TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Best ignored album(s) of the year

You know, every year, albums come out that are great, but don't get a whole lot of attention, or even good reviewes from critics. So, with that in mind, what are the best albums that didn't get the attention they deserved, or at leat in your opinion?

Local H: Whatever Happened To P.J. Soles?

Megadeth: The System Has Failed

Iced Earth: The Glorious Burden

Thats all I can think of right now.

Local H: Whatever Happened To P.J. Soles?

Thei next album should be called Local H: Whatever happened to Local H.

I have Ham Fisted, As Good as Dead, and Pack up the Cats. As Good as Dead still gets regular play from me...but I haven't heard anything about them in forever.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Thornley is the bottom of barrel Canadian content junk. If we didn't have regulations that a certain % of music on our radio needed to be canadian, those fuck ups would be pumping my gas.

Thornley is the bottom of barrel Canadian content junk. If we didn't have regulations that a certain % of music on our radio needed to be canadian, those fuck ups would be pumping my gas.

Ian Thornley comes off to me as a Chris Cornell impersonator.

Thornley is the bottom of barrel Canadian content junk.  If we didn't have regulations that a certain % of music on our radio needed to be canadian, those fuck ups would be pumping my gas.

Ian Thornley comes off to me as a Chris Cornell impersonator.

Exactly, the adult contemporary version of Chris Cornell.

And Chris Cornell was pretty damn horid when he was a rockster with Soundgarden. I did like Black Hole Son as a kid, though.

I wouldn't say horrid, but tolerable with other people around.

Grunge music is bad.

Bleeding Through's This Is Love, This Is Murderous

I've heard a few tracks off of it, and the energy in the songs is THERE. The vocalist has a very Phil Anselmo-ish voice, too, when he actually sings, which is a positive because Phil's best vocals are when he actually SINGS and doesn't try screaming or growling or going all 80's high-pitch. Metal-influenced hardcore with a tinge of ambience brought on by keyboards.

What's sad is that the band DOES get attention, but not because of themselves. They get attention because Davey Havoc of AFI says they're his favorite band, so all the little emo fucks listen to them to be cool.

No, just over-exposed and over-saturated, but there were some bands from the grunge era that is decent.

Nirvana is tremendous.

My Picks

Headset "Space Settings" Jimmy Tamborello(Postal Service) and Allen Avanessian(Plug Research) do a Hip Hop album. They don't rap, but the guest MC's do. Oh, and the end result is pretty satisfying.

Coil "Black Antlers" A CD-R limited release, but possibly the last piece of original Coil material we're going to get, sadly.

Ming and FS "Back to One" Great stuff from the Turntabalist duo

SUNN0))) "White 2" An improvement over the dissapointing "White 1".

Jack Dangers "Loudness Clarifies/Electronic Music from Tapelab" Great 2 disc set. Disc 1 is a more dance orinated, while disc 2 features some great musique concrete experiments.

The Orb "Bicycles and Tricycles" Ok, so it's not "UFOrb", "Orbs Adventures into the Ultraworld", or even "Orblivian", but it's an major improvement over "Cydonia"

Space Machine, "3" Suprisingly not so noisy psychedelic syth side project from Japanese Noise god Maso Yamazaki (Masonna)

This thread was created solely for metalheads, and skid rock album of the year. I can see it now; I'll leave.

This thread was created solely for metalheads, and skid rock album of the year. I can see it now; I'll leave.

Well, I started the thread, and I'm not a metal head. I know, I included SUNN0))),

but I have a thing for stoner metal, and it's still a good album.

This thread was created solely for metalheads, and skid rock album of the year.  I can see it now; I'll leave.

Well, I started the thread, and I'm not a metal head. I know, I included SUNN0))),

but I have a thing for stoner metal, and it's still a good album.

oxymoron.

don't fall into one of these Boston punk is different than skate punk things. you are a metal head if you like stoner metal. metal is metal, biznitch.

Sunn O))) isn't stoner metal.

Good point. I don't even think they consider themselves a metal band

oxymoron.

don't fall into one of these Boston punk is different than skate punk things. you are a metal head if you like stoner metal. metal is metal, biznitch.

Oh, well excuse me. Just because I'm into Stoner Metal does not make me a metalhead. I just like what I like.

I don't know Sunn O)))

Whats the difference betwene metal and stoner metal; educate me

Banky's trying to be a hipster, guys. He knows the words, but none of the music.

I've got the haircut, the music might as well coincide with it.

I don't think it's a particularly great album, but the Twilight Singers She Loves You is a very good collection of the sort of covers that Greg Dulli does so well. Worth a download or $10 buy for anyone who's an Afghan Whigs or Twilight Singers fan.

I don't know Sunn O)))

Whats the difference betwene metal and stoner metal; educate me

Well, Stoner Metal, while loud, and with screeching or growling vocalists, is usually very slow. I'm talking molasses rolling down a hill slow. I like that slowness, it adds a great atmosphere.