TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Santa

Don't let the kids read.

Don't know exactly. Just as I got older.

When I approached my mom. She denied it. But by that time, I not only didn't believe, I had to tell everyone reguardless. As the years have gone by, you've learned it's for the kids.

When I was 9 or 10, I was walking into my parents room. Their closet was open and I saw some wraping paper that wasn't under tree. So I took a piece of the paper so I could bring with me Long Island, where we celebrated X-Mas.

On X-Mas morning, when "Santa came," it sure enough was the same wraping paper.

I've no clue of the exact moment, whenever i found out it clearly wasn't a big deal to me. As long as the presents kept coming the life status of an imaginary fat man was inconsequential.

Guest Failed Mascot

I was 4 years old. My parents obviously didn't want me having any sense of faith since they didn't take me to church and they told me there was no Santa.

They told me a few years ago my response was "I can't believe you lied to me!".

Guest Failed Mascot
I never believed in the first place. I was an early skeptic.

Everybody knows Santa doesn't go to the homes of you drug lording spaniards anyways.

Around 9 or 10, although I may have even tried to convince myself till later, despite what the other kids would say.

I also hate those kids that go around telling other kids that he's not real. I can understand famalies having their own beliefs regarding when/if to break it to their child, but that's a personal decision that should stay within the household. Santa embodies the innocence of childhood for many, and to have that taken away at an early age seems wrong. One of the kids my mom babysits has gone around telling the other kids that he's not real, upsetting many of the other parents in the process.

my father, being the hardcore bible thumping christian that he is never even began the Santa/Easter bunny thing for me and my siblings...he opted to teach us the "true" meaning of said holidays instead...

I sure took wrestling not being real pretty hard though...that was around 9 or 10 i believe...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I vaguely remember my parents finally denying his existence around my fifth christmas after I probably asked 12,000 questions about how santa accomplished his feat in one night.

Guest Dr. Wrestlingphysics

I was quite young, perhaps 5, as my sister who is 2 years older had found out from school and told me.

My parents never kept up much of a pretence anyway, asking me what i wanted from them and seeing them buy things for other people.

It was half-assed covered by saying that they sent them to santa and then he delivered them.

It didn't make sense then, and it was a pretty poor effort on their part!

I believed in Santa until about fourth grade so I figured out he was fake when I was...11? Somebody actually was talking about how Santa was fake and I was like "No is he isn't!" then I thought about the logics and realized he was fake.

Thirteen. Seriously; my family was having dinner at a Chinese restaurant, and my mom blurts it out. And, being thirteen, I had to pretend like I already knew, but the whole time, I'm trying to hold back tears. It was really pathetic.

I think I was 11 or 12. I'm pretty sure it would have been earlier, but my sister is 7 years younger than me, and they didn;t want me to ruin it for her.

Oh I think I was about 10. When I found out he wasn't real my dad tried a lame cover of saying "Santa is a spirit! He comes to me in my dreams and tells me what to buy you!" and I was like "I'm 10 asswipe! Don't insult me!"

I think I knew hew was fake when I was like 9 and asked for a Super Nintendo and my dad said "I don't think Santa can afford a Super Nintendo this year!"

I found out wrestling was fake around that time too but I lived in denial over that for a couple of years.

I don't remember when I found out that Santa wasn't real, but when you're young, you don't really have any reason to believe that he isn't until you start to hear people at school say that there's no Santa. I mean, when I was three, there was no reason to think that my parents would lie to me.

That said, I can't understand why parents would lie to their kids about something so unimportant.

Because they believe in the "magic of childhood" which is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen.

There are elements of childhood which are given the romantic treatment in hindsight, but the whole Santa Claus thing comes from people too stupid to understand where this "magic" was coming from.

Expanding on the Santa discussion.

My Aunt and Uncle have a Christmas Eve party every year, and my Grandpa used to pay a guy to show up has Santa. At first, I thought it was actually him..despite seeing my Grandpa paying him, and Santa driving a beat up old yellow olds.

Well, has I got older you figured it out. You didn't really care. For 20 minutes, use your imagination the guy was Santa. Than one foggy Christmas Eve. Santa pretty much lost it. Forgetting he's playing Santa..the jolly old elf. He gets all depressed about his best friend, in the whole world dying. Geez, buddy. You're the real life of the party. After that year the tradition discontinued.

Prolly 6 or 7. I just walked up to my mom, and said "tell me the truth, is Santa real?" She laughed and said no, so I just went "okay...so where do you hide the presents?"