TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Heavy Metal and subgenre description

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Good lord, how can you not like Bolt Thrower? Bolt Thrower are fucking gods. Carcass are fucking gods. Hail Bolt Thrower and Carcass.

I'm not crazy about Obituary, either. The four Florida death bands Slayer mentioned:

Death>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Deicide>>Morbid Angel>Obituary.

Morbid Angel is worthy of discussion. Anyone else kind of view them as an entry-level death band? Does their great stuff outweight the shit? Is Trey Azagthoth a jackoff?

I would view Deicide as the entry-level death metal band, if anything. Back when I was 20 and first getting into DM and starting with the Florida bands, I thought their whole "Fuck God, Fuck Christians, etc" schtick was awesome to throw back in the face of the pious people I didn't get along with, but now at 28 it just falls flat with me and I've found plenty of other bands that have done the anti-Christian/anti-religion angle much better and more intelligently than Glen Benton's perpetually adolescent rage against the heavens. As for the actual music, the first two albums are classic, the second two are decent, and everything after Serpents I just can't listen to anymore. It doesn't also help when Benton uses various studio effects to try and make his voice "scarier" or, in more recent years, to cover for his age and inability to growl anymore

It is funny though, thinking about MA as an entry-level band, since that was the only death metal song ("God of Emptiness") I ever heard on mainstream radio, back when the Wichita alternative/metal station used to have the Z-Rock 50 on Sunday nights in the early-mid 90's. It didn't get me into DM and actually elicited laughs among metal friends of mine with the "Bow to me faithfully, bow to me splendidly" line (which was also later lampooned on Beavis and Butthead). Later on, when I purchased Covenant, I would still laugh at it, but otherwise that was a damn good CD imo. I'm not as big on the Tucker albums but I love the four Vincent albums so much that MA has always had a spot on my top five DM list (as noted earlier this thread)

Yeah, MA are entry level. In fact they are likely the first death metal band I ever heard... on Beavis and Butthead. Butthead (re: the vocals): "Is that a bear?"

I think the only bands they flat-out 100% loved on B&B were Gwar and White Zombie. Hard not to love both, too.

I'd actually call Nile entry-level death, too. At first, the whole use of eastern scales with fast and heavy music is interesting, as well as the lyrics being all about Egyptian history and mythology. Then...well, let's just say that after discovering Dying Fetus and Death, Nile actually seems pretty fucking tame and gimmick-y (but not over-the-top gimmick-y like Gwar, thus making them not as fun).

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I felt the same way until I revisited them. Nile is fuckin' sick. That drummer is on a whole 'nother level, and everybody else in the band is sharp. That snare roll that drops into the guitar solo on "Unas.." Yes sir.

Guest Vitamin X

Nile is amazing, and a great way to introduce people to death metal. The whole "fuck god, corpses rotting guts" thing doesn't appeal to a lot of people, but I remember a couple friends of mine that came over to my house when I lived in Miami- all guys who were heavy into hip-hop and rap and they were talking about how hardcore rap can be.. I played them Nile and one of my friends just sat there, mouth agape, eyes shining like he had never been exposed to something more awesome in his entire life.

Of course, I played "Unas.." and every time he came over afterwards he was like, "YO DAWG PLAY DAT NILE SHIT! DAT SHIT IS FUCKIN HAAAAARD, NIGGA!!"

Also busted out some Cryptopsy (non shitty early stuff here), which they appreciated but not as much as Nile.

Nile is amazing, and a great way to introduce people to death metal. The whole "fuck god, corpses rotting guts" thing doesn't appeal to a lot of people, but I remember a couple friends of mine that came over to my house when I lived in Miami- all guys who were heavy into hip-hop and rap and they were talking about how hardcore rap can be.. I played them Nile and one of my friends just sat there, mouth agape, eyes shining like he had never been exposed to something more awesome in his entire life.

Of course, I played "Unas.." and every time he came over afterwards he was like, "YO DAWG PLAY DAT NILE SHIT! DAT SHIT IS FUCKIN HAAAAARD, NIGGA!!"

Also busted out some Cryptopsy (non shitty early stuff here), which they appreciated but not as much as Nile.

Christ, I wish I had more friends like that. My roomates last year listened to nothing but Dragonslayer and Dream Theatre, and hated it when I blarred Nile, though one of them did like Cynic and Death, and they all loved thrash metal, so it wasn't that bad. But how they could like that but hate Nile is beyond me.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Let's watch some outrageous death metal drummers, since death and grind is all about the drums, no matter what the guitarists think.

John Longstreth, from Origin:

Flo Mounier

Hate to break up the 200 BPM drumfest, but I just read on my regular metal news website that Shadow Gallery vocalist Mike Baker died on Wednesday from heart disease

Dunno who else on this board has heard of SG (he also did guest work on some other albums), but he was an amazing singer IMO

Ok, better Candlemass album:

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

or

Nightfall

I'm inclined to go with Nightfall.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I have no idea why those guys never got huge. They're completely accessible, as far as metal goes, y'know?

That reminds me, I need to get Pagan Terrorism Tactics in the future. Is it as good or better than When the Kite String Pops?

I prefer PTT, as "Dead Girl" is my favorite song on either album, but I'd think most would consider the two albums to be, at the least, comparable.

I'd say they're on pretty even grounds, as far as overall quality goes. I prefer Paegan, if only for "13 Fingers" and "Venus Blue." I know Agent prefers Kite due to its variety (which I can't argue with, as there is a much wider variety of songs on Kite than on Paegan), so it's really up to your personal preference.

I found a Demolition Hammer anthology last Friday. It has all 3 LPs on it - Tortured Existence, Epidemic of Violence, and Time Bomb - with Epidemic split halfway between the first and second disc, and the billfold has an introduction by John Kevill (Warbringer) and Marco Barbieri (Century Media Records consultant). It's still amazing the drop-off in quality between Epidemic of Violence and Time Bomb, but hot damn those first two are some great, Grade A+ thrash.

51253_216.jpg

Highly recommended.

Anybody else gearing up for Cannibal Corpse's new album, Evisceration Plague, in February?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

They're really even. I like whichever one I'm listening to the most. If you like one, you'll surely like the other.

"Dead Girl" is a good track, but I prefer the electric version on Agents of Oblivion, which I also like equally as much as both Acid Bath releases.

I think my favorite is either "The Bones of Baby Dolls" or "Jezebel", depending on my mood. The former because for whatever reason it's just a good sing-a-long song for me, and the latter because it's just so goddamn heavy. I haven't really listened to Paegan that much yet.

I also am digging this Agents of Oblivion thing. "Endsmouth" is a dang good song.

I'm listening to Agents of Oblivion at the moment. Yeah, I'm totally buying this in the future.

I've been listening to a lot of older Doom Metal lately. Examples:

Saint Vitus

The Obsessed

Witchfinder General

Pentagram

Pagan Altar

Coroner deserve some love here. No More Color and Mental Vortex are flat out great albums. Plus, MV has a cover of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

Guest Agent of Oblivion

It's also Doom season for me, too, so expect me to gush about Electric Wizard an awful lot the next couple of weeks.

Dopethrone is must-listen material for anyone even remotely metal-inclined. It's a masterpiece.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Hey, speaking of Electric Wizard, have you ever head Eternal? Maybe even heavier and more sluggish. Vocals are really raw, though. The effects and shit Oborn uses with Wiz is way more listenable.