TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Your Gamecube Game of the Year for 2005

I'm Xbox first.

If I want a game that doesn't come to Xbox (Metroid, GTA, Resident Evil) then I'll boot up one of the other systems. But it happens a lot less often than you'd think.

Same here.

However, GTA:SA is coming to Xbox, so I'm content to wait. It dosen't hurt that my brother has a copy for the PS2, though.

With stuff like RE, I'll wait and see..mainly because I've always hated the camera..

I used to go with PS2 for multi-console games because I loved the controller especially for sports. But last summer I opted to get NCAA and Madden on Xbox and I will never go back. The loading times on PS2 are ridiculous and the graphics inferior. Also having a hard drive and ethernet port built in make it so much easier.

I would like to pick up a Gamecube eventually but I just don't have the money to buy all the games I want and a new system. Maybe RE4 will convince me to get one.

Do you realize that you just ripped off the Power Glove scene from The Wizard for your scenario? (I love reminding people about all the greeeeeeeeat business decisions Nintendo has made thru the years, like both the Power Glove and The Wizard for example.)

Are you serious? I haven't seen that movie in so many years. My dad bought a Powerglove when it first came out, before I actually saw the movie on tv for the first time and it didn't work for shit, we boxed it back up and placed it into the closet and never touched it again, the robot didn't work either. I really wanted the robot to work cause I had gyromite and it wasn't easy to play that game by yourself.

Guest SpiderFan
With stuff like RE, I'll wait and see..mainly because I've always hated the camera..

The camera has been completly changed. It now follows you from behind, instead of being staticly fixed somewhere. The controls have apparently been changed as well, to be more intuitive and less clunky, including a context sensitive button that lets you do things like jump out windows, jump off roofs, push over ladders, kick enemys, dodge attacks, check things, pick up items, ect.

Yeah, I got the demo when I preordered and the camera is fantastic...and the control is roughly a gazillion times better than previous games.

It feels completely different cause these villagers are fast and they are coming in force. I was running around the little town...and then someone cut my head off with a chainsaw.

Good times.

Yeah, I got the demo when I preordered and the camera is fantastic...and the control is roughly a gazillion times better than previous games.

It feels completely different cause these villagers are fast and they are coming in force. I was running around the little town...and then someone cut my head off with a chainsaw.

Good times.

I put that demo in one of the systems at the store and when the first kid who played it got his head sawed off, himself and the other kids watching him play freaked out but wanted to keep on playing. It was very cool to see.

Gamespot gave the game a 9.6

I can't wait for Wednesday so I can go pick this up. This game and the upcoming Zelda game are the only two games I'm interested in playing, now that I have lost complete interest in video games(except for Sports games).

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Knock it for it being a movie that anybody over 11 would hate, and for being a hour and a half infomercial, but calling it a bad decision is too far.  The fact they made 14 million in ticket sales for a film that got kids begging their parents to spend more money on anything Nintendo related, yes even the ill fated powerglove, but mostly Super Mario 3, which on the first day of school after this movie came out started WEEKS of talk about Mario, more than made this a good decision.

The movie sucked. Sucked hard. Even when I was 9 and seeing it on the big screen, I realized that. Not only was the writing/acting/directing all fairly lame, but the movie actually had a whole bunch of mistakes and inaccuracies about various Nintendo games. ("Get the STAR, Jimmy, it's worth more points!") That's just inexcusable, as the kids in the target audience pick up on bullshit like that right away.

$14 mil in box office, yeah. But how much did it cost to make? Hell, at the time $14 large probably just barely covered the salaries of Fred Savage, Beau Bridges, and Christian Slater combined.

And yes, the movie did help sell merchandise. Specifically, it helped sell one Power Glove to yours truly. And THAT moment is the first time I realized that video game companies and movies would lie to me and sell me horrible useless shit just to steal my money.

On topic, what other games has IGN ever given a 9.8 or higher score?

It was a bad decision on the movie studio's part, not Nintendo. They didn't make the movie themselves, they got paid so that a movie studio could give them free publicity. That's an incredibly good decision, because even though The Wizard sucked, I'm sure nobody was turned off to Nintendo because of it.

Guest Failed Mascot
(I love reminding people about all the greeeeeeeeat business decisions Nintendo has made thru the years, like both the Power Glove and The Wizard for example.) 

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Knock it for it being a movie that anybody over 11 would hate

I don't remember how old I was when it first came out but I loved the film. Haven't seen it in ages but watching them play all the old school games in the arcade brings back some good memories for me.

