TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

I have yet to listen to Panda Bear. Am I missing anything?

Yes. Yes you are.

I just discovered Annuals today after awaking it from its many month slumber in my hard drive. How did I not know about this before? It's fucking brilliant.

I have yet to listen to Panda Bear. Am I missing anything?

I think you'd really like Person Pitch.

Also:

I'll have to start checking out some of the suggestions for him next time I'm out at fye.

FYE still exists? Remarkable!

So Pitchfork gave a really good review today to the band "Love is All" and compared this record (their second) to the second effort of The Clash and The Strokes.

Has anyone heard this band? Is the comparison in scope/quality of the record or in sound? I'm at work so I can't check it out myself at the moment but maybe someone can stop me from wasting my time if the review is totally inaccurate.

I love Love is All, and should be getting a copy of the new album by this weekend. Great first album, and they're fantastic live too. However, I wouldn't compare them to the Clash or Strokes; I think the review was more saying that the arc between their first two albums is similar to the respective arcs of those bands (sound cleaned up a bit, some more experimentation, a little less energy). Having some sense of your taste, I think you ought to check out Nine Times That Same Song, their debut. If you go on Soulseek/SSX, you can probably find it in 2 minutes. If you want to seeqpod a few songs, I'd say that "Busy Doing Nothing," "Spinning and Scratching," and "Trying Too Hard" will give you a pretty good feel for them.

Anyone here enjoy listening to Live back in the day? I just found out they put out a live album earlier this week called "Live at the Paradiso". I haven't listened to these guys in years, but they're still pretty good, IMO.

Anyone here enjoy listening to Live back in the day? I just found out they put out a live album earlier this week called "Live at the Paradiso". I haven't listened to these guys in years, but they're still pretty good, IMO.

If you ask me, Live are one of the greatest musical travesties of the 90's. "Lightning Crashes" is one of the worst songs ever.

If you ask me, Live are one of the greatest musical travesties of the 90's. "Lightning Crashes" is one of the worst songs ever.

No live is good workout music. I have a workout mix with 10 songs it always DOES THE TRICK

1: Live: Dolphins Cry

2: Live: Selling the Drama

3: Pullde of Mud: She fu**ing hates me

4: KAne's theme

5: Triple's current theme

6: Prince: 1999

7: Rage Aganist Mcahines: Bulls

8: Triple's old theme (MY TIME)

9: KAen's theme again

10: The Evolution song (they were a WWE stable back in the day)

No live is good workout music. I have a workout mix with 10 songs it always DOES THE TRICK

1: Live: Dolphins Cry

2: Live: Selling the Drama

3: Pullde of Mud: She fu**ing hates me

4: KAne's theme

5: Triple's current theme

6: Prince: 1999

7: Rage Aganist Mcahines: Bulls

8: Triple's old theme (MY TIME)

9: KAen's theme again

10: The Evolution song (they were a WWE stable back in the day)

Ok, this gimmick is growing stale now.

God, the local rock station would play Live constantly and I hated them so much for it.

"The angel closes her eeeeeeyeeeeeessss." Ugh.

The first time I heard "Dolphins Cry" I seriously thought it was like a novelty joke song or something. I'm still astonished to think that they were being serious with that.

I'm loving Sparks at the moment. Having owned Propaganda for a while and thoroughly enjoying that, I recently acquired Kimono My House. After listening to Kimono My House and revisiting Propaganda I have decided that I want more Sparks in my life as they are wonderful. If there are any Sparks fans round these parts, can you tell me where is the best place to head now. They have such a wealth of material I'm just not sure where to jump in.

I could tell you a little bit, but Plagiarism! is the real expert around these parts. My personal faves are the two you just mentioned. Indiscreet has its moments, as well.

New Franz Ferdinand single on their MySpace.

I don't love it. First single wise it's not even in the same ballpark as "Take Me Out" and "Do You Want To".

Might be a "needs to grow" track although it seems with them it's a immediate strike of awesome when it works.

Also, has anyone heard of State of Shock? They are apparently a canadian rock band. I'm trying to find something to look forward to tomorrow night at the Seether/Staind/Papa Roach show and it's becoming a short list. Other than going with my girl and her ultra fun girl friend, I'm running out of things.

I need to know if these guys (and decent looking lady) suck as well or there is some goodness there.

Might be a "needs to grow" track although it seems with them it's a immediate strike of awesome when it works.

Also, has anyone heard of State of Shock?

