TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
I like Forums

Match with Most Crowd Heat EVER

I was thinking about crowd atmospheres and how much it adds to a match. Crowd heat is what most wrestlers will tell you excites them the most about being a professional wrestler, it is what drives them to put their bodies on the line. Then I thought about what match, had the most intense heat of all time. I immediately thought about The Rock vs Hollywood Hogan at WrestleMania X8. I was there live and that must be why I instantly thought about it. It was an unreal atmosphere. Eventhough it was an entire stadium full of people, it felt like when you watch a PPV with all your closest friends and you have a rivalry of favorites and are jumping up and down with excitement over which favorite is going to win. The climax of the entire match to me was after Hogan hit the atomic leg drop and only got two. I knew after that Rock was going over.

My question to you is, what match is the most heated of all time?

I also put forward the thought that Canadian Crowds are the hottest crowds on average in North America.

Guest Ice Classic V.2

The 10 man tag at Canadian Stampede is pretty high up there, if not the highest. It was unreal.

Guest LooneyTune

Top 3 for WWE...

(No particular order)

1. Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock (WM X-8 in Toronto)

2. Canadian Stampede 10-Man Tag

3. Steve Austin vs. The Rock (WM X-Seven in Houston)

None of those had any more heat than your average Hogan or Bruno Sammartino match from Madison Square Gardens back in the day.

Personally, I'd say the greatest crowd heat belongs to a rare few matches in Japan. The All-Japan 6-5-95 Misawa/Kobashi vs. Kawada/Taue match comes to mind. In that one, the crowd was SO explosive that they literally made the entire building shake. It's true: look at the hard cam (the main camera, the one with the wide shot of the entire ring). The picture literally vibrates because the crowd is making the floor shake, they're screaming and stomping so hard.

Guest Rrrsh
The 10 man tag at Canadian Stampede is pretty high up there, if not the highest. It was unreal.

Thats my vote in a walk.

Guest Hass of Pain

To this day I have never seen anything rival Goldberg defeating Hogan to win the WCW World Title in the Georgia Dome in front of 40,000+ fans.

The Canadian Stampede, Rock/Hogan, and the ten man tag in early 2000 on Raw with HHH/X-Pac/Benoit/Saturn/Malenko taking on Foley/The Rock/Too Cool and Rikishi. That match had some of the most insane crowd heat I have ever heard.

Guest LooneyTune

^--- and people say the angle bombed. Whoever says that is full of shit. The crowds in LA are usually not that good, and they were on fire for Roberts.

Guest Rrrsh

That was a awesome angle. The match was great live and fine the 1st time for pure suspense.

Unfortunatly, Indy promoters try and copy it. THERE is where it bombs.

Wrestlemania 3 also had other matches with crowd heat that you hardly see, Piper/Adonis, Savage/Steamboat,Honky/Roberts and the 6 man tag(Danny Davis mostly) all had a great reaction.

Edit: Shame on all of you for forgetting Warrior/Honky at Summerslam 88

In terms of sheer quantity, I'd have to give it to Ric Flair vs. Antonio Inoki, since they main-evented the card that set the world record attendence record for professional wrestling. I forget the exact number, but over 150,000 people were there live for that match.

In terms of sheer quantity, I'd have to give it to Ric Flair vs. Antonio Inoki, since they main-evented the card that set the world record attendence record for professional wrestling. I forget the exact number, but over 150,000 people were there live for that match.

While that crowd is a pro wrestling record, it isn't accurate to use it as a measure of drawing power as everyone there was told to attend, so it wouldn't have mattered who was wrestling, it would have still drawn 170,000.

As for most crowd heat, for sustained heat I'd probably have to go with the main event for Canadian Stampede. For most heat in the shortest period of time, then I'd go with pretty much any time the Rock 'n' Roll Express came out during their 1985-1986 peak. That is like nothing else you've ever been witness to.

what are your guys takes on the heat from the HBK/Bret match at S.Series 97? To me the crowd seemed totally out of it because of Bret jumping to WCW, plus heel vs. heel and face vs. face usually never works...

I think people are forgetting Hogan/Warrior. That to me had the most heat ever because it wasn't the crowd all cheering one guy like Rock/Hogan, it was a completely split crowd, as split of a crowd as you can have in a Wrestlemania title match.

Some of the Misawa v Kawada or Kobashi matches have unreal heat.

Some of the Lawler/Rude confrontations had HUGE heat from a small audience in Memphis.

Guest LooneyTune
I think people are forgetting Hogan/Warrior. That to me had the most heat ever because it wasn't the crowd all cheering one guy like Rock/Hogan, it was a completely split crowd, as split of a crowd as you can have in a Wrestlemania title match.

Some would say the cheers after the match were for Hogan, and not Warrior. Considering Warrior was being boo'ed against HEELS over the next few weeks, I believe the statement true.

That and Andre/Hogan @ WM III would probably pad out my Top 5.

I wish I could find this one interview with Sammartino I read a while back, I think it was with Meltzer. Anyway, he said that the loudest crowd reaction he'd ever heard was during his feud with Larry Zybisco. Bruno said that they had to literally scream their spots into each other's ears, otherwise they couldn't hear shit, the crowd was roaring so loud.

Hogan/Rock at Mania

On the indys - Kevin Steen vs Chris Daniels from EWR.Man,that was off the charts.Probably the most active crowd i`ve ever seen.And the match was sweet too.

It's also awesome any time the crowd is so loud that the sound on tape is distorted because the equipment can't record it properly. The response to Sabu showing up to challenge Taz at November to Remember 1996 is a good example of that.

Guest LooneyTune

ECW? Could've been because the camera equpiment wasn't top notch or the microphones were shit. I doubt a building filled with 1,000 people can cause something like that while 20,000 or more can only make the building shake.

Guest jm29195

Hows about Regal/Eugene vs La Resistance from Raw in Manchester from October last year, don't know how it came off on TV but the English reaction for Regal was incredible live....