TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spliffstar

Weirdest concert experience?

Guest spliffstar

I've had a couple of weird ones myself.   I was at a Pantera concert in minneapolis that was just bizarre.  It started with my friend anna smoking a huge spliff with the singer from the opening act, eyehategod right on stage after their set.

I became completely dehydrated while moshing during the Deftones and White Zombie sets, so I took the long walk up to the top of the Target Center to get some water.  Walking up the aisle, I heard someone yell my name, but due to my chemical intake that evening I considered that I might just be hearing things.  I was not, however, and ran into one of two people I knew in the Twin Cities.  I went and talked to him, and he was getting stoned off a joint so big it deserved to be in a Cheech and Chong movie.  

Moments later, I was in a bit of a daze myseld, and I spaced out on the undulating mass of people on the floor for a while before it hit me that I wanted to be down on the floor for Pantera.  When I got to the floor, I was waaaaaay in the back of the auditorium, and I walked into a scene that would have been right at home in American History X.  It was the scariest Aryan style mosh pit I have ever seen.  Big thick mothafuckers with swastika tats just beating the shit out of each other.  Very weird.

The other show I attended that ranks pretty high on the weirdness meter was the Badly Drawn Boy show in Seattle about a year ago.  Now, this cat has a reputation for being moody, and based on the articles in the local papers, his last appearance in the emerald city was not a good one, as he basically stormed off after a very short set (I think).

Anyway, this gig was at the Showbox, and the audience seemed to be composed of equal parts die-hard fans, and people that were looking for a nexcuse to hate him.

The show starts, and Damon (I think that's his name) busts out every type of rock star cliche you can think of, clearly designed to antagonize the audience.  He tells the audience he'll never come back to town becasue he's so rich, strikes really generic "rock" poses, etc.

Guest spliffstar

goddamn mouse...anyway, Damon keeps doing things that are either designed to piss off the audience (which is how I saw it) or is clearly the biggest asshole on the planet.

He starts to play his most popular tunes, and then cuts off in mid-verse, to start telling some rambling story about his family, or whatever else popped in his mind.

After doing this for about 20 minutes, starting the song, stopping the song, the crowd is getting restless.  Some people start heckling, and Damon just heckles back.  finally, he starts a song again, and stops it to tell another pointless story, and two girls standing about two feet from me become really noticable, as they are talking really loudly.

Incensed, Damon, flips out and starts screaming at them, calling them stupid bitches, and tells them that if they're so goddamn interesting maybe they should tell a story.  So he gives them the mike, and they (not being really bright) just giggled and told him how much he sucked.

He storms off the stage, and the band just looks at each other, like "Not again."

Anyway, the crowd is pissed, as the show has not been long at this point, and some people bounce.  After about 5-10 mintues, though, he returned, and was on his best behavior after that.

Weird show.  Now I realize not everyone would appreciate a concert experience like that, but I thought it was great fun, in a confrontational, Kaufman-esque kind of way.

Guest TUS_02

At the Rolling Rock show, the only movement Aaron Lewis of Staind did to prove to us that he wasn't keeling over puking was when he pointed at some dude throwing his shoes at him.

Also, 2 40 year old sisters were next to me and one of the sisters were up on some dudes shoulders while the other one was yelling at me to slap her ass.  I tried to run away, but that's when I realized..... SHE WAS STANDING ON MY FOOT!  So then I had no other choice to smack a 40 year old in the ass.

Lastly, at a 2 Skinny J's show, during the first wave of excitement as they came on (In a small venue, when everyone tries to move up, but can't... so the crowd makes a wave...) I was near the steel fence barricade and got thrown into it WWF styles and dislocated my shoulder... thankfully, I was knocked into again and it came back into place.

Guest mw679

I was at a show on New Years Eve for the millenium. It was Godsmack, Staind, Revielle and Tree. Anyway I'm with my buddies standing around in the crowd(It was General Admission) and we found a good spot over by the side guard rail. So, Reveille comes on stage and starts their set and there was this one girl that was crowd surfing, she was only about 5'2" or so, if she weighed 100lbs. that would probably be pushing it...so there are these guys moshing and one of the guys was HUGE, he had to be like 6'8", and a solid 260, this guy was like a linebacker. So, the girl happens to surf near the pit and the huge guy picks her up and THROWS her over near where me and my buddies are standing! She ended up hitting her head on the guardrail pretty hard and security picked her up and over the rail...Never saw her again, don't know if she just left the show, of if she stayed, she seemed OK, just a little shaken up. But, man, that was f*cked up, ya know? That's about the craziest one I've experienced. Basically the rest are just drunk assholes being, well, drunk assholes! Good thread, though...

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I went to see Megadeth and Sevendust live. These people, must be in their mid-40's, were sitting next to me and my buddy Steve...and they were getting stoned every other song. I got some fumes off of it...got really thirsty too...

Guest Youth N Asia

Just a couple...Rolling Stones concert for the Bridges to Babalon tour...some drunk jackass starting dancing on the rails in the upper bowl and fell to his death...same place that hosted Wrestlemania III

Black Crows and Jimmy Page concert...this creepy guy was sitting in one of the two empty seats to my left...he sat there for about a half hour making no movements whatsoever...after I while he screamed "F*cking bitch!" as loud as he could and he stormed off...kinda funny actually

Guest erotic jesus

A lot of weird things happened at Edgefest 2000.  Well not so much weird, but different, since I had never been to an outdoor show before.

