TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tbondrage99

2005s Comic Movies

It looks like 2005 will be another big year for the comic world in Hollywood. With seven movies comfirmed, that I know of, and at least another 9 rumored. Confirmed are, Elektra, which obvioulsy has already opened, Constantine, Son Of The Mask, Sin City, Man Thing, Batman Begins, & the Fantastic Four. Aside from those rumored to also come out this year at the moment are Ultraviolet, V For Vendetta, The Punisher 2, Mirror Mask, Iron Fist, The Crow: The Wicked Prayer, Deathlok, A History of Violence & Luke Cage.

My questions are which one of these do you think will be the biggest hits and which ones your looking the most forward to. Personaly I think Batman Begins will be the biggest hit followed by Fantastic Four, which are the obvious picks. I also think that Sin City will become a big sleeper hit and a new cult favorite. Sin City is also the one Im looking most forward to.

Guest SpiderFan

Batman Begins and Sin City will be the only ones to be any good. Fantastic Four will be average-below average. Everything else will suck.

Batman will be the biggest hit of them all, followed by FF.

Guest PlatinumBoy

Son of the Mask looks so awful it makes me question my faith in any deity out there. However, people--an Iron Fist movie (IF DONE RIGHT) could be fun. Hell, if they had made it in the 70's, added in his partner Luke Cage for one big movie of everything 70'sish--kung fu, ninjas, blaxploitation, etc. etc.

Also, Constantine in the comic world is awesome. Keanu is SO not the guy to play him. They need a smartass Brit.

I think a Iron Fist movie would actually be pretty good. I heard its supposed to be a big martial arts movie in the same vein as a Jackie Chan or Jet Li movie. I Personally think it would be awesome, but then again Im one of the few people that like Iron Fist.

You'd think they would have AT LEAST made Keanu go blonde.

I've never read the Hellblazer comic, but from what I understand there's been quite a few changes made from the comic. Let's see how this one turns out in the end.

Man-Thing I think I heard was going either for limited release or direct to video. Anyone with more info please share it.

Punisher 2 for 2005? Highly unlikely, IMO. The first movie actually made a litle profit and was also a big DVD seller, but no second part is coming this year, it's too soon. Wether they're thinking about a sequel for the near future is another matter.

I'm not one of those going ga-ga over the new Bat-flick, but I hope it's a good movie, and it seems a safe bet to say it'll be the biggest comic-book movie of the year (not counting Star Wars Ep.III which is not a comics movie per se.)

And I'm also looking forward to the F4 movie, hopefully it does really, really well, and the common folk won't say that it's an "Incredibles" rip-off.

Edited by pochorenella

Yup Man-Thing is indeed going to be Direct to DVD. I dont think The Punisher will be out this year either, nor do I think, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, or Deathlok will be out this year either. Since they are all from Marvel and we havent heard much from either of those I doubt it will be out either. Maybe they will all come out in 2006 along with rumored Iron Man & Ghost Rider (Yet again) movies.

The Trailer for Fantastic Four is out now, I think it looks pretty good.

Batman Begins is on my list. Sin City is a "maybe" since I haven't read more than one of the books, but I think it'll be a good noir movie. FF looks like a rental at this point, but Jessica Alba in a skintight suit can't be a bad thing. Then again, I could just watch my Dark Angel DVDs for that.

Aside from that, there are two movies that have been published as comics before that I'll watch - Hitchhiker's Guide and that George Lucas movie (can't remember the name for some reason...)

John Constantine is a mean, but charming, prick, who generally is self-loathing, and gets by on his wits. He is also a blonde brite. None of these things describe Keanu Reeves.

Watchmen maybe coming out this year? Preacher sorta sounds DOA, which to be honest I'm sorta grateful for. James Marsden as Jesse Custer? Yuck.

Guest PlatinumBoy
John Constantine is a mean, but charming, prick, who generally is self-loathing, and gets by on his wits. He is also a blonde brite. None of these things describe Keanu Reeves.

Watchmen maybe coming out this year? Preacher sorta sounds DOA, which to be honest I'm sorta grateful for. James Marsden as Jesse Custer? Yuck.

As much as I love Watchmen, I really, really, really hope it doesn't come out as a movie. There is just too much in it to put in a movie.

I said it before and I'll say it gaain, if anything Watchmen should be made into a Mini-Series on TV, in 6 one hour long episodes can cover two comics per show. 12 one hour long episodes would be even better, but lets face it, instead of doing the greatness that is The Watchmen its due they are gonna try to make the quick buck by squeezing it into 90 - 120 minute movie.

Umm,...Star...Wars?

It was sarcasm, my friend.

I said it before and I'll say it gaain, if anything Watchmen should be made into a Mini-Series on TV, in 6 one hour long episodes can cover two comics per show. 12 one hour long episodes would be even better, but lets face it, instead of doing the greatness that is The Watchmen its due they are gonna try to make the quick buck by squeezing it into 90 - 120 minute movie.

