TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

21 Years Ago Today

Yeah, I didn't see a mention of this anywhere, but today is the anniversary of the birth of Hulkamania. On this date in 1984, Hulk Hogan beat The Iron Shiek to win his first WWF title. It seems like it was just yesterday.

Guest Hass of Pain

I'm a workrate snob, but I'll be a mark for Hogan and Hulkamania until the day I die.

hulk2.jpg

hulk1.jpg

hulk3.jpg

I wouldn't have been a wrestling fan if it wasn't for Hogan. :D

hulk16.jpg

hulk40.jpg

ad-wm05a.jpg

hulk20.jpg

ad-wm07.jpg

hulk34.jpg

hulk46.jpg

Good God, 21 years ago.

I didn't even think it was that long ago.

I wish the WWE would, actually could, sell Hogan shirts. I'd so buy one right now, just because.

Guest Trivia247

Any wrestling fan worth his salt would recognize that Hulk Hogan's involvement and character created by the WWF was what put WWF out there with the more main stream public. there was alot of great wrestlers and wrestling going on with the WWF, you had Randy Savage, Bret Hart, British bulldogs, Rick Rude Jake Roberts and even the Mighty HAKU! but more than likely their exposure wouldn't have been so great with the main stream everyday folks who became fans, if it wasn't the machine that promoted and drove Hulk Hogan.

Alot of factors happen that turned WWF from a Wrestling New York Based Fief into a National and later Global Promotion. the exposure and the popularity due to how they handle Hulk Hogan was apart of it.

Without a Hogan, the WWF would be at the same level as the NWA AWA UWA etc etc etc in terms of Popularity still good and all, but nothing that truly sticks in peoples minds. Just flippin channels and find wrestling, don't even know which promotion just wrestling.

Hulk Hogan Signified WWF like Ric Flair would Signify NWA/WCW

Guest krazykat72
Bobby Heenan made Hulkamania.

Sylvester Stallone made Hulk Hogan.

He was a huge star in the AWA, which is where the Hulkamania concept really took off. I highly suggest picking up meltzer's review of Hogan's book.

Besides it being hilarious, it walks through hogan's entire career.

-Paul Jacobi-

I got into wrestling when I was about 5 years old, but I became hooked two years later in the build up to Wrestlemania. I was a kid and cheered Hogan like everyone. By the time he was in WCW I was tired of him. After I became an insider fan I hated Hogan's backstage poiltics and wasn't intersted in seeing him come back to the WWF. At WM X8 I couldn't believe the Toronto crowd was going nuts for Hogan, the entire match I thought they were stupid for falling for Hogan's routine.

But when he started to "Hulk Up" even I have to admit I would have been cheering along with everyone else.

When Hogan posed after the match, they should have played "Real American". That would have put the moment over the top.

Same thing the next year against Vince, If he had come out to "Real American" instead of "Voodoo Child" they would have blown the roof of the palce.

Guest LooneyTune

I think coming out to Voodoo Child hurt his reactions. He only used the theme as a heel, and once the instrumental opening is done, there's nothing left to get the crowd excited. Real American is always a crowd popper. They even cheered for PAT PATTERSON doing the Hulk routine.