TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Heavy Metal and subgenre description

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've got to break up this melodic circlejerk here with some Nasum

This song at Milwaukee Metalfest was easily the most violent crowd I've ever seen.

Shame Mieszko got Tsunami-ed.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

YYYEEEEEAAAAARRRRGHHHHHH!!!!

Next time I get into a fight, I want Nasum as the soundtrack. Could listen to these guys before any battle and I'd be guaranteed to win.

I picked up the bonus edition of The Crown's Possessed 13 last night, with the bonus disc featuring a pair of their EPs and some other songs, and also grabbed Kataklysm's Shadows and Dust. I fucking love Kataklysm, man. So fucking solid.

Also...I bought me one of these:

b-c-rich-platinum-beast-guitar-black.jpg

Only not the Platinum series, but rather the Bronze series, so the neck's a little different. Got a $100 card to Guitar Center from my girl's dad, and this was only $150 due to a small chunk of paint missing from the bottom right "wing" of the body. Neck's a little bent due to no string tension (low calibre strings, untuned, on there), so I threw on a pack of 10-52's and I'm going to re-adjust the action on Sunday.

I've never had a problem playing any BC Rich besides the clear-body Warlock. THOSE fuckers are both heavy and obnoxious to play, and apparently they fall apart rather easily once the glue starts to dry too much to boot. In fact, I think the only guitars I've ever been genuinely uncomfortable playing have been a Gibson Flying-V and a 7-string version of the ones that John 5 sponsored big when he joined Marilyn Manson back in the late 90's.

Guest Vitamin X

I never cared much for Leviathan, personally. Thought it was really overrated and part of it was just straight up bad. I like Agalloch being near the top of floyd's list, though. Really dig them.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't have a problem with it or anything, but I like the albums before and after it a LOT more.

That cover of "One"* Mastodon did for that video game commercial was a godawful piece of shit and makes me slightly apprehensive about the new album.

* A small portion of the blame shall be lifted from Mastodon for the fact that, be it the original by Harry Nilsson or covers by Three Dog Night, Aimee Mann, or anyone else, "One" just isn't a good song.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Think they'll continue with the elemental theme they had going with the last three?

I never cared much for Leviathan, personally. Thought it was really overrated and part of it was just straight up bad. I like Agalloch being near the top of floyd's list, though. Really dig them.

Agalloch's LP's are awesome, though the EP's tend to be hit and miss. They're pretty much my favorite Black Metal band.

I really should have added Reverend Bizarre's In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend to that list. Eh, I'll just replace and album, or do another tie

Think they'll continue with the elemental theme they had going with the last three?

I've heard the next one will be another concept album, but I don't know if it's element themed.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'd kind of like to see them go longform on a song on the next one. They have the chops and the influence to go all Isis-y for 15-20 minutes. They basically did on Leviathan, but they're a better band now than they were then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_the_Skye

When asked in multiple interviews Dailor said the record would tell a story dealing variously with the art aesthetics of Tsarist Russia, astral travel, out of body experiences and Stephen Hawking's theories on wormholes.

"The story starts with a seed and it grows. It´s a multidemensional story. It starts on planet earth, it deals with astral travel, goes to outer space, you get lost and you go on into a wormhole and you start exploring all sorts of Stephen Hawking's theories, space continuum and all that, you go into the spirit realm, you get sucked into another wormhole that brings you into Tsarist Russia and you get put inside Rasputin´s body and Rasputin is assassinated and you fly off through the crack in the skye and back through outer space into the devil´s dominion, passed him, back into earth and into your body. It´s all real natural and it all kind of comes together. We like it. "

Doesn't seem any more ridiculous than the storyline of Blood Mountain.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Averse Sefira is fuckin' awesome. Not much to say about the other two, having never heard either band before, and not being impressed with those samples.

Agalloch's LP's are awesome, though the EP's tend to be hit and miss. They're pretty much my favorite Black Metal band.

Agalloch ain't Black Metal. Never been, never will be. They have some stuff that's nice to listen to though.

Click for the next logical step after Slayer, mixed with well measured usage of European styled Metal theatrics.

MOTHERFUCKING ABSU

Pillars Of Mercy

Stone Of Destiny

Also, Absu have the best track names out of any English speaking North American band, period. This is the listing for their new album.