I agree with you, it shouldn't be done, but they'll try anyways.

I dont want to see it done either, butif they did this is the way I would perfer. Its dunny dont you think? It seems like most comic fans dont want Watchmen to be made into a movie at all. If the fans of the comic dont want to see it then where is the audience for it?

Guest TonyJaymzV1

I thought Watchmen was going to be a miniseries on HBO? I swore I read that in one of the movie magazines at my work...tomorrow I'll go and verify whether this is right or not, I I do believe its suppossed to be a minieseries. The scary thing though, is Paul W.S. Anderson may be the director.

A HBO Miniseries would be the best thing for it b ut I still think they should leave it as is.

I loved it when Keanu did an interview where he said that they were going to stay as close to the comic as possible "Except John is a blonde... from L.A....". Hellblazer is one of my favorite comics, and I haven't even bought one since seeing the first trailer for the movie. What an unbelievable pile of garbage that looks to be.

James Marsden as Jesse sounds awful.

Guest PlatinumBoy
I dont want to see it done either, butif they did this is the way I would perfer. Its dunny dont you think? It seems like most comic fans dont want Watchmen to be made into a movie at all. If the fans of the comic dont want to see it then where is the audience for it?

Oh, I'd watch it in a second. However, so much of it's charm is based on how Moore and Gibbons used comic panels. Manhattan doing the same thing on two pages exactly. Light and dark alternating, etc. etc. Also there are tons of themes--the Hiroshima Twins, all the Alexander/Ramses tiny things (like the electric company Veidt owns being called Gordian), I find tons of things everytime I read this. The details here are AMAZING. Example... do you think in the movie they would have the detectives pick up on Nite Owl II being a superhero because he uses the same sugar cubes Rorschach eats? I can see Comedian ending up being a goofy war type, Rorschach just being psycho, Veidt being one dimensional, etc. etc. They don't have time to build up 1/3 the characters, let alone the side plots or stories. Also, as the CGI in Hulk showed (I like Hulk too)... we don't have the technology to make it. No one in Hollywood as of yet could make Dr. Manhattan anywhere near as cool as he was in the comic. You'd have to have a character that clones himself, grows at will, phases through things, creates objects, shoots energy rays, lifts things through no effort, etc. etc. I think tons of his most moving scenes would have to be cut or just look bad (his attack on Ozymandias, making the Crystal Palace for Laurie). If they do the movie right, it will be amazing. However, if they do it bad it will be horrible and grim for no reason. The arguable best comic ever deserves good things.

Do you think that Watchmen would be better served by doing multiple movies (rather than one movie, seeing as how HBO seems to be out of the question)? It would give them more time to tell the story, set things up, etc...

Batman, FF and Sin City are the flicks I'll go see. Star Wars is such a piece of shit but I've seen the last two in theatres and I'll probably not break that for the 3rd one.

It's too bad about Constantine. I feel bad for anyone who is a big fan of the book. This movie is garbage and spits and shats on the original material it was based on.

I hope the Punisher get's a sequel. I mean, fuck, the Punisher should be like one of *the* easiest movies to tell. Instead the 1st movie was filled up 2/3's of the way with his origin while getting to see John Travolta mugging for the camera. At least the 1989 movie got it right with how to insert the origin.

It's too bad about Constantine. I feel bad for anyone who is a big fan of the book. This movie is garbage and spits and shats on the original material it was based on.

Oh hell yeah. I'm a huge Hellblazer fan, and I just almost broke down weeping when I first saw the Constantine trailer. Ted Neodore Logan as John Bloody Constantine?!? Christ, even if Jude Law was too busy to play the part, get James Marsters or someone like that to do it. Also pissed me off since the basic theme of Hellblazer is about humans have made a shithole of the modern world and that magic is simply too powerful and strange a force to be fucked with... yet the movie trailer shows a bunch of oh-so-cool FX and makes fighting demons look like a real barrel of laffs. The only true-to-comic moment was when the woman asked John if he'd help her, and he just points to the door with cig and booze in hand.

Neodore... heh, I kill me.

Guest DVD Spree

Here's the thing with Iron Fist: Ray Park as badass, fuck-em-up machine is good. Ray Park in any scene where he has to act (or, more specifically, SPEAK) is bad. Dude is the martial arts, movie star equivalent of David Beckham.

Here's the thing with Iron Fist: Ray Park as badass, fuck-em-up machine is good. Ray Park in any scene where he has to act (or, more specifically, SPEAK) is bad. Dude is the martial arts, movie star equivalent of David Beckham.

He married the least talented person of a five-member girl group?

Guest sideofpoetry

He married the least talented person of a five-member girl group?

Don't forget most anorexic.

The Watchmen should never be made into a movie. There's no director out there that could cover the little nuances about WM that Alan Moore was able to cover in 12 issues. Leave it alone.