TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

Wrestling books

I just bought we unscripted the other day cuz it was in the bargain area at waldenbooks I got it for 5 bucks. Surprisngly good so far, though each page is brutally short, but nice pics in there too

Guest Wrestling Perspective

Think this article might be of interest:

The Phantom of the Ring, now back home after his several month stint in the hospital, has compiled his list of...

Desert Island Wrestling Books ...

It seems as though everyone and his brother is publishing a tome on the pro game these days, whether as an analyst, participant, or just plain spectator. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. In the not too distant past, serious books about the game or its stars were very few and very far in between...

You can read the rest of this great article, which provides a wonderful look back at the magazine & newsletter days before the Have A Nice Day led book explosion, here: http://wrestlingperspective.com/books/phantomdesert.html

I think it's a real nice guide and puts the wrestling book boom into context.

Enjoy!!!!

:)

Best,

Paul MacArthur

Wrestling Perspective

I actually have the Diana Hart book, and would be willing to part with it. She's got some pretty interesting stories about living with a 14-person family, as well as having wrestlers and celebrities like Muhammad Ali around. Ultimately, I hated it, however. It's blatantly self-serving, and pretty much nothing but dirty laundry, a lot of which I have trouble believing.

I didn't mind Flair's book, and he had some great road stories, but a fair amount of was revisionist or just personal attacks. Decent read.

Adam Copeland on Edge I only browsed while in a bookstore shortly after its release. Seemed pretty good, you could really see the similarities between him and his character. He struck me, based upon his writing style, like he'd be great to have a beer with. His writing really just seemed like he was telling you a story as though you were sitting with him.

And it's been mentioned a few times now, but Have a Nice Day was a stellar read, both for wrestling and non-fans alike. Easy to read, great storytelling, not self-serving whatsoever, honest, funny - an all around great book.

I was at the bookstore and saw a book titled Between the Ropes and had a picture of someone giving a piledriver (I think) on the cover. I guess it's from a couple of guys with a radio show of the same name? Anyone read it and have an opinion on it?

Did I read that Vince McMahon doesn't have any plans on writing an autobiography.

I doubt anyone would believe anything he would put in it anyway.

Has anyone read The Hardcore Diaries yet? I came across it in a bookstore the other day, but didn't have a chance to skim through it.

Have A Nice Day: best book ever written about wrestling.

Foley Is Good: not as good as his first one, but still damned entertaining and informative.

The Stone Cold Truth: a good read, but too damn short, I wish he'd gone into much more detail.

Ric Flair: To Be The Man: excellent book in every way, except for all the controversies over Flair's opinions of people like Bret Hart, Mick Foley, etc.

Those are the ones I've read, and I mostly agree with your opinion.

Would love to read Tributes, the Dynamite Kid's one, and Bret's when it finally comes out. Shawn Michael's book is on my to read list. And according to Jim Ross, Jericho's book is shaping up to be pretty good too.

According to a recent article about Jericho I read a couple days ago, Jericho sent out an early copy to Mick Foley who told him it was one of the best wrestlers autobiographies he's read.

I think Bret Hart's book in out due in September and Jericho's in October. I can't wait for both!

Has anyone read The Hardcore Diaries yet? I came across it in a bookstore the other day, but didn't have a chance to skim through it.

Its a good read, but not worth a purchase IMO. Its definitely the weakest of the Foley trilogy. He has some fun stories like his meeting with Adam West and there's a lot of stuff in there non-wrestling related.

The most disappointing part is basically him getting all excited and detailed throughout the book about the One Night Stand match (which I didn't think was all that good to be honest) and then he just briefly mentions the Flair feud in the last chapter instead of stretching that for a couple of dozen more pages because that's a lot of material he chose not to use.

I would love that have read the same type of thoughts and details that he had on the Edge & Foley / Funk / Dreamer match for the feud with Ric Flair since those thoughts (considering the real life heat) was one of the main reasons why I wanted to get the book before I actually read it. Ugh! Such wasted potential reading material!

It's fairly good, but I agree it the worst of the 3, probably because he had the least material to work with. If you can get it in paperback for $10 on Amazon in a couple of months or whatever, I'd get it.