I'm Xbox first.

If I want a game that doesn't come to Xbox (Metroid, GTA, Resident Evil) then I'll boot up one of the other systems.  But it happens a lot less often than you'd think.

Same here.

However, GTA:SA is coming to Xbox, so I'm content to wait.

Before Christmas all I wanted was GTA:SA for the PS2. After recieving an X-Box I'm more than willing to wait until June or July for its X-Box release.

I loved The Wizard too but I haven't seen it since I was 8. It actually has a decent IMDB rating.

How the fuck did he know how did he know to duck on the white block for 2 seconds and then run to the end of the level to get the whistle if he never played the game before? Answer: Because he's the wizard, duh.

Earlier, I said I was going to wait on this game. However, after reading reviews at various sites along with posts at GameFAQs, I decided I had to have it now.

I called every store in the area yesterday and they all said that they wouldn't get it in til today or Thursday... except one. One of the Gamestops here was supposed to get it between 6-8 PM.

When I went there, you know what they told me? They couldn't sell it to me for 2 days since I didn't have a pre-order, despite the fact that they had several extra copies after covering those pre-orders. What kind of fucked up, ass backwards business practice is this? I've never heard of that at any store, including other Gamestop locations.

Well, it turns out that I may still have to wait on RE4 since I'll probably be needing to pick up an Xbox Live starter kit in a couple days, but regardless... I rarely shop at Gamestop as it is, but this bullshit has ensured that they will always be the very last place I'll go for games. I can get my RE4 elsewhere.

I fell into it, as well, Matt. I said I was going to wait for the PS2 version.. but after hearing how insanely great this game turned out to be [i honeslty wasn't even excited for it, like I have been for other RE games] I broke down and picked it up the other day. So glad I did.. no one should ever regret having this game. It's so fucking intense.. I have to stop to catch my breath every five minutes! ;)

Guest wildpegasus
I fell into it, as well, Matt. I said I was going to wait for the PS2 version.. but after hearing how insanely great this game turned out to be [i honeslty wasn't even excited for it, like I have been for other RE games] I broke down and picked it up the other day. So glad I did.. no one should ever regret having this game. It's so fucking intense.. I have to stop to catch my breath every five minutes! ;)

But is it scary? Because if it isn't frightning that it isn't Resident Evil. That's why I play the series.

There are quite a few scares so far.. mind you I'm only onto the second "chapter" so I'm sure there's still lots to come. The combat engine is fucking awesome, that's for sure.

IGN said that the detail on some of those bosses is insane. They also posted a picture of what I can only guess is the ogre boss in their review, and he looked damn realistic and menacing.

Guest wildpegasus
There are quite a few scares so far.. mind you I'm only onto the second "chapter" so I'm sure there's still lots to come. The combat engine is fucking awesome, that's for sure.

Thanks for the response.

What about the atmosphere in the game? Scary or not?

Thanks for the response.

Definitely. And it changes. Quickly. From impending silence, like something is around any corner, to crazy rushes when you're getting chased down by a hoard of crazy villagers. Hell, even the day time "levels" are creepy.

Guest wildpegasus

Thanks for the response.

Definitely. And it changes. Quickly. From impending silence, like something is around any corner, to crazy rushes when you're getting chased down by a hoard of crazy villagers. Hell, even the day time "levels" are creepy.

Cool.

I really wish Capcom didn't have to be so good about the details as to have the villagers actually speak spanish. It would be nice to know what they're saying. Also putting cows and chickens in the farm area...nice touch.

Anyone else steped on a rake and got hit in the head with the handle, or was I imagining that I did?

The only problem Im having so far is the fact that Ive got a widescreen TV and the black bars are bigger than even a widescreen movie on a regular TV.

Black bars on the top and bottom of your widescreen TV?  Have you tried adjusting the aspect ratio?

No..see..Capcom thought they'd make the game look cool by putting black bars on the game instead of making a setting for Widescreen TVs. I didnt really think the bars would be a problem, but they take up a pretty big chunk of my 30 inch widescreen TV. I could ZOOM the image, but that would distort the picture.

dscf00025tp.jpg

Crappy picture, I know..

Maybe Im not doing something right..I know I dont have the cables to output fromt he GC to my TV to get progressive scan but I dont think that really should matter.

Im on Chapter 4 right now, and I was wondering when the 2nd disc comes into play. I've heard the game is only 5 chapters long which would make the 2nd disc real silly if its only got 1 chapter on it.

