Alien"

"The Bewlay Brothers"

"Win"

"Hang On To Yourself"

"Fantastic Voyage"

"Lady Grinning Soul"

"Teenage Wildlife"

"Some Are"

"Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing"

"Repetition"

"Time Will Crawl"

There are some good choices on there, but I didn't imagine that out of the three Berlin albums Lodger would be the only one that he would actually select anything from.

I don't know whether news of this ever travelled to TSM or not, but Jay-Z's rendition of "Wonderwall" came about in response to Noel Gallagher complaning about him headlining Glastonbury.

Seeing Radiohead in person three days ago pretty much cemented "Idioteque" as being my favourite song of theirs. It raised my estimation of "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" and "There There" as well.

Hey I think I finally "got" Another Green World. I've had it for like three or four years now and always thought it was pleasant enough or whatever but, man, listening to it right now with crickets chirping outside my window it's all just clicking perfectly and it's like my eyes are WIDE OPEN for the very first time in my life.

From the concert thread, I was going to digress and talk about Diamanda Galas for a minute, but it got too long, so it goes in here.

Re: Diamanda Galas, at her best she basically looks like a witch.

diamanda.jpg

This is appropriate. She's gothic in the classic sense of the word.

She's an absolutely phenomenal singer, and many of her albums are just beyond description, for example The Litanies of Satan which contains a version of the poem and another track called "Wild Women With Steak Knives", which is essentially her screaming her head off. She one uped this by releasing Schrei X, which is an album of her shrieking and screaming with no musical accompaniment. I paid $40 for her out of print albums Divine Punishment/Saint of the Pit, which are recitations of old testament prophecy and stuff about the Antichrist in Latin. Possibly the creepiest album I own.

If you want to check her out, which I recommend, I'd definitely say download The Singer on which she performs blues and gospel classics. Probably her most approachable. If you just listen to one song, I'd suggest her version of "I Put a Spell On You" (that's her on the piano, too). The cover of The Singer is a glamour shot of her, looking as good as she's capable of, but still scary. If you look closely, you'll see "we are all hiv+" tattooed on her knuckles. She's very involved with AIDS research and the like. Her brother has it.

stumm83.jpg

Plague Mass, a concept live album about AIDS, and one of my favorite albums covers ever.

Speaking of, if I occasionally see like, 14 or 15 year old girls with Nirvana shirts (and it seems to always be girls), I sometimes realize that I was 11 when Cobain died. They were infants if that. It's odd that bands I remember being popular are long gone.

It's pretty trendy for high school girls to wear Nirvana t-shirts with their Chuck Taylor's, yeah. Kurt Cobain died something like 3 days before my little brother was born. I guess he was never alive at the same time as Kurt Cobain. Hm. That's sort of weird. I wasn't too old either, granted.

On a similar note:

violent.jpg

She's sorta pretty.

Hancock was an average movie, but I think my favorite bit of it was the use of Ice T's "Colors". That's a great song. I'm actually a pretty big Ice T fan, but I haven't listened to him in a while. Should change that.

Guest Vitamin X

David, I didn't realize you talked about Diamanda about there, but a good friend of mine who's also gay is really into her- I guess you could say that would be his 'diva'. I don't think he's got that out of print album you're talking about, though.

I'm personally really split on how I feel about listening to her though; she's obviously ridiculously talented, but her style of music strikes me as being something of a novelty for me so I like listening to it in small doses. But yeah, she is way fucking creepy.

Hancock was an average movie, but I think my favorite bit of it was the use of Ice T's "Colors". That's a great song. I'm actually a pretty big Ice T fan, but I haven't listened to him in a while. Should change that.

That whole sequence was great. As a whole, they really used music well in that movie.

David, I didn't realize you talked about Diamanda about there, but a good friend of mine who's also gay is really into her- I guess you could say that would be his 'diva'. I don't think he's got that out of print album you're talking about, though.

I'm personally really split on how I feel about listening to her though; she's obviously ridiculously talented, but her style of music strikes me as being something of a novelty for me so I like listening to it in small doses. But yeah, she is way fucking creepy.

Yeah, it's not exactly the easiest thing in the world to listen to, but that album I mentioned, The Singer gets fairly regular spinnage. I've also got an mp3 of her reading Poe's "The Black Cat". It's awesome.

Re: Hancock's music, I agree, the one two punch of "Colors" and the Sanford and Son theme was beautiful.

Guest The Elements of Style

It's not the worst they've done:

Metallica_-_St._Anger.jpg This is, this Limp Bizkit-looking bullshit, and I'm sorry but

Ridethelightning.jpg look at that horrible glowing chrome. That's like hair metal design.

I wonder if it might look better inverted. Metallica calls for dominant black.

I just heard this tune in Drillbit Taylor...."Die, ignorance, die". Who/what, and moreso, where the hell do I know it from? This is driving me nuts.

This song, right?

I haven't seen the movie, but it's in Guitar Hero II. Bullets and Octane- "I Ain't Your Savior".

Guest Vitamin X
'm sorry but

Ridethelightning.jpg look at that horrible glowing chrome. That's like hair metal design.

I wonder if it might look better inverted. Metallica calls for dominant black.

Well, to be fair, that album was made in 1984, so you can't really argue that point. It was the standard metal cover of its day, just check out Master of Puppets' cover as well.

I wore an Iron Maiden shirt yesterday, and no less than 6 people commented on it randomly. It's not like I hadn't worn the shirt before, it's just that people seemed particularly sociable to me about it yesterday. Some street kid was all like, "Dude, 'The Trooper' was the best song they ever wrote." just randomly. That might be true, but fuck, I didn't ask for your opinion just because I'm wearing the band's shirt.

I also don't like that. Not entirely for that reason, but I've stopped wearing shirts that advertise anything, such as bands/movies etc. The one exception is Agoraphobic Nosebleed shirts, because there's a guy who does art for them named Florian Bertmer, and it's some of the coolest art I've ever seen. It transcends being a band shirt.

l_88b778f32427fd4d3d1c178ae68b73df.jpg

Now there's a backpiece tattoo right there.