TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Ask Al Time

Oh, and Al you should take 3 questions from the board, and answer them in your weekly column.

It'll be a few weeks, but I will likely make it a part of my regular column this season. Its been well received.

Who's still available in terms of good FA starting pitchers and what are the chances the Orioles will actually sign one?

Nothing. There are five free agent starters left. Andy Ashby is 38, and pitched two innings last year. Pedro Astacio (36) pitched 27 innings, 9 for the Red Sox, and compiled a gaudy 10.38 ERA in the process. Omar Daal I'm sure you're familiar with. He missed all of last season. Darren Oliver is available. He does not have good numbers, but he seems to survive. Todd Van Poppel boasts a 5.58 ERA. None of these guys are worth more than a minor league contract and Spring Training invite. The Orioles are better off promoting pitchers from AAA.

Also, do you think Peter Angelos is even trying to get the O's in contention, because I kinda have the feeling that he figures he can't compete with the Red Sox and Yankees, so he just signs a couple big name guys every year that he figures will get fans to the ballpark.

Angelos can compete with the Yankees and Red Sox, and his payrolls matched theirs until five years ago. There is real concern that MLB will hand Angelos a guaranteed revenue clause as settlement for the Nationals moving to D.C. If that happens, Angelos would not need to field a competitive team to turn a profit, and that could prove disasterous. Angelos knows Camden Yards is a draw, and that alone makes his team profitable, regardless of win/loss records. The problem is the team is not good enough to sustain attendance on its own. I do think the Orioles are making an effort, but they had extremely bad luck last year, and they just missed out on free agents this year.

How about --- when will the Braves finally get a real 1st baseman?

Adam Laroche hit 278/333/488 as a rookie, and looks good enough to play full time and collect around 25 home runs a season. If for some reason Laroche is not good enough, Andy Marte is a top 3B prospect on his way to AAA Richmond. He could force Chipper Jones to 1B, or play first himself. Also, OF prospect Jeff Francoeur has superstar potential.

I don't think David Bush is ROY eligible. He was called up in July and pitched almost 100 innings.

Correct. I knew one of the Blue Jays was a strong candidate, and I think its Russ Adams.

Do you think the Red Sox will trade Hanley Ramirez now that they have Renteria for 4 years?

Not yet. I think the Red Sox will consider Hanley Ramirez as their best second base option if and when Mark Bellhorn departs, and depending how he hits Triple A pitching this season.