TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

YOU WANT ANSWERS? I'll give you some!

I just started a gig at insidepulse.com as a Q&A guy, column isn't up yet, but I'd like to start fielding some questions so I can build a second column!

Much like Leonard's (WrestleDeacon) at 411 movie column, this is what I'd hope to be an FAQ style column.

So feel free to email me at [email protected] so I can get the ball rolling

First, however are some ground rules:

-I love lists, but limit lists to between 5 and 10, and make them interesting. Sure I can rattle off the greatest running backs of all time, but a more interesting way to ask is Top 5 I would want to win the ultimate game with, or Top 5 biggest RB busts for example.

-Keep away from minutia of stats. I truly hope that readers don’t want to see me rattle off the top 20 three point scorers in NBA history, or try to research an obscure stat like who hit the most homers in the month of June, 1984 when there was a full moon. There are stuff I’d be more than happy to help with, such as “Who hit the most homers in the history of the Minor League?” Basically the questions I would like to answer about stats will be able to let me tell “the story behind the stats”

-Any topic that has to do with sports is fair game. Obviously, the Big 4 North American sports are my “bread and butter” but feel free to ask about any other sports topic. Well, within reason. Topics about sports media, (both local and national, TV, radio, print and even internet) college, tennis, golf, boxing, and lesser sports like soccer are all available. Don’t feel bad if I don’t get to your question in time for my next column, it may just be I need to do more research on the question.

Well, now I’ll give an example of a good Q&A I would hope that this column will provide:

Q Hello Steve, got a question about the recent Hall of Fame nominations in football, and Michael Irvin got snubbed! Why is the Playmaker not going to Canton this summer?

Well, for one I would suspect there are a few voters who thought Irvin’s career was cut too short, unfair of course but still. However, I’m sure some people might suggest that Michael Irvin’s well documented off the field problems cost him “first time enshrinement” the same way enshrinement eluded Carl Eller until this past year. Some might question the logic of keeping Irvin out when Lawrence Taylor got in on the first crack, no questions asked. Well Taylor’s nomination WAS a controversial one at the time, but when you think about it, LT was the type of transcendental player, the “one of a kinds” that deserve “first year” status. LT revolutionized the position, and can be considered THE, not ONE OF THE, greatest players to line up at his position. However, as great as Michael Irvin was, there was nothing particularly “special” about his greatness. He did things great Wide Receivers had done for years, still do this day, and will do in the future. Irvin may belong in the team picture of the greatest receivers in NFL history, but he certainly isn’t THE greatest WR in the history of the game. That honor belongs to the current #80 in Seattle, Jerry Rice. However, it would be a shame if 5 years from now, when Emmitt Smith gets the call, Michael Irvin were not in the Hall. In fact, Troy Aikman is up next year, somehow I doubt voters next winter will pass up the opportunity to enshrine the Aikman-Irvin combo that led the last NFL “Dynasty” before the current Pats one.

I look forward to hearing from you

Steve

or try to research an obscure stat like who hit the most homers in the month of June, 1984 when there was a full moon.

Eight palyers (Dave Winfield, Jim Rice, Ron Kittle, Dave Kingman, Tim Wallach, Cesar Cedeno, Joel Youngblood, Mike Marhsall) all each hit a homerun on June 13, 1984 when there was a full moon. DUH!!!

or try to research an obscure stat like who hit the most homers in the month of June, 1984 when there was a full moon.

Eight palyers (Dave Winfield, Jim Rice, Ron Kittle, Dave Kingman, Tim Wallach, Cesar Cedeno, Joel Youngblood, Mike Marhsall) all each hit a homerun on June 13, 1984 when there was a full moon. DUH!!!

Okay, ya wanna go, lets go...

Who holds the record for most At Bats against Nolan Ryan without ever striking out

Damnit Bored. I spent five minutes finding that full moon before I scrolled down and saw you answered it.

Okay, ya wanna go, lets go...

Who holds the record for most At Bats against Nolan Ryan without ever striking out

Not sure if they had batter vs pitcher splits back then(Not sure where to look for that matter as Retrosheet doesn't show B vs P and Yahoo doesn't come close to going that far back).

I did find that Nolan was 56-36 in September with a career 2.88 ERA. He also was 24-14 vs Kansas City with a 2.65 ERA for his career.

In all seriousness, if you find yourself truly stumped by an MLB question, feel free to drop me a line.

I will never be able to get into baseball as much as football just because of the frightening amount of statistics that are kept.

Really, baseball record-keeping is not that complicated. The pitcher faces the batter, and the result is recorded for each. A hit, an out, assist for the fielder, etc. There's really not much more recorded than there is for the NFL, when you'll record who ran the ball, who tackled the ballcarrier, how many yards he gained, and so on. The difference is that baseball analysts have learned to refine that raw information into something informative and useful. I do not think a massive understanding of statistics is necessary for the enjoyment of the game.

I just started a gig at insidepulse.com as a Q&A guy, column isn't up yet, but I'd like to start fielding some questions so I can build a second column!

Much like Leonard's (WrestleDeacon) at 411 movie column, this is what I'd hope to be an FAQ style column.

So feel free to email me at [email protected] so I can get the ball rolling

First, however are some ground rules:

-I love lists, but limit lists to between 5 and 10, and make them interesting. Sure I can rattle off the greatest running backs of all time, but a more interesting way to ask is Top 5 I would want to win the ultimate game with, or Top 5 biggest RB busts for example.

