TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Ashlee Simpson......

Ok, first of all, I want someone in the recording industry with some clout to answer to exactly why this girl still gets a paying gig after showing she is a fraud. Secondly, if you just witnessed her "singing peformance" at halftime of the Bowl game, I guess we all know now why they had her geared up to lip sync on SNL. She is fucking terrible. I am sure the record company is not going to give up on her anytime soon because of how much money they wasted promoting her talentless hack ass, but why the hell are networks and sports games giving her a forum to perform for? My only guess is that most of the media outlets are owned by the same group of bastards.

Well I enjoyed the boos too, but what I am saying is that I mean that performance was so awful as far as the horrible timing between her backup taped vocals and her attempts to sing, that it almost seems like it was done on purpose and it is being used as some sort of gimmick.

Why do they get these pop acts to perform during football events? Wouldn't it make much more sense to get someone like Metallica to perform? The majority of football fans are males, who aren't exactly Ashlee Simpson's target market.

My only guess is that most of the media outlets are owned by the same group of bastards.

Well, yes they are, but FWIW, I haven't heard as much Ashlee on the radio here in Houston (where the stations take the phrase "high rotation" to a whole new level).

But the thing you forget that Jessica Simpson is still a huge draw, and has the same manager as Ashlee (daddy). Joe Simpson is probably smart enough to attach riders to big sis' contracts that gives Ashlee paying gigs.

Well I enjoyed the boos too, but what I am saying is that I mean that performance was so awful as far as the horrible timing between her backup taped vocals and her attempts to sing, that it almost seems like it was done on purpose and it is being used as some sort of gimmick.

That's about the only thing she can do now - use it as a gimmick.

Speaking of which, I saw an article where the drummer "owned up" to screwing up, even though there really isn't much evidence in the video that he even touched anything besides his drum kit. Daddy Simpson needs to face it - Jessica got all of the talent and looks in the family...

Why do they get these pop acts to perform during football events? Wouldn't it make much more sense to get someone like Metallica to perform? The majority of football fans are males, who aren't exactly Ashlee Simpson's target market.

Because males are going to be watching a bowl game regardless of who's singing at half-time. They need an act that will bring in non-traditional viewers, and someone that's an Ashlee Simpson fan is most likely not a normal bowl watcher.

What's an "Ashlee Simpson fan"?

*waves*

Personally, I didn't see the performance because I was doing other stuff during the game and didn't realize that she'd be performing. I can't comment on that.

As far as her normal live shows go, though, I've heard at least 5 and she always sounds very good (that is, if you consider her a good singer in the first place). She sounds just as good as she does on the album. And no lip-sync jokes. I've heard the album enough to be able tot ell that she wasn't lip-syncing on the non-SNL shows.

Really though, like a previous poster stated, I think that she was a horrible choice for halftime entertainment. Most college football fans do not like her type of music at all. I'm a rare exception. They were practically asking the crowd to shit all over the performance. But then again, it's not like the NFL has done much better for their Super Bowl halftime show lately.

By the way, what song did she perform? I'm guessing it was either "Autobiography" or "Lala". Probably "Lala" since that's the latest single and its sexually suggestive lyrics, along with Ashlee's penchant for shaking her ass, would satisfy at least some of the aforementioned male dominated crowd.

As far as her normal live shows go, though, I've heard at least 5 and she always sounds very good (that is, if you consider her a good singer in the first place). She sounds just as good as she does on the album. And no lip-sync jokes. I've heard the album enough to be able tot ell that she wasn't lip-syncing on the non-SNL shows.

Good lip-sync artists (Britney Spears and Janet Jackson are probably the best at this) will often produce "custom" tracks for performances, such that it actually seem like a "live" performance. I will agree with you that she has performed "for real" before, and frankly, it's been brutal.

But then again, it's not like the NFL has done much better for their Super Bowl halftime show lately.

It's been uphill since Michael Jackson performed, but it's been dropping since U2, I think.

I was flipping through channels and just saw Ashlee performing "Shadow" on Regis a few minutes ago. Did anyone else catch this? I thought she sounded good and I was curious as to what the opinion might be of her performance on that show compared to last night coming from someone who saw both.

She also sold 3 million copies of her CD, which isn't that bad.

Plus her TV show does well, so she's not going anywhere.

Guest sek69

My girlfriend has her CD, and it's actually not too bad.

