TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Guest WhackingCockDick
I'm not a Dave Matthews Band fan but I'm surprised that no one mentioned LeRoi Moore's death.

Link

"All of us are just really sad and down about it," said Tomas, a longtime fan.

Totally, dude. I'm gonna listen to "Satellite" right now in his memory.

'One'. I don't even like that 'one' very much. How Corey could consider them to be superior to Black Sabbath is honestly beyond me.

Soooooo, upon looking through Pitchfork's list of the best albums of the 1990's, I realise that I have only heard the following:

79. Dr. Dre - The Chronic

71. Dr. Octagon - Octagonecologyst

56. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

54. Blur - Parklife

50. Outkast - Aquemini

43. R.E.M - Automatic for the People

36. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

33. Nas - Illmatic

32. The Notorious B.I.G - Ready to Die

15. Radiohead - The Bends

12. Slint - Spiderland

06. Nirvana - Nevermind

04. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

02. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

01. Radiohead - OK Computer

Granted, I am by no means a 'Pitchfork-type-of-person' but this still conveys that I need to hear more from that decade.

'One'. I don't even like that 'one' very much. How Corey could consider them to be superior to Black Sabbath is honestly beyond me.

Soooooo, upon looking through Pitchfork's list of the best albums of the 1990's, I realise that I have only heard the following:

54. Blur - Parklife

50. Outkast - Aquemini

33. Nas - Illmatic

12. Slint - Spiderland

06. Nirvana - Nevermind

Granted, I am by no means a 'Pitchfork-type-of-person' but this still conveys that I need to hear more from that decade.

I read that list. 100 albums and not a single Faith No More appearance to be found.

54. Blur - Parklife

50. Outkast - Aquemini

33. Nas - Illmatic

12. Slint - Spiderland

06. Nirvana - Nevermind

You need Pavement in your life asap.

EDIT: Wait, you're British and you haven't heard Pulp's Different Class? WTF mate?

54. Blur - Parklife

50. Outkast - Aquemini

33. Nas - Illmatic

12. Slint - Spiderland

06. Nirvana - Nevermind

I read that list. 100 albums and not a single Faith No More appearance to be found.

Then the list is wrong.

I've just got back from Reading Festival. Good weekend but tainted a little bit by loosing my bastard camera. Highlights included:

Metallica

Rage Against The Machine (my band of the weekend)

Tenacious D

Ting Tings

Hadouken!

Future of the Left

I was hoping Be Your Own Pet were going to be good, but they really weren't. Tenacious D were much better than I thought they would be.

Angel Dust should absolutely be on that list.

Listened to Ice Cube's newest album "Raw Footage" yesterday...holy shit is that a great album! Just when you think a guy has gone all family friendly on you, he comes out with an album that reminds you of the good ol Ice cube days.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, I love them. I saw them in LA a few years ago during my druggie days with Six Feet Under opening for them. Decent show.

Angel Dust should've been in the top 3, with King For a Day Fool For a Lifetime and maybe The Real Thing somewhere in the list.

Oh, I love them. I saw them in LA a few years ago during my druggie days with Six Feet Under opening for them. Decent show.

I saw Skinless on that tour, too. I haven't listened to any of their more recent stuff. How do you rate it?

I'd say their albums (Skinless) rank as such (worst to best): Progression Towards Evil, From Sacrifice to Survival, Foreshadowing Our Demise, and the latest Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead. Although each is pretty much head-and-shoulders above most other US death metal acts. Progression is much more grind-y than everything else they've done, whereas Sacrifice is their more "hardcore beatdown"/melodic album. The title track (ESPECIALLY the video, which starts off just mediocre but then becomes an all-out CZW-style brawl) and the instrumental, "A False Sense of Security," are the best parts, though opener "Front Lines of Sanity" isn't too bad. Demise is just nonstop brutality, taking the grind influence of Progression and adding more technical death aspects. Plus, read the lyrics to "Tug of War Intestines," "Pool of Stool," and "Merrie Melody." They're surprisingly funny. And then Trample is relentless. Plodding, destructive...so few brutal bands could pull off a Sabbath cover ("Wicked World," to be precise) so wonderfully.

It's one of their staples, actually. "The Optimist" (from Foreshadowing) starts off with Vince McMahon yelling "life suck, and then you die." They don't do it as often as they used to, but they still do it. Sacrifice has it the least, actually.

Hurm.

^ I think that's a pretty beautiful song, actually.

Mainly what I've been listening to lately is forgotten one hit wonders from the 60s and crusty grindcore.

That "Master Jack" song I first heard at work. I work in a thrift store, and the music there is absolutely phenomenal. Several people have seriously told me they shop there specifically for the music.

Angel Dust should've been in the top 3, with King For a Day Fool For a Lifetime and maybe The Real Thing somewhere in the list.

The Real Thing came out in '89.

Whoever caused that prompt to pop up on this page please take care of it.

Did it? Hm, I thought it came out in '90.

I'm really shocked that Violator did not make it in pitchfork top 100 albums of the 90's.

I'm not for some reason. I am suprised Current 93's Thunder Perfect Mind didn't though. That's an incredible album.

Did it? Hm, I thought it came out in '90.

Live at Brixton, the live album accompanying, The Real Thing came out in '90.

I don't know why, but I hate this Hall & Oates cover of "You've Lost That Lovin Feeling"...it's strange because I don't have a real problem with H&O. I mean, they do have some decent tunes. This song just really irks me, for some reason. I love the Righteous Brothers version. I don't hate it because it's a cover, it just annoys me, the way the music and vocals are arranged.

I hate to say it, but AC/DC is one of those bands that really should have just hung it up years ago...or at least guys like Angus and Brian Johnson should have moved on to other projects that would perhaps change up their guitar/vocal styles. Their stuff is just way too repetitive.

As for Brian Johnson era albums, they hit it big with Back in Black, one of my all-time faves, and then didn't do anything really noteworthy until The Razor's Edge. After that, they should have called it a day.