-Keep away from minutia of stats. I truly hope that readers don’t want to see me rattle off the top 20 three point scorers in NBA history, or try to research an obscure stat like who hit the most homers in the month of June, 1984 when there was a full moon. There are stuff I’d be more than happy to help with, such as “Who hit the most homers in the history of the Minor League?” Basically the questions I would like to answer about stats will be able to let me tell “the story behind the stats”

-Any topic that has to do with sports is fair game. Obviously, the Big 4 North American sports are my “bread and butter” but feel free to ask about any other sports topic. Well, within reason. Topics about sports media, (both local and national, TV, radio, print and even internet) college, tennis, golf, boxing, and lesser sports like soccer are all available. Don’t feel bad if I don’t get to your question in time for my next column, it may just be I need to do more research on the question.

Well, now I’ll give an example of a good Q&A I would hope that this column will provide:

Q Hello Steve, got a question about the recent Hall of Fame nominations in football, and Michael Irvin got snubbed! Why is the Playmaker not going to Canton this summer?

Well, for one I would suspect there are a few voters who thought Irvin’s career was cut too short, unfair of course but still. However, I’m sure some people might suggest that Michael Irvin’s well documented off the field problems cost him “first time enshrinement” the same way enshrinement eluded Carl Eller until this past year. Some might question the logic of keeping Irvin out when Lawrence Taylor got in on the first crack, no questions asked. Well Taylor’s nomination WAS a controversial one at the time, but when you think about it, LT was the type of transcendental player, the “one of a kinds” that deserve “first year” status. LT revolutionized the position, and can be considered THE, not ONE OF THE, greatest players to line up at his position. However, as great as Michael Irvin was, there was nothing particularly “special” about his greatness. He did things great Wide Receivers had done for years, still do this day, and will do in the future. Irvin may belong in the team picture of the greatest receivers in NFL history, but he certainly isn’t THE greatest WR in the history of the game. That honor belongs to the current #80 in Seattle, Jerry Rice. However, it would be a shame if 5 years from now, when Emmitt Smith gets the call, Michael Irvin were not in the Hall. In fact, Troy Aikman is up next year, somehow I doubt voters next winter will pass up the opportunity to enshrine the Aikman-Irvin combo that led the last NFL “Dynasty” before the current Pats one.

I look forward to hearing from you

Steve

Surprised no one went for the Minor League career HR hitter (and it was MUCH MORE than the number Crash Davis was going for in Bull Durham... I think, was a number ever said on screen?) who is a guy who played in the Mexican Leagues during the 50'd-60'd named Hector Espino.

From what I read the was a guy who felt more comfortable playing in those leagues than the show, I guess fear of "The Big Time" Plus this was in the dying days of the old Independant circuts so there was still "weight" on leagues such as the PCL as "secondary" leagues to the Major's AL and NL

Thats a record though that would be hard to top. Don't think someone would toil that long in the minors without realizing that they just aren't going to make it to the show, or the cup of coffee they got was all they'll be able to show for the years they've put in.

Actually that was off the top of my head. Sure there are sites on the web on the guy (The minors have there own website somewhere, not sure if its still affliflated with MLB.com or not)

Just showing off the stuff that is floating around in my sports brain!

:lol: ;)

Steve

In all seriousness, if you find yourself truly stumped by an MLB question, feel free to drop me a line.

I will never be able to get into baseball as much as football just because of the frightening amount of statistics that are kept.

Really, baseball record-keeping is not that complicated. The pitcher faces the batter, and the result is recorded for each. A hit, an out, assist for the fielder, etc. There's really not much more recorded than there is for the NFL, when you'll record who ran the ball, who tackled the ballcarrier, how many yards he gained, and so on. The difference is that baseball analysts have learned to refine that raw information into something informative and useful. I do not think a massive understanding of statistics is necessary for the enjoyment of the game.

It's not the understanding of statistics, it's just that they seem to play a much, much larger role. Even the players are themselves numbers on scorecards. To the casual baseball fan such as myself it appears incredibly daunting.

http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players...r&type=Pitching

Best I could find was Carlos Baerga not striking out in ten at bats, with six hits.  I am sure someone's done better though.

Yup I searched all I could but Yahoo's are as far back as batter vs. hitter splits goes it appears.

Best I can come up with is Orlando Cabrera has the most at bats (17) against Randy Johnson without striking out.

Oh and Mike Marshall lead the Majors in 1984 with three homeruns when there was a full moon.

Best I could find was Carlos Baerga not striking out in ten at bats, with six hits.  I am sure someone's done better though.

Yup I searched all I could but Yahoo's are as far back as batter vs. hitter splits goes it appears.

Best I can come up with is Orlando Cabrera has the most at bats (17) against Randy Johnson without striking out.

Oh and Mike Marshall lead the Majors in 1984 with three homeruns when there was a full moon.

Hint, his last at bat against Ryan was probably during the 1988 season.

Very well known player for anyone older than 20

And here is another stumper, who was the last Major Leaguer to hit .400 in a single season with over 100 at bats

Steve

Hint, his last at bat against Ryan was probably during the 1988 season.

Very well known player for anyone older than 20

And here is another stumper, who was the last Major Leaguer to hit .400 in a single season with over 100 at bats

Steve

Fernando Valenzuela, Former Dodger pheonom, was all the rage during his hot rookie year of 1981 with "Fernando-mania" running wild in LA. Had a decent career for himself, but flamed out soon after his torrid start (kind of like Hideo Nomo's MLB career actually) was the guy with most ABs against Ryan with no Ks

And Bob Halze, a spare part Outfielder, for the 1957 Braves (curtosity of Baseball-Reference.com) hit .403 in 134 ABs

Steve