TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Amazing Rando

Because I am forced to listen to it everyday...

Pharcyde is awesome ... Fat Lip's solo stuff is really good, too.

They're not wicked popular on TSM but both The Streets and Dizzee Razcal are listenable.

And a lot of the "old-school" gangsta rap is actually pretty tame now, so either PE or NWA might be appropriate.

Guest El Satanico

Mos Def

Talib Kweli

Common

Warren G

Swollen Members: may be pushing it on stuff you don't want to hear.

You'd love Smut Peddlers and Bushwick Bill

If you listen to NWA - Straight Outta Compton you gotta realize that this is something of a news broadcast from what was then a completely unrepresented segment of society, if you don't think its good music - which I can't fucking believe, but everyone has their opinions - then it can at least be appreciated for it's social impact.

That being said Hip-Hop is so evolved at this point that theres a little bit of something for everyone out there.

Someone mentioned "Atmosphere" in a negative way, but whatever, hes a good rapper and hes got some great songs. Another popular "college rapper" is Aesop Rock, I would recomend anything off of Bullet Tooth or Labor Days by him, especially the song "Jumper Cables." Good, solid hip-hop. Along the same intelectual hip-hop lines you've got Talib Kweli and Mos' Def', and their mutual incarnation, Gang Starr. Tribe Called Quest, J5 and the Roots fall under the same massively broad blanket, as well. Everyone's got their own take on it, and you'll have to figure out which among them you like. For Tribe Called Quest listen to Bonita Applebottom and Scenario, for The Roots listen to What They Do, Concerto of Desparado, for J5 listen to Whats Golden, Jurass Finish First, Monkey Bars

I don't know what sort of music you normally listen to, but artists like Daedelus and RJD2 incorporate ALL sorts of shit into their music. I wouldn't call it rap, but it falls under the Hip-Hop umbrella

Dalek infuses industrial and ambient music into their songs, if you throw some Dalek on around a dickhead wearing a FuBu shirt you're gonna change their perception of rap music. Check out "Forever Close My Eyes" or "Black Smoke Rises" by Dalek.

Groups like Michael Franti and Spearhead and Latyrx mix a lot of funk into their music, so much so that some of their songs can barely be called hip-hop.

I hope this helps, if you want to talk anymore about hip hop and you can hit me up on AIM, my name is Sticky McJew on there, same goes for everyone, I love hearing new music, and I've got plenty to share.

If you listen to NWA - Straight Outta Compton you gotta realize that this is something of a news broadcast from what was then a completely unrepresented segment of society

Well, at the risk of being redundant, it was preceded by Criminal Minded. Although there wasn't any explicit mention of gangs there, so it does have it's place in history as well.

Guest Coffey

8 Ball & Scarface ;)

..both of which are probably too "gangsta" (as you put it) for you.

Even though he probably won't like it, check out GZA, RZA, and Raekwon.

And I agree with C-Bacon, definitly check out K-Os.

If you want something funny, download Check The O.R. by Organized Rhyme. So bad its good. BTW the second verse in the song is Tom Green.

Guest theanswer1824

mf doom and all his other aliases (he has so many). he has numerous cds.

solesides' greatest bumps

nas - street's disciple (second disc is mostly about life and marriage. good break from all the violent shit you hear).

alchemist - 1st infantry (imo, better than kanye, just blaze, etc. as far as production. he only raps on two songs but this cd is hot).

De La Soul - 3 ft. High & Rising

A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels & The Paths of Rhythm

Common - Resurrection

Digable Planets - Reachin'

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here

This is the epitome of anti-gangsta

And Slick Rick's "The Great Adventures of Slick Rick" is pure, goofy, old school fun

Gotta second the Kanye West mention. The College Dropout is an amazing album.

Also, before you totally right off Jay Z, check out DJ Danger Mouse's Grey Album. It's lyrics from Jay Z's Black Album with beats from the Beatles White Album. Another great CD.

Also, despite being Canadian, I haven't heard K-os' latest album. However, the "Crab Bucket" single is decent, if not for the only reason being that he mentions the Tragically Hip, but I'm really starting to dig his latest single "Back into the man I used to be" which is very heavily influenced by Pink Floyd.

What is some good threatening, "hardcore", abusive rap? The "hardest of the hard" if you will.

BOSS was the gangster bitch that Lil Kim and Foxy Brown wanted to emulate.