TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Secret Agent

Clusterfuck Comments

Congrats to all the winners of this PPV.

However, I must place my gripe. I'm not taking anything away from Maddix, but the winning CF match clocked in at 15,530 words. I wouldn't gripe about this if the head of CC hadn't posted the following little beauty himself:

WORD LIMIT: 15000. This was done for several reasons. CC understands that many writers feel that they simply don't have the time to write a match long enough to compete, and this discourages them. With this word limit, we're trying to level the playing field, so to speak, so that some writers who may have less time will attempt to write instead of preemptively throwing in the towel. If you go over 15,000 words, it had better be the best fucking thing you have ever written, and it had better blow everyone else's match out of the water. Also, if you go too far over the limit, that's a slap in the face and we will auto-job you -- and writing that much only to get autojobbed is not fun

I wish I would have known the word limit didn't mean shit as I could have used an extra 700 words(mine was 14,826) to round out a few things towards the last few eliminations. Next time don't post a word limit if we can blow past it. I'd also like to actually get some feedback from MVS and not a "Placeholder for feedback" that never gets filled in with anything like the Toxxic/Maddix Slay Ride comments.

so I've been able to cut my finished match down to 15.5k. So, drama over, I guess I'll be showing after all. Otherwise I wouldn't have done because lord knows if I won with a match 1k over limit, SOMEBODY would have taken issue.

Who had Johnny in the pool?

Oh, Muzz. Congrats. You win a Pepsi MAX...

...and a gun.

I'm guessing Landon's glad he didn't decide to no-show. I'll attempt to comment once i read everything, from what i've read so far (up to entrant #7) it's good stuff, better than the crud i had managed to put together at least, not that that says very much.

And on a personal note i'm glad Stryke was in the final three and not a Bushwacker Luke elimination like i expected, every year Stryke's gone a little closer to winning so following the trend that should make me a shoe-in for Clusterfuck 2006!

Spike summed up my thoughts.

Actually, kinda. Johnny had the courtesy to PM me and say his comments were no knock on me and I'm glad he did, otherwise you just know I'd be ranting right now.

He has a point. Then again, Sacred's World Title winning match was over limit. But, he does have a point.

But, that's why I nearly no-showed. Because the word limit was always going to cause problems for someone, be it the person writes over limit and wins and/or the person who has trouble with the limit, does his best, and finds out someone over limit won. I was never pro-limit myself, as ya'll know. I do kinda feel bad for winning because I did go over limit. And I don't blame Johnny for being miffed. I'm sure he won't be the only one either.

Then again...

w00t~! Clusterfuck Champ, muthafuckers~!

Congrats to all the winners, especially Landon. Going over by 500 with a word limit so big is acceptable IMO.

With my Title match I made sure to ask how much was too much, and edited accordingly.

Congrats to Sacred for retaining, and to Dace for finally getting one back. And an extra-emphatic congratulations for Landon on winning the 'Fuck; helluva match!

However, you do realize, of course, that the next time you whine about a word limit, I'm going to beat your skull in with a golf club, right?

We're reluctant, of course, to say that "exactly this many words over the limit is the autojob limit" because that doesn't accomplish anything - it just creates a different word limit.

I can't speak for Mike, but I for one (and I'm following precedent here - at least Zed is on record the same way) am reluctant to autojob someone. Let's take a look at Sacred vs. Landon for the belt as an example, since Landon seems to really hold a grudge about it.

By my word count, which I did after Landon brought it to my attention, Sacred was +/- 150 words over, or 2.5% over the limit. Landon was 79 words over, if I recall correctly - he certainly was over the limit as well, even if it was only ~1.3% over as compared to Sacred's 2.5%. Neither word limit violation was egregious, especially in light of the other. Now, had Sacred written a 6150-word match against a Landon 6000-word match, and Sacred's match had been only slightly better, or the matches were equal, that would give cause to consider the word limit in the decision. (Of course, if Landon's match was the better match, then the word limit doesn't come into play at all in this situation.) However, as it stands, Sacred had written a clearly better match, and had Landon written the same match but shaved it down to 6000 without losing any content, I still would have been more comfortable giving it to Sacred.

I didn't mark the Clusterfuck final, but I dare say - especially considering that the word limit paragraph included a certain amount of latitude for exceptionally good matches as a built-in pressure release valve for just this discussion - that Mike had more or less the same thought process going on.

