TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Amy Lee

From Blabbermouth.net:

EVANESCENCE frontwoman Amy Lee recently spoke to Kerrang! magazine about her band's massive success and the possibility of a solo career at some point down the line. Several excerpts from the interview follow:

Kerrang!: Have you become cynical about your peers?

Amy Lee: "No way, but theres just so many new bands out there and I'm not motivated to see a single damn one, and a lot of the bands worth listening to are old and tired now. VELVET REVOLVER...I haven't seen them play live yet but that album really bores me! Maybe there's one song that's cool, but to me it's just not worth building a supergroup around."

Kerrang!: They've got Slash in it.

Amy Lee: "Yeah, but great celebrities don't make a great band. I don't hate them, but the music just isn't that great."

Kerrang!: Has the industry changed?

Amy Lee: "Definitely. Theres been a lull in the rock industry and the labels are pouring all their money in to rap and hip-hop. At the American VMA's [MTV Video Music Awards] we felt really disrespected and looked over and ignored. You invite us to an award show because youve nominated us and you don't even want to interview me because you're too busy with Beyonce and Usher? It's like, 'Why did I go to the trouble?' We were 20 rows in the back!"

Kerrang!: Is that just a sign of the times?

Amy Lee: "Maybe, but it'll come back around. Every kind of music always has its day, and right now it's rap and hip-hop and that's great. But that's just not what I'm into and obviously it's not my band's scene. I'm just glad the new album hasn't come out this year."

Kerrang!: How is it writing without EVANESCENCE's co-founder [ben Moody]?

Amy Lee: "I definitely feel like I have something to prove, so there's pressure. Thats okay, though, because I know the truth: that it isn't the case that Ben was the brains behind the operation who let me be the singer. Some people think that and it bothers me, but there's nothing I can say to change people's minds so I'll let the album do that."

Kerrang!: Are your current bandmates equally expendable?

Amy Lee: "It's the opposite. The people in the band came in after the majority of the work on the first album was done, but when Ben left, we had a meeting and we all agreed they should be a part of it — not just session players. That's made it really exciting, because this is a real opportunity for them to make it their own. You love your band so much more when it's your music."

First off, Velvet Revolver didn't make a great album, but either did Evanescence in my opinion. The difference being, STP and GNR have made great albums and songs that have lasted over time while Amy Lee and her hired studio musicians have yet to prove themselves. Plus, VR has more talent in that band then Evanescence ever will.

Second, Slash is far from being just some "celebrity."

Third, why is anyone asking Amy Lee how the industry has changed since she's only been around a few years at best?

I don't know why I quoted your post. Sorry.

I would like to believe he and Alice in Chains Chick engaged in some sort of murder-suicide pact. Or he accidentally killed her, similar to Lennie and Curley's wife in Of Mice and Men, and he went out in a hail of police gunfire afterward.

I'd do her.

B-)

I would too.

That makes three of us.

Anyone see any of the new "Metal Hammer" interview with Phil Anselmo? Now, Phil was/is a good frontman, but he compares himself to Ozzie and Freddie Mercury, saying that he's one in a million and more self-fellating.

Guest Vitamin X
First off, Velvet Revolver didn't make a great album, but either did Evanescence in my opinion. The difference being, STP and GNR have made great albums and songs that have lasted over time while Amy Lee and her hired studio musicians have yet to prove themselves. Plus, VR has more talent in that band then Evanescence ever will.

Third, why is anyone asking Amy Lee how the industry has changed since she's only been around a few years at best?

I agree with your first point, but there's also a difference in that we've been able to see STP and GNR mature through the years and a certain nostalgia factor that instantly makes those older albums better, for the sake of them being around for so long. While I don't think the hired studio musicians are great by any stretch of the imagination, they're not terrible. Simply mediocre. Amy Lee makes that band, and she can choose to end all their careers simply by leaving it.

Second point- What is he then? A guitarist? We knew that. He's not some sort of deity (Iommi takes offense to that). But he's certainly a celebrity in the realm of music.

Third point- Agreed. But then again, as already stated in this thread, this interview is shit. The Blender interview of Amy Lee is MUCH better, which was done shortly after Ben Moody quit the band-->

http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?id=705

While I'm glad that she called out MTV for their preference of urban music (and white pop, to be fair), her music isn't any better than the rest of the shit on that network

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Obviously, where do most people live? In the cities and suburbs. Hence "urban music" and "white pop."

This is true. I don't think that any other "name" musician has cameoed on Trading Spaces...

Or jammed with Space Ghost.

Obviously, where do most people live? In the cities and suburbs. Hence "urban music" and "white pop."

There's more to the American society than 15 year old teeny boppers

That's one of the things I miss about MTV. It used to have a little something for everyone. The metalheads, the pop kids, the dance folk and the rap lovers all got their time slots.

One of my friends put it best when he said "The music used to control MTV, now MTV controls the music"

remember when they would do blocks...rock block, pop block, rap block, etc. it'd be like 15 minutes of videos from only that certain genre? they should do that again rather than have hour long shows devoted to ONE thing...

remember when they would do blocks

I do, and I remember liking it, except when they'd find some way to show "Rush Rush" every hour.

I believe it was for most of early-mid '91 that they did that, right up until you-know-who ("smells like demographic shift") changed everything about MTV

Guest Vitamin X
While I'm glad that she called out MTV for their preference of urban music (and white pop, to be fair), her music isn't any better than the rest of the shit on that network

I beg to differ, but to each their own..

that recent song she sings on, don't know the name, the one she duets with the guy on, "Lonely" is it? THAT song grates on my nerves because of her...

That would be "Broken" by Seether (she's dating the signer of that band).

Guest The Shadow Behind You
Evanescence is such a tease. Occassionally they show signs of rocking, but they just never do it. It must be the female influence!

Then you need to go seek Lacuna Coil. Christina Scabbia has NO problems rocking and has voice that puts Amy Lee to shame.

Guest Loss

I was quite high on Evanescence when I first heard them. They started in my area, and the original demos and Origin album showed a lot of promise. Since getting the deal with Wind-Up, I've seen a decline in quality. Too many of her lyrics are about being "lost" and "haunted" and "in the dark". It gets old after a while, and it seems like kind of a goth poser act.

That said, the live CD was just released, and the best thing on it was a cover of Korn's "Thoughtless". To this day, I think the best thing she ever did was a cover of Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box" during a radio interview. I think that pretty much shows that the problem with Evanescence isn't Amy Lee's vocal talent, but rather her cliched songwriting style and the "too polished" sonic sound.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Lacuna Coil was good when I saw them; well as good as you can be a 10 am on a already hot July day.

I love Amy's Heart Shaped Box cover. She can sing, there's no denying this. I'd buy a solo album of her's if she'd learn to write better lyrics and music.