Ashlee's problem is that her voice isn't very strong and she needs either backup singers or a backing tape to help her when she sings live and since the SNL fiasco her daddy has a hard on to prove she can sing so she gets thrown out in a football stadium (which has horrible acoustics for singing) with no backing whatsoever and she ends up making an ass of herself in front of 70,000 people.

If they don't stop trying to prove she can sing, I'm totally expecting to find out she ate a shotgun one day. How long can you stand getting made into a laughingstock while your dad drools over your sister's funbags?

On the radio today they were talking about how Ashlee Simpson basically got famous because of her MTV show, and they also said MTV didn't even want to give her a show but her manager(her Dad) who also happens to be Jessica's manager said that unless Ashlee was given a show, he would stop negotiating Newlyweds for a 2nd season, so MTV caved.

Also, when people ask why Ashlee keeps getting all these public forums for her talentless-hack-ass, the answer is simple. Whoever owns her recording studio, probably owns ABC or NBC or both or holds a lot of ties to either or both. With that being said, when a recording studio dumps over 20 million into promoting an artist, I don't think they will be too happy to sit back while that money goes down the drain as their "star" bombs horribly. As long as the same companies own music/tv/movies/radio etc....we will continue to see this bullshit. Ashlee Simpson is one of many, she just happens to be the first one that fucked up on a grand stage.

Well, if you saw all of the performances last night, it wasn't just her..something just, wasn't right, last night. As I've seen said by others, they had the backup tracks too loud, or the mics not loud enough or something, because the same thing was going on with Kelly Clarkson, where the mix of her, and the backup track just sounded terrible. As well as umm..that other guy.

And with Ashlee, with that performance, and from what I've seen of her last few live ones since the SNL screw up, she seemingly sings off key, well, not off key (ok, sort of) but off track, with the backup vocals I guess to now 'prove' she's singing. Although, last night it just seemed she started cracking a minute into the song, and said fuck it, and just started screaming.

Also, when people ask why Ashlee keeps getting all these public forums for her talentless-hack-ass, the answer is simple. Whoever owns her recording studio, probably owns ABC or NBC or both or holds a lot of ties to either or both.

I'm pretty sure she's on Geffen records. Remember when they were a rock label?

Any particular reason you are typing in eye-bleeding purple, Matt?

I'm calling gimmick infringement.

Matt's the male Yuna Firerose around here.

I'm calling gimmick infringement.

Wow, that is just mean Andrew.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I did enjoy Pardon The Interuption discussing this. Wilbon saying "Well doesn't she just sound like all these other punk rockers anyways?" made my day.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Its unfortunate when anyone's feelings get hurt in such a severe way liek that, but she shoulda seen it coming with ehr atrocious reality show and being a gigantic daddy's girl. the simpson parents should be shot.

Eh... no reason other than the fact that I like the color purple and wanted tot ry something different. Yes, I did steal the colored text gimmick from Slim. If it makes my posts hard to read for people, I'll stop. I'm posting this one in black for convenience.

*masturbates while playing Final Fantasy X-2 and holding onto Allen Cumming (was that his name?) plush doll*

I see where you're coming from. But I didn't make the avatar or tags. I stole them from some teenage girl on the Ashlee message boards. (Maybe that's worse than making them myself...)

My girlfriend has her CD, and it's actually not too bad.

Samuel, it's nice to see a manly man admit this.

------------------

My computer is far too slow to download the performance video, but I watched Pardon the Interruption today and saw the 15 seconds or so that they aired from the end of her song, "Lala". I came into it thinking, "Ya know, I'll bet everyone was being overly hard on her. I'm sure it's not that bad."

This time, it's not a disagreement of opinion. She was horrible and that's a fact.

I don't know if it was the fact that, with the exception of a few awards shows, she had never performed in front of a large crowd- she usually plays to a few thousand people- or the fact that she was probably scared shitless by being surrounded by all those rabid football fans, but she sucked ass. Maybe it was something in the air seeing as how other people said that the other acts were awful as well.

I really think it's unfair, though, how the media automatically assumes that all her performances are like this one and SNL. I have seen her on TV singing live with no backing track and she did just fine. These 2 episodes were the exception, not the norm.

I don't understand why Hollywood just keeps pushing and promoting and trying to go down with the ship. Everyone sees what happens, everyone puts 2+2 together. Almost everyone is waiting for her career to die already and she goes back to serving fries at Burger King. Drop the damn shoe already.

And secondly, who keeps putting pop acts in front of sports crowds? You've got thousands of rowdy drunk guys who think it's enjoyable to heckle famous people. Put on a metal act or something they'll actually enjoy.