The 2nd disc begins with chapter 5. Chapter 5 has four sections and Chapter 6 has one.

Well I picked it up to cotinue my GC renaissance (along with Metroid Prime 2 and LOTR: The Third Age). I'm only on section 3 in chapter 1 and I'm pretty well hooked. Just a couple of nagging problems, the main one being the weapon strength. I'm getting headshots like crazywith the pistol and it's still taking me 4 or 5 shots to kill even the normal guys. The only time I'm getting one shot kills is when I blast a guy who's rushing at me. Pretty funny to see some dude rush at me, his head explode, and his body just keeps rolling right past me. I guess hte whole power issue is where the "tweaking" comes in. I spent my money on getting the sniper rifle w/ scope, bigger attache case and treasure map so I haven't tweaked anything yet.

The atmosphere is incredible. They did a great job of creating scenes that look like a village mixed with some old school Italian horror movies or something. No real "crapped myself" moments yet, although I did learn the hard way to run like hell when I hear a chainsaw rev up. I've got high hopes for it, I hope it's long enough that I don't feel cheated when it's over.

OK, I've gotten a bit further into the game and still enjoying it. Getting quite a bit harder, and ammo is running shorter and shorter (a problem I had with other RE games). Time to go spoiler so I don't ruin anything.

I'be gotten past the fortified house (don't get me started on how big a pain in the ass that was) and now have a choice. El Gigante again or the female chainsaw wackos. Gigante squashed Ashley so I'm thinking about just trying to get around the Ganados, but how much damage do they take? I've only got about 15 shots with the shotgun, 50 rounds with the TMP, but plenty of ammo for the 9mm. I'm using a maxed out (as much as I can, anyway) shotgun and Red9 but they take more damage then I can dish out with what I've got left.

Any hints would be appreciated.

El Gigante should be a cinch with the weapons you're packing. If you aren't feeling chivalrous offer Ashley up as a sacrifice to the big lug and pop a few rounds of the shotty or Red9 into his face & hands. He'll reel back & drop her for no damage, then just climb up & knife the Las Plagas in his back. Be wary when you've killed him though; there's a button press cut-scene to watch out for.

I forget, have we been offered the Riot Gun by the merchant at this point? Even so, your standard issue shotgun should deal out some serious hurt.

Or, if you're feeling somewhat chivalrous but cowardly, back up a bit and wait for him to lumber down the path, then wait for the opportune moment to shoot out the plank holding the boulder above his head (Ashley should point it out). He'll be severely stunned. Take this chance to run all the way to the opposite side and either knife or shoot off the locks. You'll miss out on some major bonuses, but you won't have to worry about damage or losing what ammo you already have. Keep running 'til the end, he'll be after you once he comes to. I vaguely remember needing a key to get out the other side, but it should be located in one of the cottage sheds.

Taking the Ganados path is dicey if you're low on ammo. Both chainsaw Bella Sisters take a MINIMUM of six standard shotgun blast to the face and would have to be in very close range for maximum damage. It's manageable; just kill the supporting Ganados before dropping for the big fight without blowing up the explosives. Lure them in and pick them off one by one if you have to. Jump into the pit to activate the sisters (don't knock down the ladder!), then quick turn & immediately climb back up. Drop off the ledge located in front of the explosive cart, wait for at least one of 'em to scream into your line of fire, and detonate the keg with a Red9 shot. Finish 'em off with your shotgun and grenades & kill the rest as you see fit.

Still a ton of Ganados in the camp beyond this, so really, if you're not doing good on ammunition the Gigante's the choice path. I do both just to make more money.

I just came to the realization that The Rocket Launcher makes for the cheapest boss fights ever..1 shot and the Salazar/Tentacle monster thing was dead.

I finally made it to the 2nd disc, and Im really starting to hate the action commands durring the cutscenes. You have to actually pay attention to them..

Have you gotten to the Krauser knife fight yet?. Oy.

There's this one part at the very end with some button mashing, and then SOME MORE alternate button mashing, that led me to a slow stabbity death the first time round. Be ready for more button press combos during the big throw-down with him; the guy is a close-quarters BEAST.

I'm not sure how far you are or if you want any strategy or spoilers on the guy, so I'll leave him at that.

I used my free rocket on Salazar's Right Hand (Verdugo) after freezing him by knocking over the tanks, which seems to be the general consensus on where you wanna majorly blow some shit up. Him or the twin Garradors.