As to why I don't autojob people for writing 6001 words, well, if this were something other than an e-fed, I might. As it stands, though, I have the luxury of considering each match on a case-by-case basis, although I do my best to keep my standards consistent. In a case like Sacred-Landon, concerns like the ones spelled out above come into play. Even in easier cases - think of, say, a 3000-word match where one guy sent in a haiku or a 700-word match, and the other guy wrote 3500 words - you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, when it comes to the fed's reaction. I just do what I can to be transparent about my decisions so that everyone can understand what my standards are, and frankly, I'm inclined to give the duke to the guy who wrote the better match. That requires considering what sort of advantage came from the overrun, whether his opponent could have augmented his match to the same quality with the same overrun, and so forth.

This discussion is immediately relevant to Clusterfuck comments. Further discussion on this topic will not be. To avoid hijacking this thread - which is something we all really need to work on - I'd appreciate it if anyone who wants to continue the discussion on word limits and autojobbing started a thread in the Community forum and continued it there, preferably with a copypaste of this post. Consider this fair warning that hijack posts of this or any other kind will be deleted from this thread or edited to highlight your love for the cock. I'm not trying to be a hardass here, but the Clusterfuck comments thread is for Clusterfuck comments.

I'd just like to point out what SHOULD have happened in the Dace/Toxxic match, as it may come in useful for character development later on. The 'overtime' was meant to be agreed to by BOTH wrestlers, as Toxxic for once was going to acceed to a situation that wouldn't benefit him as he knew Dace would beat him, but was damned if he was going to back down from the crowd and Dace demanding five more minutes. Unfortunately I know Dace was having REAL trouble both with motivation and with finding the time to finish it, and although I'd helped out by doing most of the commentary I was also a bit pressed for time (and Dace said that he wanted to write the end where he finally kicks my arse himself). As a result it may have come over a bit rushed.

As for the 'Fuck - big congrats to Landon, from what I remember of Grappler's winning match last year this compared very well. Some excellent stories in there too, a decent amount of comedy and running jokes. You have my respect for managing to get in a decent 'Fuck in that word limit, I know I'd have struggled.

Finally, Sacred - I haven't have a chance to read the match fully yet as I need to go out this evening, but I skipped to the end to find out who won and it was EXCELLENT. A brilliant plan to get Mak disqualified for beating your brains out, and even the final part where we nail you was very well done indeed. I'll see you soon ;)

Oh, and that JUDGEMENT thing: anyone think Judge might be coming back? And gunning for moi, maybe? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out...

Yeah, match was horrible and it's my fault, for wanting to write it even though I was in no shape to. Sigh, what I get for convincing myself to come back.

Should have been so much better, but oh well. What's new with my matches eh.

Finally, Sacred - I haven't have a chance to read the match fully yet as I need to go out this evening, but I skipped to the end to find out who won and it was EXCELLENT. A brilliant plan to get Mak disqualified for beating your brains out, and even the final part where we nail you was very well done indeed. I'll see you soon ;)

Yeah, we're sorry we didn't get to inform you about it (I say we because Mak and I co-wrote for the most part) but I tred to keep Rev0's presence as quick and painful as possible, and answer the question of course. :)

No problem man, was good to have you back even for a while. Just return to markerman land and enjoy jobbing me :)

Yeah, we're sorry we didn't get to inform you about it (I say we because Mak and I co-wrote for the most part) but I tred to keep Rev0's presence as quick and painful as possible, and answer the question of course. :)

No worries. A decent swerve and well done.

Congrats to all the winners of this PPV.

However, I must place my gripe. I'm not taking anything away from Maddix, but the winning CF match clocked in at 15,530 words. I wouldn't gripe about this if the head of CC hadn't posted the following little beauty himself:

WORD LIMIT: 15000. This was done for several reasons. CC understands that many writers feel that they simply don't have the time to write a match long enough to compete, and this discourages them. With this word limit, we're trying to level the playing field, so to speak, so that some writers who may have less time will attempt to write instead of preemptively throwing in the towel. If you go over 15,000 words, it had better be the best fucking thing you have ever written, and it had better blow everyone else's match out of the water. Also, if you go too far over the limit, that's a slap in the face and we will auto-job you -- and writing that much only to get autojobbed is not fun

I wish I would have known the word limit didn't mean shit as I could have used an extra 700 words(mine was 14,826) to round out a few things towards the last few eliminations. Next time don't post a word limit if we can blow past it. I'd also like to actually get some feedback from MVS and not a "Placeholder for feedback" that never gets filled in with anything like the Toxxic/Maddix Slay Ride comments.

If I did not feel that Maddix's match met the strict criteria, then I would not have picked his match to win. Period. I am sure that any of the other markers would agree with me on this point.