First of all, the guy in the tech tower would yell at people who threw plastic bottles, until he started to egg people on.  He got pelted very badly, and tried to make a fence around the tower windows with duct tape.  Didn't work.

The time between acts became quite long, close to an hour, and the fans were getting higher, drunker, and more restless...  Things got pretty chaotic between The Tea Party and Creed (who headlined).  The bottle throwing got about ten times heavier, and people were throwing bottles full of piss, and also trying to make some variety of Molotov Cocktail...  except, of course, the bottles were plastic, and they just melted.

People also started fires, and slam dance circles.  It was all very intense, and a little frightening, considering what happened at Woodstock '99, and that was the weekend after those fans died at the Pearl Jam concert.

But then Creed came on, and everything was fine.  Except for the stampede towards the gates...

Also, 2 40 year old sisters were next to me and one of the sisters were up on some dudes shoulders while the other one was yelling at me to slap her ass.  I tried to run away, but that's when I realized..... SHE WAS STANDING ON MY FOOT!  So then I had no other choice to smack a 40 year old in the ass.

Man why didn't you just tell the bitch to get off your damn foot or you'll fuck her up???? You don't have to listen to that bitch.....tell her you'll fight her and kill her ass. Don't be a pussy.

Guest frenziedme

At Metallica, they people behind us smuggled in a few of those tiny bottles of vodka. Anyway, after about three hours, they were passed out. My friend grabs one of the empty bottles and chucks it into the mosh pit. After the show, some kid asks us for a ride. We ask where his ride is, and he tells us that his ride had to go to the haspital to get stitches because he was hit with a bottle. The show was awesome, though.

Guest Don Becker

Not really a particularly weird experience... saw Live on the Throwing Copper tour, right after "All Over You" started getting airplay.  Anyway, there were three women in their late-20's/early-30's in front of us who talked through the entire set, and only shut up during "All Over You" and "Lightning Crashes" (which were the first two songs of the encore).  Anyway, they (along with half the crowd at Jones Beach Amphitheater) left after "Lightning Crashes", so Ed K. dedicates "White, Discussion" to "the seven or eight of you that decided to stay until the end."  And they tore it up - one of the best concert-closers ever.

Guest cdstunner66

I went to see Sevendust at a club just after their first album came out. I was in the bar area and started talking to theese two girls. They pulled over Clint from Sevendust (before I knew who he was, as I had only heard them on the radio) and him and I proceeded to get in a huge argument about WCW vs. WWF. Keep in mind this was in late 97.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Those Lowery brothers, Clint and Corey, have always been wrestling fans...

Guest TUS_02

On the said Rolling Rock Tour I went to, Live was there.  They were on right before the headliners... STP.  Anyway, they went through their set, which I really enjoyed... then did their thing and left... there was maybe 2/5ths of the people there were chanting for an encore, but EVERYONE was chanting for STP... so guess what happens?!  That's right... MINORITY RULES!  Again, they played great, but it was funny as hell to see them come back on when no one really wanted them to.

Guest goodhelmet

In the early 90's I was at an Alice Cooper concert. During "Steven", I had my lighter out. Well the chick in front of me had so much Aqua Net in her hair that I practically singed her entire hairdo. Man, once that smell of Aqua Net and burnt hair mixed, it was time to stand somewhere else.

Guest imajackoff?

When the first band of 2000 HFStival at Fed Ex Field was starting their set, two girls who couldnt have been over the age of 16 made their way thru the crowd right by me wearing NOTHING but backpacks.  It was a long day folks.

Guest KidPW

This is not really weird but it something that just happens to the best of us.  This was back in 95, and my friend and I were at the Lords of Acid/ My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult show, and during the Lords Of Acid set, I lost a contact lense in the Mosh Pit.  The funny thing about it was, I caught the damn contact lense in my hand, and proceded to Mosh until the set was over.  I went to the bathroom put the contact back in my eye, and made it back to the mosh pit before the Lords of Acid came back out for an encore.

Guest Maurizio C... Version 2

This was during a Green Day concert in '98, I guess... me and my buddy are trying to get into the theather free... security catches us in the bathroom... we get thrown out... a guy that was there actually injure his legs... so we, me and my buddy, end up playing cards with a few other guys... I mean, my buddy and the guys played cards, I was actually dancing in the streets listening to the music that was coming outta the theathre... funny shit!

Guest Shaved Bear

i was at a slayer concert and there was this guy that was beating up everyone, and he had like 4 300lb cronies behind him

this really pissed me off, because i wanted to fight him, but if i took him on, id be dead.  said it before say it again, young slayer fans are cool, old slayer fans are assholes

Guest areacode212

Why was he beating everyone up? That actually sounds like a fun thing to watch, in a WWF monster heel kind of way.

Anyway, I was at the infamous Montreal Show, when James got fried, then a while later (after a two hour wait), Axl & GNR took off early after a 40-minute set. Which was, of course, followed by a bit of rioting.

But the weirdest part was...I was there...with my AUNT. Man, that sucked.