01. Between The Absu Of Eridu & Erech

02. Night Fire Canonization

03. Amy

04. Nunbarshegunu

05. 13 Globes

06. …Of The Dead Who Never Rest In Their Tombs Are The Attendance Of Familiar Spirits…Including:

A.) Diversified Signs Inscribed

B.) Our Earth Of Black

C.) Voor

07. Magic(k) Square Cipher

08. In The Name Of Auebothiabathabaithobeuee

09. Girra's Temple

10. Those Of The Void Will Re-Enter

11. Sceptre Command

12. Ye Uttuku Spells

13. Twix Yesterday, The Day & The Morrow

whose credibility has eroded to nil over the years

You listen to Paradise Lost by choice.

Yes, and what? Would attacking my Manowar fandom have been too easy a route?

And "by choice"? What exactly does that mean, anyway... as if I could listen to a band not by choice? Okay, maybe I can understand involuntary subjugation to music, like when your mom used to drive you around wherever in Canada you lived in the late 80's and subjugated you to her "Best of MTV Metal Vol 2" cassette tape, complete with Winger, Trixter and Stryper all in one set, giving rise to the elitist fuckhead that we know today, but otherwise it doesn't really strengthen your already tenuous argument there

Besides, you listen to a neurotic racist murderer fuckhead who can't produce for shit. By choice, I suppose

You're a disgrace. Go away

Remember when I ripped on Burzum, and Tack got upset? Him going on about "Jewish Propaganda" was amazingly predictable.

Also, I was fucking horrible back then.

And "by choice"? What exactly does that mean, anyway... as if I could listen to a band not by choice? Okay, maybe I can understand involuntary subjugation to music, like when your mom used to drive you around wherever in Canada you lived in the late 80's and subjugated you to her "Best of MTV Metal Vol 2" cassette tape, complete with Winger, Trixter and Stryper all in one set, giving rise to the elitist fuckhead that we know today, but otherwise it doesn't really strengthen your already tenuous argument there

Just meant that you listen to a pretty bad band. Ain't no big thing. We all do. What happened though, dude? You used to be so chill about my cute little barbs.

Remember when I ripped on Burzum, and Tack got upset? Him going on about Jewish Propaganda" was amazingly predictable.

Also, I was fucking horrible back then.

Mutual masterbation. Doesn't really mean much in the end, but there's not much cleanup involved, and both parties get what they want :)

Also, Absu have the best track names out of any English speaking North American band, period. This is the listing for their new album.

01. Between The Absu Of Eridu & Erech

02. Night Fire Canonization

03. Amy

04. Nunbarshegunu

05. 13 Globes

06. …Of The Dead Who Never Rest In Their Tombs Are The Attendance Of Familiar Spirits…Including:

A.) Diversified Signs Inscribed

B.) Our Earth Of Black

C.) Voor

07. Magic(k) Square Cipher

08. In The Name Of Auebothiabathabaithobeuee

09. Girra's Temple

10. Those Of The Void Will Re-Enter

11. Sceptre Command

12. Ye Uttuku Spells

13. Twix Yesterday, The Day & The Morrow

Should have saved "Amy" for the very end. Would have been a cute little punchline.

Guest Czecherbear

I wonder if Slayer's dad was the kind of friendly but firm father figure who, when he really had to, could just flip the switch and put the motherfucking fear of God into an errant son, but only did it once in a blue moon because 1) to do so more frequently would devalue the event and 2)he didn't have to do it frequently. That's what I feel like when Slayer smacks somebody down like that. It's out of f'n nowhere like Shelton Benjamin and makes me cry.

dimestore Invision board psychoanalysiser i mean BOARDING HARRRRDDDDDDDD

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, Ved Buens Ende's Written In Waters is fucking great.

Hmmm...to go back to the days of being a Bolt messageboard elitist, or to just go "hey pal, wrong thread"...hrmmmm...

Anyways, here's some North American release dates for the first quarter of '09 (as referenced in the "2009: A Year in Music" thread). I'm just going to post the ones I'm most excited about:

January 13

Short Sharp Shock - The Dividing Line

Stuck Mojo - The Great Revival

February 3

Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague

Zombi - Spirit Animal (don't really know why it's listed under metal releases)

February 24

God Forbid - Earthsblood (though I never got Act of Treason, so this may just be a skip over)

Absu - Absu (if I can even find some of their stuff up here, because Newbury Comics never has any of their shit)

There's also the rumored new Anthrax with their new singer, as well as the possibility of new Fear Factory.