Since you asked, I'll PM you comments on your match when I get time. Given the amount of time I've had recently, however, you may have better luck posting your match in the losing matches thread.

After finally reading Dace's match in full, I must admit that while it wasn't as polished as I expected, the story was well thought out. Reading Toxxic's post adds even more by showing the amount of thought placed in it, even if the execution wasn't there. The actual wrestling wasn't quite MMA, but it gave you a feel of grounding holds meaning more than impact moves. Hell it was a 'pure' wrestling match. The consistant story of Toxxic struggling for breath was told well, although I didn't really notice a connecting story for Toxxic's offence minus the dropkicks and the play up of the Toxxic Shock Syndrome. I assume it was supposed to be quick and high impact vs. methodical submission and striking.

I did like it though. And while Dace is probably his own worst critc for the match, it was worthy of being a last match with the fed... at least for the moment, as nearly everyone comes back.

Scott Pretzeler, is, in my opinion, one of the best ideas for a character I've seen in a while. It's just smart enough to wink at the rest of us, but with the impact that Tom Flesher is having on 'his' show, it has good legs. Snowflake clutch?! Tildebang Driver (!!!) Obsencely funny and welcome to the SWF.

My promo set up the internal story for the ME, so read it bitches... I thought it was pretty straight to the point.

Landon Maddix's CF match was surprising. In that, I didn't know he could write like that. Don't take this as an insult, because you can obviously bring the quality, but your match just made sense. Like, I was reading and thought, damn, this is ridiculous how good this is. It wasn't as funny as SS's or as long with an epic finish as TNT's, but characterization is the hardest part of this match and the way you handled the old-timers, W&D, Rev0 and Martial Law just fit. The match storylines that you built up and then subsequently handled were done extremely well. And I honestly didn't think a CF triple threat could be ended in a believable submission, but you pulled it off. I'll probably comment on the match more in depth at some point or if I ever see you in chat I'll tell you there, but for now, know that this was an excellent match.

Judgement is coming. Toxxic goes out on a limb and says Judge is coming back, but I've got a different idea. The promo was just creepy enough to give me another writers vibe. Normally, only the best promo writers for long ago... Outcast, Edwin, Raynor, Wilson and Silent gave me that creeped out vibe during Stablewars. But this writer seems to be no slouch either. We'll see if this guy can carry the fed on his shoulders much like Atlas in those ancient myths from Greece. That is, if we are to believe his promo.

And for the final match, Muzz, I can't say enough about the tone of the match. I added what I could to the match and finish, but you created something very believable and meaningful around an idea that we put together very quickly. I hope the internal storylines got across to the people reading, as when Muzz co-wrote the match (I say this because I couldn't add as much as I wanted to... found out I had a fever later on) our ideas gelled extremely well, and in my opinion, that is how you write a finish.

Polished...Mak it was a struggle to even write that. Sadly, as I said, it's really not what a wanted, but I dont have the writing spark I used to. But oh well.

Judgement is coming. Toxxic goes out on a limb and says Judge is coming back, but I've got a different idea. The promo was just creepy enough to give me another writers vibe. Normally, only the best promo writers for long ago... Outcast, Edwin, Raynor, Wilson and Silent gave me that creeped out vibe during Stablewars. But this writer seems to be no slouch either. We'll see if this guy can carry the fed on his shoulders much like Atlas in those ancient myths from Greece. That is, if we are to believe his promo.

Well, Judge would be the obvious choice, given the Judgement thing. However, on a second reading it is much more of a heel promo which would not be concurrent with how Judge left. SO I think you could be right Mak (I also think you might know yourself!)

What the fuck. The only thing I can think of that matched the whole 'plague long ago' thing would be the Clan, which given the sudden absence of Thoth from the booking committee might suggest Thoth. Unless it really is Wilson, back from the dead.

What the fuck. The only thing I can think of that matched the whole 'plague long ago' thing would be the Clan, which given the sudden absence of Thoth from the booking committee might suggest Thoth.

That'd be World of Warcraft, unless he was inspired to bring back the clan with his Undead Mage.

In truth, I'm not quite sure... I only have suspicions. But Wilson it's not. I sincerely doubt that. I gave a little hint at my guess, but you'd have to have been around at the time to get it. I'll say no more on the matter, though. Wait and see if I'm correct or not.

Ah. So it's Sean 'Spike' Atlas then, that's what you reckon?

Yeah. And it'd be fabulous if you'd post a little tutorial on How To Write Pete, since the only thing most of them know is to write "bid'ness."