TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Heavy Metal and subgenre description

Based off your top five, which show you're largely a power and "opera" metal fan, I'm not sure if you would like PL, especially based off your opinion on their live performance. One caveat is, much like Frank Zappa, they never keep the same sound for more than two albums or so and really like to change things up... one of the reasons I love them, but can be a turnoff for quite a few.

PL discography

Three stylistically different starting points - Draconian Times, One Second and Paradise Lost. Check out those three and we'll go from there based on what you like.

As for Nightwish, I actually enjoy them and would certainly put Wishmaster or Once (probably the former) on my top 20 list for this decade. Unfortunately, as with many bands before them, the fallout and split with Tarja has proven a problem for both sides. Tarja's solo effort was awful, and I disagree strongly with the internet metal communities love for DPP. I didn't like that one at all. The new singer's (whose name I can't even bother to look up) voice fails miserably as far as working with the old-style epic songs. Much as it pains me to say this, this is one case where a metal band taking a "poppier" direction might be a good thing, as her voice was much better suited for those types of songs off DPP.

Thanks for the info. I'll hit up Blogspot later and see if I can get hold of those PL albums.

I feel the same way regarding Tarja's solo album. "I Walk Alone" was a good effort, but dear lord the rest of that album is horrible beyond imagination. I don't know what she was thinking with "Poison".

I enjoyed DPP. It was a dramatic change for Nightwish, but I thought it was one of the better albums I bought last year (the one track I really detested was "Meadows of Heaven"). "The Poet and the Pendulum" is one of my favorite tracks from them, and Marco is going a good job maintaining the epic metal sound they have while Annette does the "poppy" vocals. IMO, Annette does a decent enough job adding her own vocal style to some of the classic NW stuff in concert, such as "Wish I Had an Angel", "Nemo", and "Ever Dream".

My picks

5.) Atheist

4.) Agalloch

3.) Godflesh

2.) Electric Wizard

1.) Death

5) Nevermore

4) Machine Head

3) Mastodon

2) Akercocke

1) Death

Now, since we're all big Death fans, album rankings? Mine looks something like this.

6) Scream Bloody Gore

5) Individual Thought Patterns

4) The Sound of Perseverance

3) Human

2) Symbolic

1) Leprosy

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Oh man, ranking Death albums?

Leprosy

Symbolic

Scream Bloody Gore

The Sound of Perseverance

Human

Individual Thought Patterns

Spiritual Healing

That's hard.

I only have Leprosy and The Sounds of Perseverance. I feel ashamed.

Ah...Nevermore...anybody actually pick up This Godless Endeavour after that atrocity known as Enemies of Reality? Amazing return. I'd say it's on par with Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart in a Dead World, if not better. "Born (Retribution of Spiritual Sickness)" is such a perfect fucking Nevermore song it's hilarious.

Well, if we're talking Death albums

7.) Scream Bloody Gore

6.) Spiritual Healing

5.) Leprosy

4.) Sound of Perseverance

3.) Symbolic

2.) Individual Thought Patterns

1.) Human

Pestilence were an underrated band.

Other than Cryptopsy, Death and Nile I have zero knowledge of death metal.

My five favourite bands with a gun to my head

Iron Maiden

Megadeth

Dio

Testament

Mastodon

Ah...Nevermore...anybody actually pick up This Godless Endeavour after that atrocity known as Enemies of Reality? Amazing return. I'd say it's on par with Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart in a Dead World, if not better. "Born (Retribution of Spiritual Sickness)" is such a perfect fucking Nevermore song it's hilarious.

TGE is on my Top 20 Metal CDs of the 00's (so far), for sure

As for EOR, did you only dislike it because of the awful muddled production of the first release? If so, they did release a properly produced version of the CD at the same time as TGE.

I couldn't even listen to the muddled version more than once, but the proper version is a good CD. Not as good as the albums prior and succeeding it, but good nonetheless

I just didn't care for any of the songs on it. The "big" single off it was the sub-par "I, Voyager," which was basically a reminder of early (read: pretty fucking lame) Nevermore. The s/t is only really listenable for "What Tomorrow Knows" and "Garden of Grey." In Memory EP and Politics of Ecstasy are rather forgettable, IIRC (only listened to them, never owned them), and Dreaming is solid but, really, doesn't hold up too well to repeated listenings. Dead Heart is still great, though, and Godless is pure brilliance. Warrel's solo stuff isn't bad, but...yeah.

Anybody else looking forward to checking out Get Thrashed?

I just didn't care for any of the songs on it. The "big" single off it was the sub-par "I, Voyager," which was basically a reminder of early (read: pretty fucking lame) Nevermore. The s/t is only really listenable for "What Tomorrow Knows" and "Garden of Grey." In Memory EP and Politics of Ecstasy are rather forgettable, IIRC (only listened to them, never owned them), and Dreaming is solid but, really, doesn't hold up too well to repeated listenings. Dead Heart is still great, though, and Godless is pure brilliance. Warrel's solo stuff isn't bad, but...yeah.

You know so much about nothing at all!

Dreaming is their second-heaviest album behind Enemies of Reality. Now, just because Enemies is heavy doesn't mean it's good, this being Job For A Cowboy's Law, and I don't care for it myself. Dead Heart's nothing special, though, and Politics and the self-titled are good if you're into Jeff and Warrel's old band, Sanctuary.

I listened to Scream Bloody Gore yesterday, and yeah... I like it too. It's not as technical but it's still fucking heavy.

Currently listening to Slowly We Rot. Old school Florida metal: seriously fucking brutal.

Gates of Slumber's Conquerer just knocked Nachtmystium's Assassins off as my best metal album of he year pick. Doom Metal with Conan the Barbarian references=awesome.

I listened to Scream Bloody Gore yesterday, and yeah... I like it too. It's not as technical but it's still fucking heavy.

Currently listening to Slowly We Rot. Old school Florida metal: seriously fucking brutal.

Obituary was actually tainted for me by Six Feet Under. The first SFU album, Haunted, is just loaded to the gills with Obituary riffs (considering the guitarist from Obituary was the guitarist for SFU; Allen West, IIRC), so whenever I do hear old Obituary I'm just like "yeah...meh..." Which sucks, because I really would like to get into them more.

I'm glad NCM can tell me what my favorite bands should be

Suffocation is allright, but they're nowhere near my top five overall, and probably not even in my top five just for death metal. Let's see

Death

Obituary

Opeth

Dark Tranquility

Morbid Angel

Okay, if I flesh it out to ten, they'd be in the 6-10 somewhere

My top erm, 3 metal bands:

3. Dream Theatre

2. Mastodon

1. Black Sabbath

I get the idea that I would quite like heavy metal (as a whole) if I just sampled more of it. I don't have any desire to hear anything that is played past a certain speed though.

Or to...well, all of the stuff I like is fast...uhhh...Demolition Hammer's Time Bomb album is kinda slow and groovy, though...their worst, but it's better than a lot of recent shit.

Okay...so what's everybody's opinion on this deathcore shyte? Animosity, Despised Icon, Job For A Cowboy, and The Red Chord all have their moments, but it just seems like everybody else (and even these four) aren't even really trying to push their own boundaries. Seems like most newer bands just relax and record the same shit over and over again.