TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vern Gagne

College Hoops

Guest Vern Gagne

It's less than 4 weeks before selection Sunday. Duke and Kansas are the most impressive teams thus far. Kansas beat Texas in a terrific game Monday night.  

Top 4 in each region.

East

1.Duke     2. Oklahoma     3.Kentucky      4.Miami

Midwest

1.Kansas  2.Florida          3.Gonzaga        4.Indiana

South

1.Maryland  2.Alabama     3.Pittsburgh      4.Memphis

West

1.Cincinnati  2.Arizona      3.Marquette      4.UCLA

Guest Blackston

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  I just can't see the Big Ten regular season champion (and probable tournament champion) shunted all the way down to a four seed.  The Big Ten may be down this year, but their conference RPI is still #5 in the country.  Add to that the recent successes in the tournament of Big Ten teams (namely MSU), and I still think that the Big Ten's name carries quite a bit of prestige with the tournament selectors.  I would be surprised if IU weren't a three seed at this point.

Guest CanadianChris

I disagree with Oklahoma being a 2 seed (and the lowest 2 seed, at that).  The Big 12 has been strong enough this season to warrant a second #1 seed at this point.  I would put Oklahoma as either the 1 or 2 seed in the West.  They are definitely not the eighth ranked team in the country, as you have them right now.

Guest Vern Gagne

Oklahoma would be the highest ranked #2. The selection commitee doesn't have the worst #1 and best #2 play. They may not play Duke but that's the first team that came to my head has a #2 seed.

Guest CanadianChris

As I understand it (from listening to Jim Nantz WAY too much every March), that's exactly how it works.  They use an "S" curve to seed the teams, then make adjustments based on conference mates in the same bracket, host universities, etc.  So the worst #1 would play the best #2 in the Elite 8, and the best #1 would play the worst #2.

Guest arejay

If past history is any indication, OU won't make it past the 2nd round anyway. Around these parts, Kelvin Sampson is a good coach, but once the big dance gets here, the Sooners go right down the tubes.  I love 'em, but after enduring so many quick losses early the tournament year after year during Sampson's tenure, they need to show me something this year.

Guest Juvydriver

I was thinking the same thing about OU.  Every year they get in as a 3 or 4 seed and get bounced out early.  I'm really hoping they can get over the hump this year.  

The way they have played, I think they deserve a #1 seed, but I certainly hope they do better than in years past.

Juvy

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

Yeah, unless Lonny Baxter plays like a pussy in the second half and Maryland folds with 8 minutes to go like they did in the last game.

Guest arejay

I'm pulling for Maryland to take it to Duke this time.  At least to shut Vitale up for just a little while.  I think they're going to win it.  Just a feeling I have.

And yeah, I'd like to see OU do something this year also. They lost to OSU last night, but its not as if they had a chance to catch Kansas in the conference standings anyway.

March is coming up fast, can't wait!

Guest Vern Gagne

Kansas would be #1 if Duke loses. You could actually make a case that Duke should still be ahead of Maryland.