For a second, I was hoping you were talking about the Mick Jagger/Jacksons collaboration. Though come to think of it, that one's not too good either.

Generally speaking, if every band you've heard of on a bill is crappy, the band you haven't heard of will be crappy too.

Yeah, I guess I was praying someone has seem them with a positive thing to say. Like they are good but trying to develop a following in the states.

However after seeing they also toured with Puddle of Mudd and Nickelback, I now know I am beyond screwed.

I've been listening to a lot of Raymond Watts aka. PIG lately. SINSation and The Swinging/Red, Raw, and Sore are awesome.

Guest Czecherbear
I'm trying to find something to look forward to tomorrow night at the Seether/Staind/Papa Roach show and it's becoming a short list.

Didn't you and Marvin go to this show already? Like in August? Or does this mean two Chesapeake-area posters have attended two Staind/Papa Roach twinbills on separate occasions?

Guest Smues
I'm trying to find something to look forward to tomorrow night at the Seether/Staind/Papa Roach show and it's becoming a short list.

I would be looking forward to the show ending.

Didn't you and Marvin go to this show already? Like in August? Or does this mean two Chesapeake-area posters have attended two Staind/Papa Roach twinbills on separate occasions?

Actually, Marvin attended a Three Doors Down/Staind twinbill. Why I remember this kind of crap is beyond me...

Yeah, Staind was in Delaware in July at the State Fair with 3 Doors Down. I did not attend because well, I had more important things to pay for and my girl wasn't going to be in town anyway. So that concert was a wash for me. I attended the concert last night in Salisbury (Marv's backyard I do believe, or VERY close to it) which was Staind/Seether/Papa Roach/State of Shock.

Recap cause it doesn't warrant a thread in the LEAST:

State of Shock: Generic but the guy sorta can sing. It wasn't bad, bout what you'd expect from an opening act. Funny hearing a band from Canada calling America the greatest country on Earth. Way to be all country-fied and show zero pride guys.

Papa Roach: Surprisingly good. Yeah, his voice sucks even worse live as it cuts out but the guy ran all over the arena and at least showed a lot of effort. I can't fault him for that and the band was actually pretty damn decent. Got my girl a Papa Roach guitar pick so she was thrilled. Her friend plus her were apparently pissed that I got to high five him. Which is funny since I was just leaning against the railing with my hand just there and he comes by and high fives it. Why they were jealous, I have no clue. They have a song called Hollywood Whore---omg liek sooo edgy lol rofl ftw...god damn is Paris Hilton even REMOTELY relevant anymore?

Seether: Jesus Christ, they are the most BORING and annoying band I have EVER seen live. No energy, annoying air raid sirens and other loud obnoxious noises between songs (some even going DURING the fucking songs!) and just boring. Got a guitar pick cause it landed on my shoe and no one else picked it up. No one. Gave it to her friend, got a nice little sandwich hug so I guess some good came out of their shitty set. Stupid quote of the night: "People say he's the new Kurt Cobain cause of how he sings"

I didn't like Kurt in the least but I'd like to meet these people and have them explain what they are seeing and hearing I didn't.

Staind: Very good. The guy can actually sing when he wants, lots of energy and overall not a bad closure. Granted a polka band led by a brain dead German shepherd would have been an improvement after Seether but what can you do? Energy, good singing, good sounds, so I'll say they delivered for what they were out to do. Came out to Johnny Cash, gotta give em a chest thump for that.

Overall, not the incredible worst show in the world. Took 5 hours though, which meant my legs hurt like hell but it was alright. After show was more fun. The big funny came when the guys from the radio station said they would have a HUGE announcement today about the next rock concert. They really played it up like it was going to blow our minds. Then today they announce....Candlebox. Talk about not living up to the hype. They found a band to be less excited about than this line-up, way to go 93.5

Guest Czecherbear
Got my girl a Papa Roach guitar pick so she was thrilled.

I can only dream of having such low-maintenance people in my life. I have to work harder to earn the respect of my cat.

god damn is Paris Hilton even REMOTELY relevant anymore?

She has a new show where she finds a BFF.

Staind: Very good

False

The big funny came when the guys from the radio station said they would have a HUGE announcement today about the next rock concert. They really played it up like it was going to blow our minds. Then today they announce....Candlebox.

Given your location they're either a small-market station or a rimshot station in a large market (Philly? Baltimore?) so they're doing the best they can.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

For whatever reason, I've been listening to Atom Heart Mother an awful lot. Even been picking out the guitar lines in the "Funky Dung" part of the title track.