TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kkktookmybabyaway

Madden '05 question

OK, so I'm in my first off-season and I come across the Restricted Free Agent pool. I think I know what this means, but I want to make sure:

These guys are rookies with their first expired contracts. You have a chance to sign them, but if you give them an offer, another team can compete in a bidding war. You can do the same if another team makes an offer to one of their RFAs. If you don't take the chance to sign your RFAs, you have to re-sign them in the "Re-sign players" step in off-season mode at a probable higher price, if you want to re-sign them at all. Also, if you sign a really good player, you have to give up some draft picks. Am I right in all this?...

Well, what I did was sign Brian Westbrook from the Rams (I did a fantasy draft) and gave up a 1st and 3rd round pick for him. I'm content becuase Brian is a great speed/receiving back and is a good combination with LaMont Jordan, who I use as a "power" back. I gave my other two restricted free agents low-figure contracts, but one was a backup tackle and the other is my third DT on my depth chart, and two teams offered them a buttload of money so I just let them go.

Now here's a question. How good does a player have to be for you to give up draft picks to sign him? Is there a certain ratings threshold? Also, I was looking into stealing a teams backup strong safety but I would also have to give up a first and third round pick. Now, if I tried to lure that guy away, what would have happened to my attempt at courting Westbrook, whose compensation was the same as the strong safety?...

You would only be able to get one or the other unless you had more than 1 first rounders and 3rd rounders. If you have 3 1st round picks and 4 3rd round picks, then you would be able to get 3 RFA's. No rating threshold. Whoever you sign the RFA from is gonna get a 1st round and 3rd round pick automatically.

But I didn't get any compensation for my two crappy players that got signed away from me. And I noticed some other players didn't require compensation when other teams signed them away. BTW: What do you have your sliders/diff. level set at?...

But I didn't get any compensation for my two crappy players that got signed away from me. And I noticed some other players didn't require compensation when other teams signed them away. BTW: What do you have your sliders/diff. level set at?...

I'm All-Madden. With my sliders at:

Human: One notch past middle

AI: One notch behind middle.

Did you know you still had rights to those players that were signed away? Simply offer them a better deal.

Yeah, I know but I really didn't want them. I found better and cheaper replacements.

I'm a puss. I do All-Pro and jacks the AI defense awareness, knockdowns and something else about 4-5 notches. I also put down both mine and the AI's field goal kicking power a few notches as well as completely move to the left field goal accuracy. In addition, the AI's pass protection is moved down and running ability is moved up...

I just wanted a somewhat realistic game. With 6 minute quarters, those settings I had for mine causes for a very realistic game (scores being like 28-21 or 17-14, though I still blowout crappy teams) as well as personal stats being realistic (averaging about 250 yards a game passing and 100 yards rushing)