Any further news on the Jericho and Hart books? I actually came here today looking for a review of Heenan's books, but I really wanna get Jericho/Hart now.

I thought I saw someone quote Jericho's book on YouTube today, but, you know, it's YouTube.

Bret Hart's book comes out in 2 days, unless his website is lying to us. I'm surprised no one is talking about it.

I can remember reading that the first volume and a half had been finished in October of 2002! http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=18948 That's how long I've been waiting for this book to come out. It had better be 3000 pages long after all this time.

Guest the_last_rites

I bet Hart will have some amazing road stories. And as can be expected there will be a lot of trumpeting his own horn by Hart. But over the course of the 10 years, post Montreal Screwjob; thats something I can live with. I hope he focuses more on his early career in MLW, Stampede and more. I wanna hear about how it was working with Super Juniors and more. I hope he doesnt fall prey to taking digs at HBK and Vince (well atleast not a lot). After Foleys book this is one wrestling related book that I am looking forward to buying

Picked up Jericho's book the other day. I'm finishing up Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground soon, and then I'm starting on that. Looks really promising, and the picture section in the middle just has witty comments about everybody that's in a picture with Jericho.

I fully anticipate the Bret Hart book since he seems to be the type of guy that remembers or takes notes on everything that happens. I guess we'll get more but hopefully not TOO much on Montreal, more thoughts on HBK, Owen, Flair, Sid, Taker, WCW bookers, Nash, etc.....

I hope it's a good book and certainly it'll be better than that piece of crap that came out in 1999 or 2000? With airbrushed WWE pictures in the book and a TOO pro WCW look, mind you, it wasn't his choice.

Bret Hart Brutally Honest In New Book, Calls McMahon A Master Manipulator

The Vancouver Sun is reporting some new details on Bret Hart’s upcoming autobiography. According to the publication, Hart carried a tape recorder with him on the road for several years where he would put his thoughts and later transcribed them. Apparently those will be included in the autobiography.

Also in the book, Hart admits to many extra-marital affairs, his weakness for women while on the road as well as painting WWE Chairman Vince McMahon as a master manipulator who wasn't good for shit.

Bret Hart has promised that he is very open and brutally honest in the book.

(source: Rajah.com)

I was looking up to see when I could get Hart's book here in the states and came across a book about the Benoit situation is already coming out in Novermber. Did anyone know this?

http://www.amazon.com/Benoit-Wrestling-Hor...0027716-2821653

Looks like there are a few books coming out about Benoit. Unless they are from guys that are in the buinsess, then I have no intrest in reading them.

Dynamite's book and Broken Harts are among the non WWE books that are great reads..I also really enjoyed the Death of WCW in a car crash can't look away kind of way..if any one cares I just recently failed at selling those three along with Flair's and Foleys first two books on Ebay for cheap.. if anyone is interested let me know..

I just picked up Jerichos book last night at Waldenbooks, two weeks ago I got Bischoffs book (the paperback version), almost done, interesting stuff, but not really a must-read.

Hardcore diaries was fun cuz of foleys style, but yea the weakest of the 3 due to less material and time periods to cover.

Grahams book was pretty inciteful and worth a read

Guest benoitwasmurdered

I just bought Bret's book this morning and just skimming through, it looks excellent. He did a big cartoon drawing of a bunch of wrestlers which is pretty amusing.

I just bought Bret's book this morning and just skimming through, it looks excellent. He did a big cartoon drawing of a bunch of wrestlers which is pretty amusing.

Hopefully that drawing is better than the god-awful one he did back in the early 90s for WWF magazine. I swear, Bret can't draw for shit based on that.

Glad to hear the book seems to be good, can't wait to read it.

I have received today a confirmation of delivery for both Jericho's and Hart's books. I pre-ordered more than a month ago with amazon.ca and it only costed me a little more than 40, which is a good deal for these two books.

I've read that Jericho's book stops at his WWF debut so he will probably do a follow-up when he's done with WWE for good....I don't think WWE would take criticism pretty well since he's coming back. Does Hart's book covers his entire career ? I know there was a plan on him doing his autobiography in three books but I think the idea's been scrapped for quite a while.