TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Anyone heard the new Chamillionaire mixtape Mixtape Messiah 4? It's pretty good overall. The best song is called Roll Call. It's him rapping as a whole list of guys like Jim Jones, Young Jeezy,Jay-Z, E-40 and a few others. He acutally sounds like them a bit and the raps sound like something the rappers would put out, pretty good stuff.

R-351924-1101413657.jpg

I ran across this comp purely by accident. I'm pleased, because I remember really liking it, but not what it was called or who was on it.

My first exposure to JG Thirlwell, Cabaret Voltaire, Psychic TV, The The, Coil and Einsturzende Neubauten was from this comp. Pretty influential.

Yeah... so I saw Ryan Adams last night. Pretty damn good.

SETLIST:

1. Cobwebs (new song)

2. Two

3. Come Pick Me Up

4. Magick (new song)

5. Stars Go Blue

6. Fix It (new song - first single off new album)

7. Sun Also Sets

8. Off Broadway

9. Go Easy (new song)

10. La Cienega

11. Freeway to the Canyon (new song - NOT sung by Ryan)

Set Break

12. Crossed Out Name (new song)

13. Blue Hotel

14. Everybody Knows

15. Wonderwall

16. Like Yesterday (new song)

17. Cold Roses

18. This is It (rock style)

19. You Don't See Me Crying (new song - also NOT sung by Ryan)

20. Oh My God Whatever Etc.

21. House is Not for Sale

22. Peaceful Valley

23. I See Monsters

Had to copy and paste the setlist from a Ryan Adams fan site because no way I was remembering the whole thing.

Awesome stuff: La Cienaga Just Smiled was a freakin' awesome surprise, as was the Cardinals version of This is It. I also wasn't expected to hear Blue Hotel, which I also enjoy. They only seemingly play Sun Also Sets half the time too so I'm glad I got to see that. Love that song. Off Broadway and I see Monsters were longer versions.

The shit: Peaceful Valley is a terrible song. I'm sorry. I don't know why they play it all the time. Dude's got 200 songs to choose from and this one always seems to make the cut? Listen, I understand if they want this guy to sing a few songs on the new record, that's fine, but I didn't pay $100 to watch not Ryan Adams sing for 10 minutes. The songs aren't that bad actually. And for me personally, no "Let it Ride" or "Dear John" two of my absolute favorites. Boo.

Out of the new stuff, Cobwebs, Magick and Fix It are all really, really damn good songs. I actually kind of enjoyed all of the other ones as well. I have very high hopes for Cardinology.

These songs are actually written/performed by lead guitarist Neal Casal. They've been setlist staples for awhile and are on his album No Wish to Reminisce which came out a year or two ago.

And yeah, the new songs are outstanding. "Cobwebs" might be one of the best things he's ever written, "Fix It" gives off a great Dead vibe, and "Magick" just fucking rocks.

I'm still insanely jealous, I have to wait another month to see them.

These songs are actually written/performed by lead guitarist Neal Casal. They've been setlist staples for awhile and are on his album No Wish to Reminisce which came out a year or two ago.

And yeah, the new songs are outstanding. "Cobwebs" might be one of the best things he's ever written, "Fix It" gives off a great Dead vibe, and "Magick" just fucking rocks.

I'm still insanely jealous, I have to wait another month to see them.

Oh, man, that's a relief. Like I said, the songs weren't bad, but they weren't what I paid to go and hear. Overall, though, it was worth the money. Great show. Last time I saw Ryan was in 2003 and Pre-Cardinals and he was almost too drunk to perform. This was a major, major difference.

I saw them live once. A girl three rows from me passed out while they were playing. I think they have a live album coming out, though I'm still waiting for a new studio album.

Also, one of their former bands, Thorr's Hammer, weren't too bad. Check out the album Dommedagsnatt if you haven't.

I saw them live once. A girl three rows from me passed out while they were playing. I think they have a live album coming out, though I'm still waiting for a new studio album.

Also, one of their former bands, Thorr's Hammer, weren't too bad. Check out the album Dommedagsnatt if you haven't.

Passed out? I'd put my money on fell asleep.

I guess I just don't "get it". I remember the song that's playing from many many years ago. That looks pretty damned dreadful to sit through.

For whatever its worth, I find the Vampire Weekend song on the Nick and Norah OST to be their best song yet.

I like the whole soundtrack, actually. "How to Say Goodbye" by Paul Tiernan was a night pleasant surprise.

Go listen to Vampire Weekend.

Go listen to Vampire Weekend.

Ugh, talk about one of the most overrated bands out there right now. They bore me to death in every single way imaginable. For some reason every time I hear them I immediately think 'Simon And Garfunkel' only not nearly as good.

^^ needs a few more listens but gut reaction slots below Heartbreaker and Gold and in the same ballpark as Cold Roses and Easy Tiger.

Some really damn good tracks, though. Among the strongest yet.

Oh also: Tonight: Franz Ferdinand got a release date of 1/25 or 1/26 depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on.

Oh man. I feel okay downloading it because I'm getting it via iTunes and the limited edition vinyl.

It's driving me crazy that the official track name is "Sink Ships" instead of "Sinking Ships." What the fuck?

I love that they've finally managed to capture The Cardinals' live feel on a studio album. For months I've been listening to straight up bootlegs because they sound so much better. That'll be changing. "Magick" is INSANE. I can't pick a favorite track.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I wonder if Ryan Adams is still leaving angry messages on DeRogatis's answering machine. What a posturing stroke.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Son Volt's genre − talent + Frank Zappa's prolific nature − talent + Lou Reed's drug-addled ranting − talent = Ryan Adams

Whatever happened to the "What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?" thread?

Ok well, for me anyway....

Type O' Negative - Black No. 1

C'mon, Ryan Adams has written a lot of good songs.

He might not be your cup of tea but you can't just say he has no talent.

Whatever happened to the "What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?" thread?

Ok well, for me anyway....

Type O' Negative - Black No. 1

Today I made a Halloween Mix for my girl to listen to for the next couple of weeks, and that is the second to last song (right before "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus). The last two songs total over twenty minutes, while the majority of the mix is punk and psychobilly horror numbers that are three minutes at most.