TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Guest דניא&#15

I just say electronic, sans -a, and try to be more specific.

Ah, MTV News circa 1996. More like "Tabitha Sore-End," right, dudes

Ah, MTV News circa 1996. More like "Tabitha Sore-End," right, dudes

2008%2006%2004%20Obama%20fist%20bump%2001.jpg

That was back when MTV News meant something, before they got that one hipster douche and that other black asshole with one name. Where have you gone, Kurt Loder?

That was back when MTV News meant something, before they got that one hipster douche and that other black asshole with one name. Where have you gone, Kurt Loder?

I think that he's still around. MTV was actually fun up until the TRL era in 1998. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Naw, their programming is shit now.

Actually a lot of MTV's non-music stuff these days is pretty great. All those obv. fake "reality dating" shows (Parental Control, Exposed, Next, etc) are totally hilarious. And that new show where they send girls from My Super Sweet 16 to like the jungles of Africa and shit is awesome.

I think both Kurt Loder and John Norris are still around. Loder mostly writes for MTV.com IIRC but Norris still makes the occasional awkward as hell television appearance.

It was all down hill for me after Gideon Yago, the black dude, and the pudgy bald metalhead who hated working at MTV all joined up around the same time.

Actually a lot of MTV's non-music stuff these days is pretty great. All those obv. fake "reality dating" shows (Parental Control, Exposed, Next, etc) are totally hilarious. And that new show where they send girls from My Super Sweet 16 to like the jungles of Africa and shit is awesome.

Yeah, those are the kinds of shows I was referring to.

I digress, but does anyone remember where the whole "the internets" thing comes from? I remember it clear as day, just wanted to see if anyone else did.

I digress, but does anyone remember where the whole "the internets" thing comes from? I remember it clear as day, just wanted to see if anyone else did.

from Wiki...

"Internets" is a Bushism-turned-catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the Internet or about technology in general, or as having a provincial or folksy attitude toward technology. United States President George W. Bush first used the word publicly during the 2000 election campaign. The term gained cachet as an Internet humor meme following Bush's use of the term in the second 2004 presidential election debate on October 8, 2004.

Sigh are a pretty great band.

Two sports-related "hunh?" 's from new tunes.

One, the new song with Zac de la Rocha has a line that says "Crenshaw 84". Now, I was told about it: My bro and Dad heard it about two weeks ago and mentioned the same line, also confused by it. So when I heard the song being introduced, I pretty well focused on listening to that, so I could shed some light on it, but I'm also at square one. A golfer named Ben Crenshaw won the '84 Masters tournament, which is what initial instinct was when my Dad and bro brought it up. Still, that doesn't seem like it would fit in to a song sung by de la Rocha. Anyone?

Also, the new Offspring song pisses me off. Both times I've heard a DJ say "Kid you're gonna go far", I think that Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar is the next song to be played. (Similarly, I disliked Times Like These by the Foos the first couple times I heard it, because in passing, it sounded like She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult). Anyway, bailing the new Offspring tune out may be the fact that, if I'm hearing correctly, they mention Mario Lemieux.

pt_16447.jpeg

Fuuuckyes! This is a recent purchase, and I bought it based on the cover and band name alone. Look at that! It's pretty good too.

I am really digging these new generation metal bands. The genre has gone through various permeations and all the elements have come in place to where a lot of bands just get it.

I was talking with a friend of mine about a lot of the bands listed there in that shirts link. He said Doomriders were awesome, so they live up to their image.

I need to just sell off half my cds, random stuff that I just picked up over the years, and even out my collection with hella prog and stoner and goregrind and crust and all that shit.

I've really been into Watchtower lately.

Ryan Adams is coming to Syracuse but the tickets are $45 (after all the ticketmaster bullshit)...

On the one hand, $45 friggin dollars for Ryan Adams?! But on the other hand, he's released four albums since the last time I've seen him in concert, two of which (Cold Roses, Easy Tiger) are among his best yet.

This is a tough, tough decision.

I decided to go, but the bad news is that I picked up a girlfriend since this post so $90 later I'll be seeing Ryan Adams and the Cardinals... damn. At least the shows without Oasis have long varied setlists.

Tonight, I made my own capo out of half of a clothes pin, a hair tie, and three rubber bands.

0906082352.jpg

I'm fairly impressed with myself.

Nifty. I still prefer the designs that you can move up and down the neck without removing.

pt_16447.jpeg

Fuuuckyes! This is a recent purchase, and I bought it based on the cover and band name alone. Look at that! It's pretty good too.

I am really digging these new generation metal bands. The genre has gone through various permeations and all the elements have come in place to where a lot of bands just get it.

I was talking with a friend of mine about a lot of the bands listed there in that shirts link. He said Doomriders were awesome, so they live up to their image.

I need to just sell off half my cds, random stuff that I just picked up over the years, and even out my collection with hella prog and stoner and goregrind and crust and all that shit.

Oh hell yeah. Skeletonwitch is pretty nice. IIRC, toured a bit with Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust, too. Agree on the current generation of metal bands: they just seem to get it. Even shyte like Job For A Cowboy, with their Skinless-lite death/grind, is better than a lot of what passed for "metal" about 10 years ago.

Downside, though? It's mostly retreads. The current thrash scene is at its best since the glory days of the Bay Area (Gama Bomb, Bonded By Blood, Evile, Municipal Waste, and Toxic Holocaust stand out the best), and Engorged and Cannabis Corpse are solid old-school death metal acts, but...there's not a whole ton of innovation like what was happening with black and death metal a while back.

Anybody else like roll their eyes and think "Eww Pink" whenever she has a new single but by the end you're kind of like nodding your head along with the song because you just can't help it? This highly embarrassing scenario happens to me seemingly every single.

Yes, Mik. There's just something about her white trashiness that makes her music oddly listenable.

Sad thing, Agent? I'm starting to dig doom a bit more. I used to dig it a lot, but then it all died for me when I started getting more into death. Doom and black, though...those are starting to lure me in.

Love them... not exactly deep music but very fun.

For all the Ryan Adams fans on the board... here's an audio mp3 in EXCELLENT quality from the entire two set show in Boston Sunday. One of the best bootleg mp3 shows quality wise I've heard.

http://www.archive.org/details/ryanadams20...-07.mk41.flac16

5 new songs spanning the two sets. Pretty fucking awesome all around.

Kanye West arrested.

42290670.jpg

Also, is it just me, or does he look kinda like Urkel?

I just got row 11 center for Staind, Papa Roach and Seether in Salisbury. Has anyone seen Papa Roach or Seether live? I've seen Staind (for free) so I know they aren't too bad but I have no clue what I am getting myself into with the others. I only got them cause my girl wanted to see them and while I don't think Roach sucks too badly, I really don't know what they sound like live.

well, the singer from Papa Roach already has a bad voice when technology is aided to clear it up and make it decent enough for an album, I couldn't imagine how bad it sounds without all that magic to help it live.