TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

True story: Morrissey is coming back to Kansas City on the two year anniversary of the murder of my roommate's mother. The roommate with the "Viva Moz" tattoo on his wrist.

Besides the fact that a grown man will be openly sobbing all over me, I'm looking forward to seeing him again.

Yeah, but then Morrissey might have been killed, which would have been a bigger loss to the world at large. I'm glad he was able to be so selfless as to sacrifice his own mother so that Moz could live.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news...-top-for-warner

01 Flaming Lips [ft. Stardeath and White Dwarfs]: "Borderline" (Madonna cover)

02 Black Keys: "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles" (Captain Beefheart cover)

03 Michelle Branch: "A Case of You" (Joni Mitchell cover)

04 Against Me!: "Here Comes a Regular" (Replacements cover)

05 Missy Higgins: "More Than This" (Roxy Music cover)

06 James Otto: "Into the Mystic" (Van Morrison cover)

07 Adam Sandler: "Like a Hurricane" (Neil Young cover)

08 Taking Back Sunday: "You Wreck Me" (Tom Petty cover)

09 Mastodon [ft. Billy Gibbons]: "Just Got Paid (ZZ Top cover)

10 The Used: "Burning Down the House" (Talking Heads cover)

11 Disturbed: "Midlife Crisis" (Faith No More cover)

That there exists a compilation featuring Against Me! covering the Replacements and the Used cover Talking Heads and neither being the most horrifying thing in the collection.

Doesn't he release 'comedy' albums periodically? The combination of awful genre and awful comedian probably means they're not very good.

I heard a Robyn Hitchcock cover of "More Than This" recently. A very pretty song, and it translated to an acoustic version extremely well. Someone could have a huge hit covering that song today. T-Pain, maybe?

You could make that argument about any Blur album. They had that whole 90s syndrome, where the ability to fit 80 minutes of music on one disc became a justification for doing so. For me, The Great Escape is really their only album where they approached consistency. I agree with Byron on the two songs he mentioned, but then you've also got "Country House," "Best Days," "Charmless Man," and "The Universal." I've got a lot of weird sentimental stuff tied up with this album, though, so it's possible that I'm not to be trusted.

I'm not a big fan of "Country House" or "Charmless Man." Neither is anywhere near as clever or biting as Albarn probably thought they were. The former esp. is a little disingenuous, since by '97 Damon could probably afford a pretty nice country estate of his own. I do quite like "The Universal."

Can anyone here get me into Cat Power?

What have you heard of her stuff? I enjoy most of it, especially the minimalism of it, but I like most anything with a female vocalist. Pick up the album "the Greatest", I think if you like that you'll like most of her stuff.

Got Gene: The Collection. Just dire. I'm going to gob all over this and punt it over a rainbow. Certainly makes you appreciate Moz more, witnessing what happens when others try to do it. I know the comparison's obvious, but you're not missing a thing by instantly dismissing these twats.

Picked up Brighten The Corners as well, think I prefer Wowee Zowee currently but that may yet change.

Well, I watched the whole thing. I wish that I hadn't. Part of me wonders if that's a joke, while another part wonders if that was Steve Nash on the keytar.

A little further investigation reveals that it isn't a joke, but is the sort of unrepentantly loathsome product that can only come from L.A.

Plastic Ono Band is more cathartic, which probably makes it less hopeless and sad ultimately. As for which one is the better album? Hard to say. Nebraska is a stronger collection of songs, but very few albums provide as intense an emotional experience as POB.

True story: Morrissey is coming back to Kansas City on the two year anniversary of the murder of my roommate's mother. The roommate with the "Viva Moz" tattoo on his wrist.

Besides the fact that a grown man will be openly sobbing all over me, I'm looking forward to seeing him again.

A warning - one of the best songs on the new album is the thunderous 'Mama lay softly on the riverbed'. So enjoy that one.

A warning - one of the best songs on the new album is the thunderous 'Mama lay softly on the riverbed'. So enjoy that one.

Great song. I think he's gonna lose it the most to National Front Disco, though.

Yeah, I usually do.

Listening to TVOTR do 'Heroes'. Decent fun. Certainly helps me blot out the criminal version that Kasabian (I think) churned out for the Euro 2008 coverage. Dear God.