TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haws bah gawd

The Rock is Done with WWE

The Rock was recently internviewed on the Filmforce.com website about several of his upcoming film projects including Get Cool and Spy Hunter. When the topic of a WWE return comes up, he commented,

"No. They've been wanted for a long time to get into the movie business and, I'm not too sure, I think like low budget movies, a lot of them straight to video. I think they wanted to and were looking for different distributors. No, my contract is actually up with them, it was up last year, so I'm done…"

credit ProWrestling.com

This doesn't look too credible to me. The grammar in that second paragraph is awful.

Thoughts?

Guest Mordecai's Cathedral

Ok. What the hell did The Rock say in that "interview"? Sid's promos made more sense than that.

Guest Reservoir_Kitty

Nooooo.... :(

I hope this isn't true. I know the Rock isn't around a lot, but there's still always that hope to see him once in a great while.

Don't be like that, Dwayne :(

Just a thought... if he leaves, does that mean he has to leave the name "The Rock" behind if it's trademarked by the WWE? Would he just have to be Dwayne Johnson from then on?

Gotta say, whatever that was that he was trying to say in that interview, made the Warrior look like the all-knowing master of the English language by comparison. I guess his rumored Wrestlemania match with Sting has no chance of going down now.

Meltzer reported in the Observer 2-3 weeks ago he was done, actually getting quotes from him as well. Surprised nobody knew about this til now.

Just a thought... if he leaves, does that mean he has to leave the name "The Rock" behind if it's trademarked by the WWE? Would he just have to be Dwayne Johnson from then on?

I don't have the references anymore, but I remember some time ago reading about an agreement between himself and McMahon where he got to own the rights to the name 'The Rock" while McMahon got to be exec producer in a few of his films in order to get WWE more explosure.

As mentioned, the Observer reported a couple weeks ago that Rock and WWE are done. His contract ran out and when an extension for Wrestlemania was talked about, WWE wanted him to face JBL for the WWE title, and even supposedly would have him win the title (since it'd be a big suprise since no one would expect it), and then he'd job it back a week or 2 later on Smckdown, but Rock didn't like the idea. Instead he only wanted to return for something "special" and after watching a lot of old NWA tapes in his trailer on movie sets, he decided he'd like to have a match with Sting at Wrestlemania, but WWE didn't go for that idea, so the 2 sides couldn't come to terms and Rock as of now is not under WWE contract and will not be at Wrestlemania.

Guest Trivia247

Well, whatever as I said in the previous thread on this topic looks like we won't see the 80 year old Rock Gummer come down with his Walker saying Jusst bring it.... as he claimed when Austin went home to pout for a few months.

Rock took his Ball into Hollywood. So whatever..

Good for Rock.

He doesn't need the WWE anymore and he shouldn't be risking a more important career in movies that'll pay him considerable more just so the WWE can have him kill JBL's character.

He's got his money, he came back for Wrestlemania last year and he should just stay away from the stench the WWE has become.

Guest jumpingbombangel
Good for Rock.

He doesn't need the WWE anymore and he shouldn't be risking a more important career in movies that'll pay him considerable more just so the WWE can have him kill JBL's character.

He's got his money, he came back for Wrestlemania last year and he should just stay away from the stench the WWE has become.

Word that; if I were him, I wouldn't want my name associated with the current WWE product anyway. No one sees Travolta being pressured to do a Kotter reunion show, so why should Rock allow his stairstep to stardom become the albatross around his neck? He's proven his desire for the business and loyalty to the company...now it's time for him to retire young and reap the benefits unlike so many other former wrestlers who struggle to this day.

Good on ya, Rock. Smart man!

If Rock is indeed done with the WWE, of course, I HIGHLY doubt he will wrestle again if he decides to stay with the movie biz. He isn't gonna jump to TNA, nor will he be able to do indy wrestling. If that is what he wants, he better think it through. Or maybe Vince will leave the door open for Rock for a comeback.

Rock probably made more money doing three movies than he did his entire career in the WWE while not killing himself and getting more time with his family.

This decision is a lay-up.

He has charisma, he's friends with major Hollywood players, his movies have had moderate success and at the very least have made back the investments studios made on him.

His choice is, easiest job in the world where he gets paid more and gets more family time....or risk serious damage to his face, neck, back, knee while barely getting to see his family for less money.

If this was him choosing between TNA's more money and the WWE, I'd call him insane for picking TNA. This isn't anything like that. He no longer needs wrestling at all.

If Rock is indeed done with the WWE, of course, I HIGHLY doubt he will wrestle again if he decides to stay with the movie biz. He isn't gonna jump to TNA, nor will he be able to do indy wrestling. If that is what he wants, he better think it through. Or maybe Vince will leave the door open for Rock for a comeback.

What's to think through? The man makes more money doing one movie then nearly his entire wrestling career could bring him, he has like at least 5 projects confirmed for the next few years, he's a celebrity, still young and injury free and will have all the wealth he wants to retire whenever he wants. Why would he regret this? Why does he need Vince? Jesus, TNA? Indys!? Are you SERIOUS!?

The Rock probably would have jobbed the Smackdown title to HHH after HHH gets sent to SD! in the RAW lottery. Bradshaw could then make the big face turn and fight HHH for the rest of the year. Or at least until the company loses all it's TV time. It'd be a snob feud for the ages.

See...this is why I don't get why WWE pushed Rock into doing movies in the first place? Did they think he wasn't going to become such a big star? Or was it that he would somehow be able to juggle movies and wrestling? They got him into the position of being a name in Hollywood, and now he's not making money for them anymore.

See...this is why I don't get why WWE pushed Rock into doing movies in the first place? Did they think he wasn't going to become such a big star? Or was it that he would somehow be able to juggle movies and wrestling? They got him into the position of being a name in Hollywood, and now he's not making money for them anymore.

Which is why they created WWE films, so wrestler's acting ambitions can be fulfilled with low budget, straight to video stock that is completely controlled by WWE, and thus avoid ever losing anyone else to Hollywood! It's brilliant! (and a money loser!).

negotiating tactic. He'll be back at some point.

What would Rock be trying to negotiate exactly? He has enough money and doesn't need them and they don't really think they need him at the moment.

They made money via The Rock going to Hollywood because Vince gets a producer credit on his movies.

Plus having one of their wrestlers go on to be a big movie star makes them look good.

Guest rawmvp

From WrestlingClassics:

Here's what Rock told Dave meltzer about the breakup (paraphrased):

"It was an oddly quiet ending. No interaction from the front office or from the old man (Vince), himself. Surprising to say the least, especially after 8 years..."

Meltzer also implied that the reasoning behind Vince's unwillingness to sign Rock to a contract extension can be attributed to the rise of power of Rock's political ally, Triple H.