TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
teke184

LSU football coaching vacancy filled

LSU has tendered an offer to current Oklahoma State coach Les Miles, who has accepted it.

While not the Bobby Petrino or Tommy Tuberville that some people had been expecting to take the position, Miles' past experience at Oklahoma State reminds me of Nick Saban while he was still at Michigan State.

Miles has taken a program that was an afterthought in the Big 8 and transformed it into a perennial contender in the Big 12 South. Saban had taken Michigan State from years of mediocrity into being a bowl team annually.

Oklahoma State was the definite #2 program in Oklahoma, as the U. of Oklahoma has recently won the national title. Michigan State was the #2 program in Michigan behind the U. of Michigan, which has won the national title in 1997, halfway through Saban's tenure at Michigan State.

Both were at heavy recruiting disadvantages within their home states yet made their teams into contenders anyway.

Miles should be able to take LSU's current talent and be competitive in the SEC. Considering the scheduling this year (Arizona State, Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee at home), I don't see why he can't get LSU back into the SEC title game or do even better.

I'll just hope that his offensive and defensive philosophies mesh well with what Saban was already using, as adjusting to a new system could end up hurting the excellent defense and talented offense if it doesn't take right away.