TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Whatever the technical term is for the thing T-Pain uses to ruin the music industry.

I think its called a vocalizer....check T-Pain on wiki, I think it says it there.

You know, I really like this chick M.I.A.

I don't know enough about her to know whether this is guilty/shameful/prideful. That's comforting, to not even care.

That paper planes song from the Pineapple Express trailer, you know I hate weed, but I won't lie, I'd get high to that shit all day.

Guest Cal Moriarty
M.I.A is awesome even though a plausible argument could be made that her music is basically the aural equivalent of a $50 Che Guevara T-Shirt.

Fascinating. Please elaborate.

Wolfmother split up according to nme.com

"And nothing of value was lost."

RE: M.I.A., that song was like the party theme to hipster white girls in my senior year. I've grown to hate that song, but in a good way.

And I'll have to agree with Chilly's sentiments there. He's spot on.

Wolfmother split up according to nme.com

"And nothing of value was lost."

yeah, besides one of the best rock bands in recent years.

Wolfmother were by no means a poor band, but why would you ever visit a website that's run by the fucking NME? Their journalists all have the writing style of a 10 year old.

"Flaming Telepaths" is the best Blue Oyster Cult Song.

Wolfmother were by no means a poor band, but why would you ever visit a website that's run by the fucking NME? Their journalists all have the writing style of a 10 year old.

I never really read the articles, i just go for the headlines to see whats going on. then i google for some good articles you know?

i agree about then nme thing. they are always up winehouse's ass and the babyshambles as well. it's a bit annoying.

RE: M.I.A., that song was like the party theme to hipster white girls in my senior year. I've grown to hate that song, but in a good way.

And I'll have to agree with Chilly's sentiments there. He's spot on.

See, I never experienced anything like that, I don't even think I'd heard that song until the Pineapple Express trailer, although I knew who she was and had heard "Sunshowers", maybe something else.

But yeah, I like her. She has essentially the same vocal cadence as Lady Sovereign, who I also love, but Lady Sovereign is basically a female Ali G, whereas M.I.A. is... a false model of artistic integrity.

I'm not sure I would have heard of M.I.A. before the Pineapple Express trailer myself if I hadn't worked at a college radio station this past school year. "Paper Planes" was one of the few songs of our required playlist that I could tolerate.

"Straight to Hell" is one of my favorite Clash songs too.

In fact, that's the only bad thing I have to say about Pineapple Express... "Paper Planes" wasn't actually in it.

Guest Cal Moriarty
Wolfmother were by no means a poor band

Yes they were. Worthless shameless derivative bullshit. Jet for the Black Sabbath crowd. Both bands could have never existed, and the continuum of rock music wouldn't have been affected in the least.

"Burnin' for You"

M.I.A is awesome even though a plausible argument could be made that her music is basically the aural equivalent of a $50 Che Guevara T-Shirt.

Yo I can't tell if this post was sarcastic or not so I guess I'll elaborate anyway. M.I.A's music is basically a textbook example of recuperation. It's nominally counter-cultural art that is, in reality, nothing more than a harmless participant in the very system--Western Capitalism--it's supposedly working against. You can't really claim to be trying to tear down the apparatuses of global capitalism when you're releasing records on Interscope and selling your music for commercial usage. It's "revolution" as mass market fashion statement, commoditized and sapped of anything truly rebellious or dangerous. Furthermore,

Ryan Adams is coming to Syracuse but the tickets are $45 (after all the ticketmaster bullshit)...

On the one hand, $45 friggin dollars for Ryan Adams?! But on the other hand, he's released four albums since the last time I've seen him in concert, two of which (Cold Roses, Easy Tiger) are among his best yet.

This is a tough, tough decision.

Ryan Adams is coming to Syracuse but the tickets are $45 (after all the ticketmaster bullshit)...

On the one hand, $45 friggin dollars for Ryan Adams?! But on the other hand, he's released four albums since the last time I've seen him in concert, two of which (Cold Roses, Easy Tiger) are among his best yet.

This is a tough, tough decision.

Completely worth it. You can actually download/stream his shows from earlier this year, because it'll probably be similar to those, with the possibility of some new stuff. He's a lot more laid back than he was years ago, and it's very likely you'll see a 15 minute "Easy Plateau" jam and random stage banter about robots and Diet Coke and Mariah Carey.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Yo I can't tell if this post was sarcastic or not so I guess I'll elaborate anyway. M.I.A's music is basically a textbook example of recuperation. It's nominally counter-cultural art that is, in reality, nothing more than a harmless participant in the very system--Western Capitalism--it's supposedly working against. You can't really claim to be trying to tear down the apparatuses of global capitalism when you're releasing records on Interscope and selling your music for commercial usage. It's "revolution" as mass market fashion statement, commoditized and sapped of anything truly rebellious or dangerous. Furthermore,

I gotcha. Sounds kind of like Radiohead circa Kid A, talking up No Logo while making millions at Parlophone. I've never given much thought to M.I.A.'s position in the counterculture; I just like listening to "Paper Planes" and making thumb-and-pointer guns, is that so wrong?

"Burnin' for You"

I'm with Czech on this one. Due to more than a couple of midnight viewings of The Stoned Age as a teenager, I'm also quite fond of "Don't Fear the Reaper."

I gotcha. Sounds kind of like Radiohead circa Kid A, talking up No Logo while making millions at Parlophone. I've never given much thought to M.I.A.'s position in the counterculture; I just like listening to "Paper Planes" and making thumb-and-pointer guns, is that so wrong?

Czech gets +1 for the Naomi Klein reference.

Guest Cal Moriarty

I respect that book, but I hate its typeface.

Steviekick, you into culture-jamming or something?

Catching up on the last few days: Wolfmother licks my balls, M.I.A.'s great, "Burnin' For You" is my favorite too, and I only kinda like that Hercules and Love Affair album. First track is the best, rest is a little monotonous for my tastes. There.

I respect that book, but I hate its typeface.

Steviekick, you into culture-jamming or something?

To an extent. I appreciate it when its done right. I'm a sucker for marketing/media criticism.

I just like listening to "Paper Planes" and making thumb-and-pointer guns, is that so wrong?

Not at all, which is why my original post started with "M.I.A's awesome even though..." She may be something of a fraud and a tool for capitalist recuperation, but her music is straight bangin. I mean, it's basically impossible to exist in contemporary Western society without to some degree participating in/contributing to the machine of exploitive capitalism, so who really gives a shit.

Also, re Naomi Klein, I haven't read No Logo but The Shock Doctrine is p. cool/enlightening.

I'm glad to see that I'm in good company RE: "Burnin' For You". That's always been my favorite BOC song. The song almost sounds like power pop.

Embarrassingly enough, I think the first time I heard it was in Joe Dirt.